GREAT Hosts including 1 Headlamp) for the Everled!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got off the phone with Greg at www.brightguy.com , and I was talking to him about the Everled, and he told me that he just placed an order for the everled Luxeon Star PR replacements.

He mentioned several lights that he thought would be perfect hosts for the Everled, including one Headlamp, and I thought I would share them here as I most of these lights have not yet been discussed as EverLED Hosts. Note that the 2AA has a textured Reflector:

koe2aay.jpg

Koelher Bright Star 2AA Responder. Has a textured reflector.

koeresp3cyel.jpg

The Koehler Bright Star 3C Responder - Tailcap switch, smooth reflector

koe2c.jpg

The Koehler Bright Star 2C Responder Smooth Reflector
koe4aay.jpg

The Koehler Bright Star 4AA Responder (Smooth Reflector, tailcap switch)
koereshead.jpg

Koehler-Bright Star / LSI 4AA Responder Headlamp Smooth Reflector - Can get a Rubber Strap for Headlamp mount.

All these lights take PR Base bulbs according to Greg.

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
Did he happen to mention if he had tried an Everled in each of these lights. I've heard others that have stated that because of the increased length of the Everled that they don't fit all pr based lights. I am very interested in getting the headlamp you show, but I would like to know for sure that my led will fit this particular headlamp.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
He has not received his shipment of Everled's yet. (He might have a sample though).

Call him directly and ask him. That is what is nice about Greg. He will check it out, while you are on the phone, and test it for you.

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
woodbender said:
Did he happen to mention if he had tried an Everled in each of these lights. I've heard others that have stated that because of the increased length of the Everled that they don't fit all pr based lights. I am very interested in getting the headlamp you show, but I would like to know for sure that my led will fit this particular headlamp.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only lights I've seen mentioned with that problem are the PT20 and PT40. The PT 40 and PT20 are rather unique in the limited clearance for PR lamps. As it is, you have to be careful of which incandescents you put into them, since the lens is so close to lamp socket. I don't think you'll find many PR based lights that share that problem.

Wylie

Enlightened
I really like the fact these flashlights are waterproof to 100ft. Anybody know if the 4AA floats? I just want to make sure the EverLed is going to fit before I buy the flashlight also. I have already bought one flashlight on a whim and I am hoping to be able to adapt it to the EverLed.

Wylie

Enlightened
I just fond something that may help. This is the lamp specs for the 4AA Repsonder

Koehler Replacement LED Bulb for 4AA Responder Flashlight. Converts your 4AA Xenon Bulb to LED in seconds! Fits Responder Lights 200401, 200402, and 200403.
Product Code: LED-PR4

And there are more specs here.
Anybody know if the PR-4 base works?

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
I just talked to Greg at Brightguy. He said they do not have any EverLed's but have ordered some. He pulled out the headlamp and looked at it. Since it has focusability, this should allow the Everled to fit nicely. He said that once he gets them in stock, he will pull them out and try one out in a particular light. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and have him put one in the headlamp and try it out with an Everled in it. This would make a great home for mine assuming the beam quality isn't horrible. Looks like an excellent headlamp and I like the push button switch.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Wylie said:
Koehler Replacement LED Bulb for 4AA Responder Flashlight. Converts your 4AA Xenon Bulb to LED in seconds! Fits Responder Lights 200401, 200402, and 200403.
Product Code: LED-PR4

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one of these headlights - somewhere - if the cleaners didn't make off with it while I was away.
Go here to see my take on it.
Note that I've only tested it with the LED bulb it came with, and not a regular bulb or an EverLED bulb.

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks I have already been there. Those things have a wicked hotspot right out of the gate. I have been to the check out once on the brightguy site and had to bail out. I have found something over in the How Do You Like Your Everled thread. It looks like someone has tryied the EverLeds in these flashlights. I think the handle was Blikbob or something like that anyway I am going to PM him for more information. I am looking at the handheld 4AA flashlight myself but I am sure Woodbender would be interested.

Oops that was Blikbok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Sorry Blikbok.
This is what he had to say anyway. Man if it wasn't for the second paragraph I would have no questions

QUOTE:Anyway, I've now got it in my Koehler-Bright Star 4AA responder and I love it. Runs nice and bright off 4 Sanyo 1700 NiMHs.

Edit: ...Utill I blew it up. Got the LED at 5pm, blew it at 7pm. I was (or thought I was) carefully watching the polarity on the bulb module in the Responder. Nope, it's dead. It's way too easy to kill this thing and at $40 a pop, I'm not getting another.

I guess he put the batteries in backwards. I could see how this would happen pretty easily with the battery configuration as it is. I sure don't want to make the same mistake at 40 bucks a pop!
I guess this one flashlight nobody replaces the batteries in but me. I'm going for it!

Blikbok

Enlightened
Actually, the batteries were in correctly. The lamp/reflecter housing on the Responder is not "keyed" so it goes in only one way, however. I pulled it out to show off the LED, carefully inspected the terminals to reinsert it correctly, and it blinked once, then smelled very bad. It is now 0% efficient.

It makes a nice white beam in the Responder, but if you put it in, leave it in, and maybe make a mark to show the proper orientation for replacement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Other than that, the 4AA responder is nice. With fresh NiMH's it is comparable in brightness (candlepower) to my Mag 4D, but doesn't have the same size of hotspot (fewer lumens). Very tight beam, very nice construction. Only thing I wish it had was a textured reflector. And it doesn't seem like it would float. Too dense with batteries in.

