Maha 777 plus II - should have listened to you guys

zband

Newly Enlightened
about a year a go I saw the Maha 777 plus II model - I fell in love - it was exactly what I was looking for : universal, it can charge all kinds of batteries...

The reality is that it tends to overcharge and fry NiMh batteries. Li-ion it seems to be OK with.

I should have read up on it here before I made the purchase. So if anyone is thinking about this charger beware. I may try the 808M (I'll miss the battery details on the LCD), but at least I'll have a battery left after the charging process. My patience with Maha is wearing thin.

Why cant some manufacturer just build something that lets my computer be the "microprocessor" , and sell me the software to control their charing bay (which would be able to regulate the charging process as per the computer).

I would be the first in line with cash in hand ( just make a Mac version, there are more of us out here than you think!)

dulridge

Enlightened
I would be the first in line with cash in hand ( just make a Mac version, there are more of us out here than you think!)

And I'll be second - preferably a Mac version too. Linux, Windows, Solaris versions would be nice too.

Just bought an 808M and am seeing what it can do with the contents of the junk cells box.

But the thought of not having to pay for the intelligence every time is nice. For that matter I could dedicate an ancient laptop to the job.

zband

Newly Enlightened
Come to think of it - open source! being able to tweek the SW from the feedback of the CPF members would make for an awesome and very robust setup. I am sure that someone here could put together instructions on how to assemble a charging bay...

What an idea- I bet $$ that if something like that got assembled - MAHA, LaCrosse would seriously stand up and take notice.

dulridge

Enlightened
Come to think of it - open source!

I am sure that someone here could put together instructions on how to assemble a charging bay...

Given that I gave up reading, let alone writing, code in 1979 I'm not that bothered about open source despite a philosophical preference that way.

However, assembling appropriate adapters is fun (for me) and I reckon that the appropriate algorithms for charging are well enough known to be implemented without violating anyone's patents.

It seems to me that we are essentially looking at a power supply that is controlled by a computer. A generic (i.e., cheap) power supply modulated by computer seems to be what we are looking for.

Not that I'm about to be the one writing the code since it's been 30 years since I had to do that.

Latest posts