new P7 driver 3amps?

1 what

Enlightened
I'm not an expert but I ordered 1 last night.....We'll see what it's up to when it gets delivered.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow i should probably get one of those for sure. but i will wait to see what you guys have to say about it.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look nice on the spec but quite expensive for me...I'll wait for someone to test it out.

James35

Newly Enlightened
Look nice on the spec but quite expensive for me...I'll wait for someone to test it out.
Really? $12 is expensive in comparison to the the rest of the light? In my opinion, ALL of these driver boards I've found are a steal! Even the best D2DIM is only $20.

Let's say you were going to make a Mag 3D P7 light:
$20 Mag 3D
$27 P7
$20 heat sink
$12 driver
$36 batteries
$15 MOP reflector
$6 lens
$5 charging jack
$2 thermal adhesive
$3 bicycle tubing
$5 wire
$20 shipping
Total = $171
This $12 driver is only 7% of the overall parts cost, not to mention your time in building it.

marschw

Newly Enlightened
Well, it may not be a large percentage of the price of the project, but that's not an excuse for the seller to overprice it...

BTW, my Mag 6D P7 project was:

Mag 6D: $25 (Fry's B&M)
C-bin P7: $23 (DX SKU 12721)
Heat sink: $14 (DHS's)
Driver: $6.50 (KD SKU 4338)
Batteries: $59 (all-batteries.com SKU 835: 4x F-size 14Ah NiMH) :mecry:
Reflector: $5 (DX SKU 12229)

Things like wire and thermal grease and glue I had on hand, and shipping was free on everything. Total=$133... but I'm probably gonna buy the expensive driver anyway just to test it out. :twothumbs

Last edited:

James35

Newly Enlightened
More power to you if you can make a driver for less than $12. I can't. Not worth my time. :) I'm very appreciative that we have such nice choices out there for such low cost.

JustinS

Newly Enlightened
Really? $12 is expensive in comparison to the the rest of the light? In my opinion, ALL of these driver boards I've found are a steal! Even the best D2DIM is only $20.

$20 Mag 3D
$27 P7
$20 heat sink
$12 driver
$36 batteries
$15 MOP reflector
$6 lens
$5 charging jack
$2 thermal adhesive
$3 bicycle tubing
$5 wire
$20 shipping
Total = $171
This $12 driver is only 7% of the overall parts cost, not to mention your time in building it.

Can I ask what the bike tube is for, is it for going over the drivers??
Cheers
Justin

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i just dont expect 12 dollar driver came from KD.

$20 Mag 3D
$27 P7
$20 heat sink
$12 driver
$36 batteries
$15 MOP reflector
$6 lens
$5 charging jack
$2 thermal adhesive
$3 bicycle tubing
$5 wire
$20 shipping
Total = $171

James35

Newly Enlightened
Can I ask what the bike tube is for, is it for going over the drivers??
Cheers
Justin
It's for the outside of the light. This can be helpful for 3 things: extra grip, insulate your hands from the cold light in the winter time, and protect the charging jack from water.

marschw

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed, the layout of the board looks similar, if not identical, to the unpopulated underside of the driver in the EYJ-XAQ5. It even has that odd little peg for a center contact.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New P7 driver 3 amps?

I don't know what the bottom thing means about only putting out 1A.
That appears to be the draw on the battery. The whole thing is messy and unclear, but I'm particularly disappointed the spec writer can't make up his mind whether it's 3.0 amps or 2.8 amps.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

That appears to be the draw on the battery. The whole thing is messy and unclear, but I'm particularly disappointed the spec writer can't make up his mind whether it's 3.0 amps or 2.8 amps.

Huh, that can't be right if it output is near 3A? :thinking:

Beer

Enlightened
It's for the outside of the light. This can be helpful for 3 things: extra grip, insulate your hands from the cold light in the winter time, and protect the charging jack from water.

Tell me of this "charging jack" you speak of!?!? I posted a "wanted" thread in the custom B/S/T forum about a jack to charge cells in a mag and got nothin.

Better yet just PM me so I don't hijack this thread. THANKS!!

:tinfoil:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast

Huh, that can't be right if it output is near 3A? :thinking:

Quick back of the envelope calculation using 4.0 Volts as the Vf, Vin of 13.2, 3.0 Amp to the emmitter, and 90% efficiency gives me 1.01Amps from the battery with KD claiming 1.0 Amps. For a buck circuit their numbers seem to make sense.

Another way to look at it, that is easier for my brain to wrap around, is in terms of Power.
4V*3A=12 watts to the emitter.
13.2V*1.01A = 13.3 watts provided.
13.3 Watts *.1= 1.3 watts lost in the 90% efficiency driver
Power to the emitter plus power lost to inefficiency (heat) should equal the total power supplied.
13.3W supplied -1.3W lost = 12 Watts provided to the LED