McGizmo's PD design is pure genius

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really have to give props to Don's PD design. Looking at my AA lights, I realize what a waste it can be, to have 3 pieces of a light to assemble, with two threads, multiple O-rings to keep lubed, etc.

When I lined up all my lights, it's clear the two piece design like the NiteCore ND10 that uses Don's PD design is so much shorter than the other lights I have, even the venerable Jet-1 IBS, which is short but the clicky is so hard to use. I suspect the clicky may have fallen short in the Jet-1 IBS because they tried to shorten the overall length, and it just didn't quite work out.

I much prefer two piece lights now, that still allow me to click, instead of only using twisty action. Don's PD design makes the two piece construction short as possible, without sacrificing any click functionality. The other major problem Don's PD design helps me avoid, is that I don't accidentally unscrew the tail when trying to twist the head, which happens a lot on other lights like the NDI. It annoys me to no end when the tail comes loose when I'm trying to change modes on the NDI. It makes me realize how unnecessary a 3 piece design really is, compared to the simpler and more elegant 2 piece design.

To me, McGizmo is a modern day Einstein, who is able to invent something so amazing and useful. The PD design is pure genius. Here's to you Don, real man of genius!! This Bud's on me!!! :kiss::kiss::goodjob::goodjob:

Illum

Flashaholic
Don's work does that sometimes...you look at it from a picture and it doesn't click. when you actually take one and use it it hits like a brick for being only a couple ounces:thumbsup:

X_Marine

Enlightened
And he continues to bring new ideas to the users as we speak..

Have to tag along this train.. lol
X..

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don's PD lights are very addicting. I didn't think I would like the PD design, but once I got one, I realized how nice it was and got hooked to it.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Don IS a light genius!!!! I am completely hooked on McGizmo's!!!

m16a

Enlightened
I don't own a McGizmo light, nor will I for a while due to price, but I love them and hope I can afford one eventually. I love the PD design he came up with, its brilliant in the Smart PD lights. Thanks for the brilliance Don. Great Job!!!!!:thumbsup:

artec540

Enlightened
I really have to give props to Don's PD design. Looking at my AA lights, I realize what a waste it can be, to have 3 pieces of a light to assemble, with two threads, multiple O-rings to keep lubed, etc.

When I lined up all my lights, it's clear the two piece design like the NiteCore ND10 that uses Don's PD design is so much shorter than the other lights I have, even the venerable Jet-1 IBS, which is short but the clicky is so hard to use. I suspect the clicky may have fallen short in the Jet-1 IBS because they tried to shorten the overall length, and it just didn't quite work out.

I much prefer two piece lights now, that still allow me to click, instead of only using twisty action. Don's PD design makes the two piece construction short as possible, without sacrificing any click functionality. The other major problem Don's PD design helps me avoid, is that I don't accidentally unscrew the tail when trying to twist the head, which happens a lot on other lights like the NDI. It annoys me to no end when the tail comes loose when I'm trying to change modes on the NDI. It makes me realize how unnecessary a 3 piece design really is, compared to the simpler and more elegant 2 piece design.

To me, McGizmo is a modern day Einstein, who is able to invent something so amazing and useful. The PD design is pure genius. Here's to you Don, real man of genius!! This Bud's on me!!! :kiss::kiss::goodjob::goodjob:

I have recently acquired a NiteCore PD EX10 and like it very much for its size and convenience. I always admire elegant design, too.
What other PD lights are there, I only know of the EX 10 and the D 10? It looks as if the same design would translate into bigger lights with similar advantages.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
artec540 ... there are Don's own lights using the piston-drive concept.

Like this one:
McLuxIII086.jpg

Or those:
LunaSol27andMule2.jpg

Or this:
group.jpg

etc.

bernie

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think it does.

IIRC from the posts I've read, you can push the piston forward for momentary low then high. Since I don't go to the McGizmo forums often, I could be saying something completely false.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The McGizmo PD lights do have momentary. Press a little for low and some more for high momentary. Rotate the head for low constant and some more for high constant on. You can use hogh momentary while low constant is running.

The best KISS 2-stage UI IMHO, just like the SF A2, L1, L2 etc. ... but there you turn the tailcap whereas with Don's lights it is the head.

PK ... is the father of the best flashlights commercially available ... and ... a major wheenie :nana:

bernie

carrot

Flashaholic
Can't forget about that OTHER genius in the back... Larry, maker of the incredible lights that money can't buy.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think it is the logics in the MCU that makes both clicky and twisty is possible with PD system is that right? PD by itself doesnt do the effects since it is basically only a "switch".

Loves the PD design and looking forward to having one. i believe Don's lights are too expensive/exclusive for most(in a good way), thanks to Nitefore and 4Seven? for bringing Don's piece of art down for the masses.

Last edited: