Miboxer        
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Darwin Award candidate

  1. #1

    Default Darwin Award candidate

    This woman whips out a .44 magnum, and decides to hunt mice in a trailer! She ends up shooting herself and a male companion by accident.


    http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...er_shoots_self

    Obviously, this is too much gun to hunt mice.



    The bigger problem is that she ignored gun safety and ended up injuring two people.

    There are some funny comments about this in this forum:

    http://forums.pressdemocrat.com/eve/...7/m/6281071637
    Last edited by o0o; 07-08-2008 at 05:29 PM.

  2. #2
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,113

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    A .44 Magnum? Was she afraid that the mouse was going to shoot back?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    Someone photoshopped an image of a mouse holding a .45 in that forum I included. LOL

  4. #4
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Belton Texas
    Posts
    1,641

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    I had a roomate hunt mice with my gun many years ago while I was off on vacation. When I came back and noticed some ammo missing, I asked what he used it for. "This mouse was making a bunch of noise and I couldn't sleep. I could see him back between the walls in the basement but I couldn't reach him. So I started shooting to chase him out."

    At least he was only using my .25 Auto.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    If she had a pet cat, her mice infestation would be reduced, and she'd still have a functioning knee cap.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    This is actually the 2nd such incident I heard about.

    The first involved a man who had tried unsuccessfully to kill a mouse in his apartment. After trying all the conventional means, he apparently got stoned, pulled out a .357 Magnum, and started blasting away!

    When the cops showed up, he cooperated; and put his gun down. He then explained that his neighbors were in no danger because he wasn't aiming at them. He was just trying to kill the mouse that was in his apartment. Cops found numerous bullet holes in the wall. The mouse was apparently still alive.... as the cops took the man way.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* Crenshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,305

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    people shouldnt play with guns...tsk tsk tsk....

    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=202306



    Crenshaw

  8. #8

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    This behavior isn't that uncommon where this lady was hanging out. There is a small but dedicated band of meth users in the area.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    Reminds me of an article I read a while back about a woman using a 12 GA to try removing a corn/callus on her heel. She was drinking but it is hard to beleive you can get so wasted that this seemed like a good idea.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by 83Venture View Post
    Reminds me of an article I read a while back about a woman using a 12 GA to try removing a corn/callus on her heel. She was drinking but it is hard to beleive you can get so wasted that this seemed like a good idea.
    Yikes!

    A 12 guage is likely going to remove a lot more than just a corn.

    It likely removed her whole foot?

    She must have been *very high* to even think about doing that.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by 83Venture View Post
    Reminds me of an article I read a while back about a woman using a 12 GA to try removing a corn/callus on her heel. She was drinking but it is hard to beleive you can get so wasted that this seemed like a good idea.
    Never underestimate the sheer power of human stupidity.

    It knows no bounds.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  12. #12
    Flashaholic Valolammas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    62.2ºN, 25.7ºE
    Posts
    335

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    That was funny, thanks guys!

    The next time I see a gun thread where someone exclaims, "I wish somebody could tell just what they mean by reasonable gun control", I'll have a link to post.


  13. #13

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by Valolammas View Post
    That was funny, thanks guys!

    The next time I see a gun thread where someone exclaims, "I wish somebody could tell just what they mean by reasonable gun control", I'll have a link to post.
    Someone that stupid could easily get behind the wheel of a car and cause far more damage. And in fact, it happens every day with drunk drivers. Yet no one screams for car-control.

    Lets see:
    230-grain, .45 ACP FMJ bullet, traveling at about 950 FPS.

    VS.

    2-ton, vehicle, traveling at about 70 MPH.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    Update to the story:

    http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...ouse_shooter__

    The woman may be charged with a crime...

  15. #15
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,113

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    She was the landlord, she has a drinking problem and she carries a gun?!!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    She was the landlord, she has a drinking problem and she carries a gun?!!
    Truly a terrible combination...

    Guns and booze/drugs don't mix.

  17. #17
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    634

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Someone that stupid could easily get behind the wheel of a car and cause far more damage. And in fact, it happens every day with drunk drivers. Yet no one screams for car-control.

    Lets see:
    230-grain, .45 ACP FMJ bullet, traveling at about 950 FPS.

    VS.

    2-ton, vehicle, traveling at about 70 MPH.
    hehehe Americans (TIC)

    Dont worry, in my youth i was holidaying in the centre of NSW (outback for you guys.... ha i cannot stop my self today). Anyway, we were out roo and wild pig shooting and were just heading back for our first night in an old no longer used building on the property.
    We were just coming up to the house at dusk and were no more that a football field away and saw a bright flash followed by a shotgun blast followed by what shounded like hale in the metal car roof.....

    So after the necessary 'oh shiiiiiiiii' we get to the house jump out only to see the land owner, shotty in hand going room to room umm creating holes in the walls to feed power cords through so we could have light... I think he was in a hurry

  18. #18

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    First, it can only be a Darwin Award if it removed the person from the gene pool. Also, it can't be self-inflicted. The linked articles don't mention whether the .44 round sterilized the guy, and it wasn't his decision to shoot mice with a .44 Mag (more on that later) anyway. The woman could get an Honorable Mention, which basically means that she's lucky she's not a Darwin Award candidate.

