Which brand of CR123 lithium battery do you use?

Which brand of CR123 lithium battery do you use?

• Duracell Ultra

Votes: 15 8.5%
  • Energizer

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Sanyo

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • SureFire

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • Streamlight

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • Titanium

Votes: 21 11.9%
  • Other

Votes: 41 23.2%

• Total voters

kelsojack

Newly Enlightened
Im curious because the obvious choice for me would be Titanium but i notice other brands like Surefire and Pannasonic are also popular.

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted Duracell ultra but also have a few batterystation brand and are very good quality.

AlexGT

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would avoid any chinese made CR123 battery.

I have had really bad luck with the Titanium brand. 1/2 dead straight from the package on the ZTS tester.

jchoo

Enlightened
Right now I'm using both Surefire and Titanium... basically, freebie cells that came with lights. I'll probably wind up going to batterystation cells when it's time to replenish.

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
At the present time, I have more Surefires than any other brand and voted as such. However, I have accumilated a good supply of Duracells also. Simply consistent from cell to cell from both brands.........no problems.

Best Regards:
Bob

santza

Newly Enlightened
Other. Maxell (japan) seems to perform allright and it's cheap locally.
+ It looks just cute, only pink battery i've ever seen :D

HiltiHome

Enlightened
I voted other,

Cause i use VARTA-Professional.

These Cells have very low internal resistance, equal to Sanyo cells made in Japan.
VARTA-Professional are most likely made by Sanyo, as VARTA does not manufacture Batteries anymore.

I tested internal resistance with a GOOIT Gy518 battery analyzer.
AW used to test with the same device.

I'm sorry to tell, but all CR123's made in USA tested with higher internal resistance.

Sanyo cells made in China where on par with the us made cells, but all other cells made in China where inferior.

Beware of WF cells sold by DX and kaidomain, the worst i've ever measured.

paulr

Flashaholic
The off-brand batteries have had all kinds of problems in the past. Supposedly they're sorted out by now, but this question doesn't interest me enough to want to mess around with them any more. I'm basically sticking with Duracells from this point onward. The way to deal with their expense is to just not use so many. My more heavily used lights are either low powered or run on rechargeables. 123's are for specialty/occasional use.

That said I'm having good luck with Streamlight cells, which did well in the shootout. I bought a bunch from Lighthound and they're a bit cheaper than Duracells. But I think my next order will be all-Duracell.

There does not seem to be any dealer that sells all of: Duracell 123's, Duracell CR2's, Energizer L91/L92's, and Eneloop AA/AAA's. I end up having to order from separate dealers. What a pain. But I think I now have enough of everything to last for a while.

swampgator

Enlightened
Currently using Ray O Vacs purchased from Lighthound. I'm happy so far with their performance. They've actually done better than the Surefires they replaced. My next battery order will be for ROVs.

MorePower

Enlightened
VARTA-Professional are most likely made by Sanyo, as VARTA does not manufacture Batteries anymore.

Varta doesn't manufacture lithium primary cells. They still make alkaline cells.

I'd be surprised if Sanyo makes current Varta CR123A cells. After Rayovac bought Varta the two companies started sharing many of the same suppliers, and Sanyo doesn't supply CR123A cells to Rayovac.

Rampy

Newly Enlightened
Glad to find this, I've got a few SureFire and Pentagon lights (all 2 cell123's) and am trying to figure out what's the best way to go for batteries.

lumenal

Enlightened
That said I'm having good luck with Streamlight cells, which did well in the shootout. I bought a bunch from Lighthound and they're a bit cheaper than Duracells.

I agree, my Streamlight cells seem to outperform my other 123As, including Duracell, Energizer, Panasonic, and Surefire cells.

Four out of these five brands of cells are made in the USA, the lone import (Panasonic) is made in Japan...

All these cells are dated 2017, but the Streamlights seem to be superior...

Whats up with that?!?