Wylie

Enlightened
Thank you Bilkbok,
I have one Yellow (easier to see in low light) 4AA Responder flashlight ordered. I think I am going to have to insulate that reflector with a rubber gasket before I waste 40 bucks. I might just stretch a foam grip from a bicycle over the handle to made sure it floats. If the beam isn't up to par I might try some clear spray paint on the reflector and see how that works.
Man this is almost going to be like working with live wires again, I love it!
I had mark the spots the buses bolts where they were torched to, this should be easy to remember with the EverLed.
It really sucks to hear about your misfortune and I thank you very much for the information.
3:45 P.M. 4/14/03 and waiting 3:46 P.M. 4/14/03 and waiting.....

Blikbok

Enlightened
The Responder is a nice light and has plenty of room in the lamp assembly. I'm tempted to buy another EverLED and solder in a diode myself for voltage protection.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: GREAT Hosts including 1 Headlamp) for the Ever

One headlamp the Everled will NOT work in, is the Coleman Peak 1 Expedition Headlamp. This is due to the bulb mounting method: it uses the V shaped notch in the PR flange for holding the bulb in place. You push the bulb in and rotate it to secure it in place. The mount and switch are not metal (everything except the actual electrical contacts inside the socket).

The Everled and my Pro Series 3 use the same heatsink, and there is no notch in the flange. I checked on this when I got my Pro Series 3, because I thought it might be usable in that headlamp.

However, the Versalux PR-2 LED bulb works just fine in that headlamp, as it uses a standard PR base (with notch).

I thought the above information would be useful here.

Too bad, really, since this headlamp is 2D, has a faceted reflector, and is focusable.

Edit: the PR base is just that. The number refers to the voltage and such. The base is the same, whether it is for 1 cell or more.

Alledges

Newly Enlightened

I've tried the everled in M*g 2C/2D/3D, PT40, ArcWhite, Rayovac Industrial 2AA/2D, Responder 2AA, Responder 4AA.
No polarity killers. PT40 has useful 1 way polarity head.
Mags - ringy spot not tight as incandescent, good brightness
PT40 - tight beam but diminished brightness - heat induced?
Polarity symbols in casing and 1 way only head - SAFE.
ArcWhite - Actinic white spot with good spill.
Rayovac 2AA "Old" - Faceted reflector great smooth spot
Rayovac 2D "New Style" - Got it 'cuz 2AA so great
2D not so good. Low quality construction, mediocre spot
Responder 2AA - Not so hot. Faceted but dullest of all.
Responder 4AA - Almost Arcwhite bright with adjustable spot.
waterproof. No polarity markings.
Two strip contacts on head meet side by side batteries
Slightly longer strip is positive contact.

Anyone try the Dorcy Cool Blue aluminum 4AA or Coleman 4AA Aluminum spot/area lights?

Plinko

Newly Enlightened

I would think that the Vor Tec would be no different from the Tec 40 that Alledges tested above, since they use the same head/reflector/etc. I'd love to know as well...I'm a big PT fan and I've got 2 Tec 40's, 2 Solo's, and a Vor Tec among the various other lights...

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Ben H has put one into the Vor Tec with good results I found out after posting here. Look at the "How do you like your EverLEDs" thread (sorry, no time to link it right now).

Wylie

Enlightened

Blikbok
I now see what you mean with the 4AA Responder. It would be far to easy to put the reflector/lamp housing in the flashlight the wrong direction not being keyed like you have mentioned. I'll have to keep my Ultra G on hand for battery changes in the dark. I just got my Responder today and can't wait to get my EverLeds now that I have it.
Just as a goof I stuck a 2.4 volt 0.5amp pr lamp in it. It lasted about 20 seconds but it was real nice and bright/white for that 20 seconds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Filled the sink with water and it has now been confirmed this baby sinks like a rock!
The switch has quit within a months time but from what I have been told this doesn't happen often. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the Pelican HeadsUP Lite would be a good host to an EverLED. It claims to be submersible to 500 ft., and it has a deep, dimpled reflector, with storage for a spare bulb underneath. It is adjustable through almost 180º. 6 V, 4 AAs. ATEX, CSA and MSHA approved, lifetime guarantee.
It is a fairly tough headlamp, I think it's made of ABS plastic. It's tougher than the one ElektroLumens is using for the Elektro-Star mod, I used to have one of those and I gave it away.
It has a very tight hotspot. I hope with an EverLED it will be at least a little more of a flood. With a standard bulb, the hotspot from mine is about 12" @ 8'. For working at arms length, the spot is about 4 ½".
I forget what I paid for my HeadsUP Lite, but it came with a bicycle handlebar mount, and you can get it with rubber or elastic straps. I saw them online today for $21.95 before shipping.

A word of caution: <font color="red"> I checked mine, and it was PR tip negative.
</font>
It was easily reversible, by one of two ways.

1. You can install the cells in reverse very easily. There are springs on both the cap for the battery compartment, and the inside of the battery compartment. The light is indifferent to how the cells are installed, and it works just fine that way.

2. Swap the power leads under the reflector. It was easy as well, they are attached with phillips screws. This way you won't worry about someone putting the cells the wrong way. I swapped the leads on mine.

fc506dea.jpg

fc506de3.jpg

It's tough to read the rule, but the light's 4 ¼" wide, 4" deep, and the head it 2 ¼" round.
(Wow, that turned into a mini-review, didn't it?)

Final note: 5 out of 5 dentists recommend the Pelican HeadsUP Lite, for their patients who want an EverLED headlamp host.
fc3fc378.gif
fc3fc378.gif
fc3fc378.gif
fc3fc378.gif
fc3fc378.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Shankus, how many mA's would be delivered to Everled using Pelican headlamp as host?