    Second, what kind of revolver was this that discharged when it hit the floor? The second article says that she dropped it as she was unholstering it. Does she have so little sense that she carries it with the hammer cocked? If not, I'm very, extremely interested to hear what model accidentally discharges due to a fall. Heck, I don't even know how she got such a handgun, as CA (where the incident occured) requires that all handguns sold must pass a drop test, among others.

    A .177 airgun is one of the few marginally acceptable tools for shooting rodents indoors, assuming that you really have to. Even a .22 can go through several layers of sheetrock.

    Maybe she mistook the mouse for a wild boar.

  19. #19
    Flashaholic Valolammas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    62.2ºN, 25.7ºE
    Posts
    335

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    For the record, I am not American, nor will I ever be, so the 2nd amendment and the Great American Gun Debate do not concern me. However, I actually do care a little bit about it, because most (if not all) of my American internet-friends and acquaintances are pro-gun. For what it's worth, if I could, I'd be on their side.

    But despite that, I find it amusing how touchy both sides of the issue are. Any "suspicious" statement immediately brings out the aggressive rhetoric and counter-argument. Therefore:
    Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Someone that stupid could easily get behind the wheel of a car and cause far more damage. And in fact, it happens every day with drunk drivers. Yet no one screams for car-control.
    Yep, and some moron could even get his hands on a book of matches and use them to do even more damage. Besides, don't you think that "licence and registration" business counts as car control? I live in a very gun-controlled country, and even I think cars are more controlled than guns. Granted, you don't need a permit to buy a car, but you sure need one to operate it, and where I live, getting a driver's licence is not a trivial walk-through. Plus, to keep the registration in order, you must have your car officially inspected once a year and pay the mandatory insurance etc. After you get a gun, you have a gun and that's it. There are no check ups, inspections or anything.

    Anyway, my post above was intended as a joke, sort of in the same vein as the "gun control means using both hands". The joke was that being reasonable requires the use of reason, i.e. reasonable gun control means you'll also have to use your brain a little, which some gun owners apparently don't. Sorry, I guess I should have explained that a bit more clearly.


  20. #20

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    First, it can only be a Darwin Award if it removed the person from the gene pool. Also, it can't be self-inflicted. The linked articles don't mention whether the .44 round sterilized the guy, and it wasn't his decision to shoot mice with a .44 Mag (more on that later) anyway. The woman could get an Honorable Mention, which basically means that she's lucky she's not a Darwin Award candidate.

    Second, what kind of revolver was this that discharged when it hit the floor? The second article says that she dropped it as she was unholstering it. Does she have so little sense that she carries it with the hammer cocked? If not, I'm very, extremely interested to hear what model accidentally discharges due to a fall. Heck, I don't even know how she got such a handgun, as CA (where the incident occured) requires that all handguns sold must pass a drop test, among others.

    A .177 airgun is one of the few marginally acceptable tools for shooting rodents indoors, assuming that you really have to. Even a .22 can go through several layers of sheetrock.

    Maybe she mistook the mouse for a wild boar.
    I'm guessing its a very late model single-action Ruger before the safety conversion came out. IIRC, CA law says you cannot buy a gun that fails drop tests. It does NOT say that you cannot own one -- and many people here still do own guns that are very old.

    She was probably so drunk that she hostered it with the hammer cocked.


    Or... she lied about it firing after falling to take some heat off her (maybe she was so drunk that SHE accidently fired it and hurt herself and one other person).

  21. #21

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    The plot thickens...

    http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...t_face_charges

    Not guilty by reason of stupidty.
    Last edited by o0o; 07-11-2008 at 09:58 AM.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by o0o View Post
    A perfect example of the line in my Sig.

    Who cares about criminal intent, certain acts are illegal by themselves. In NYC, if an armed Security Guard draws his weapon in public (and his Life isn't in danger) it's an automatic felony! If the guard makes a mistake, he not only loses his license and job, but also goes to prison. In this case, mistake = drawing but not firing his weapon. If he even touches it, in its holster (without a good reason) he still gets charged with a crime.

    But apparently, in some places, a person can discharge a firearm while being drunk off their @$$; and not face charges. Brilliant.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    A perfect example of the line in my Sig.

    Who cares about criminal intent, certain acts are illegal by themselves. In NYC, if an armed Security Guard draws his weapon in public (and his Life isn't in danger) it's an automatic felony! If the guard makes a mistake, he not only loses his license and job, but also goes to prison. In this case, mistake = drawing but not firing his weapon. If he even touches it, in its holster (without a good reason) he still gets charged with a crime.

    But apparently, in some places, a person can discharge a firearm while being drunk off their @$$; and not face charges. Brilliant.
    The ironic thing to me, is that California is one of the most liberal and gun hating states in the nation. They make it very tough on responsible gun owners to have any freedoms. Yet, you get a brainless drunk woman firing .44 magnums inside a trailer, and they let her go without even a fine.

  24. #24
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South West Michigan
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    They must of been some R.O.U.S. I didnt think they really existed.
    Last edited by Fizz753; 07-11-2008 at 11:35 AM.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Darwin Award candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by Fizz753 View Post
    They must of been some R.O.U.S. I didnt think they really existed.
    Rodents Of Unusual Size? Nah, they don't exist.


    Aaaghh!!!






    If you don't use a flashlight, you'll probably fall off a cliff, get hurt, or die - Hooked on Fenix
    CPF: Because 6-figure illumination just isn't enough. - maxa beam
    As a backup to my backup to back up my backup's backup. - Roger999

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •