Energizer e2 lithium batteries vs alkaline? pros & cons

cleetus03

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if someone could answer in words not data what advantages energizer e2 lithium batteries offer over regular alkaline cells. More specifically is the difference in both power and energy capacity noticeable to make a significant difference? Also I have read numerous threads which give various voltage readings concerning the e2 battery. The box states 1.5 volts but other sources state 1.7 or #'s between 1.5 & 1.7. I appreciate the help.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Lithium batteries are much better at high current than alkaline, that is very important in high power flashlights.
In real life it means that a lithium may power the flashlight for far longer (i.e. 3-4 times) than a alkaline when on full power, on low power the lithium will still win, but with a considerable smaller margin.

Another advantage of lithium is that your can store them for very long time (10-15 years) and they will still work.

Alkaline batteries can leak, lithium does not leak!

cleetus03

Newly Enlightened
Like i said in my post i'm looking for an answer in words not data jargon in the forms of graphs and statistics.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Compared to alkaline:

They have more energy
They can last for 15-20 years
They work well in hot weather
They work well in cold
Lights will run longer AND brighter
They weigh less
They will not leak

e2 Lithium cells are superior in every way except price. Their value on the other hand, IMO, easily surpasses alkaline cells.

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience the energizer lithium AA and AAA are vastly superior to regualar alkalines especiially in high drain devices such as flashlights and cameras etc...

Not so much of a difference in low drain devices such as the Tv remote control but a difference non the less.

edit: Marduke has a better answer.

Patriot

Flashaholic
For me the appeal is mainly reliability and run-time. I often use these batteries in AA lights or equipment (like a GPS's) that I must absolutely rely on. They've never let me down and I can't make that same claim for alkalines.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium batteries are an enviormental hazard due to the chemicals inside and should be recycled but nobody seems to take them, so they just end up leaching chemicals into out landfills.

Todays high end Nimh outperform alkalines in high current applications and still have 70% of the capacity of Lithium. For under $50 (charger + cells) I can have a fresh charged Nimh in my EDC ever single morning for a couple years. Try that with lithiums. I'd rather have a full charged Eneloop than a half used lithium any day.

Lithiums still have their place, where stability and long shelf are needed. Like backups in your bug out bag or in car storage for emergency use.
EDC use = waste of money

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say Marduke got it pretty right, although for low drain devices at normal temperatures they don't have so much advantage.

The major disagreement I have with his comments is about their value. For particular (you might even say "niche") uses maybe they are very useful, but I go with Cave Dave's comments about low self discharge NiMHs. They make the value of lithium primary cells look very low indeed for all of my uses. YMMV.

kirby

Newly Enlightened
Would a e2 lithium cost more or cost less then alkaline batteries per mAh that we can get out of them? ie which is more economical to use?

How come there is only AA and AAA size Energizer e2 and no C and D size?

LouRoy

Enlightened
I'll chime in here also with a vote for Eneloops. There is no reason to use E2 lithium batteries on a regular basis. They cost too much and are not good for the environment as compared to rechargeable solutions.

The only use I have for E2 lithiums is for emergency lights in vehicles, backup lights, etc. As others have so well stated, primary lithiums work well in cold and hot weather, they last a long time (so the light in the car trunk that you have ignored for five years might still work when you need it,) and they supposedly do not leak.

I'm not even sure alkalines are worthwhile anymore since the advent of low self discharge rechargeable cells (such as Eneloops). Alkalines leak, don't handle high drain lights very well, and are also a disposal problem.

So I recommend you get some Eneloops and a charger for most of your needs and a handful of E2 lithiums for a few select lights.

mighty82

Enlightened
Alkalines simply doesn't work well with any high power flashligts. They give you VERY bad performance. With alkalines your flashlight will start dimming immediately because of the voltage sagging, and you will only get a short time of useful output. With e2 or NiMh you will get a constant output till the batteries are empty with most flashlights. It's as easy as that. Alkalines are just for emergencies when it comes to any high power flashlight.

Marduke

Flashaholic
When I said e2 trumps alkalines cells hands down, I really wasn't bringing NiMH into the mix. About 90% of what I actually use is NiMH, mostly LSD. Like what was said above, they offer many of the same pros as e2, few cons (still trump alkaline in almost every way), and only cost around 2 cents per cycle IIRC.

martytoo

Newly Enlightened
Trouble from 1.8 volts? - even in 2AA use?

I just picked up two of the Ray O Vac 1 watt made by Nuwai, 2aa lights. (Walmart closeout at $9 each.)

I like the higher output of the non rechargeable Lithium Energizer batteries as it translates to a bit brighter beam. My only worry is that at about 1.8 volts, this will mean 3.6 volts total rather than the 3 volts that alkaline cells will produce.

Is that extra voltage enough to fry the light? I would rather thrown the Lithiums in the light for car-glovebox use. They will be less likely to be dead when used some time in the future after sitting unused in the hot and cold car.

51vtKj-kLVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Trouble from 1.8 volts? - even in 2AA use?

Is that extra voltage enough to fry the light?

Some Petzl LED lights warn AGAINST using lithium primaries. It causes these lights to over heat. It may not fail right away, but LED life will be shortened.