Malkoff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight recommendations for camping

Default Flashlight recommendations for camping

Hello,

First time here. I'm new to purchasing a flashlight besides those cheaps ones you find in random stores. So I did some search here but I feel I do not have enough time to really research much as I want to because I will go needing a flashlight for camping very soon. Taking the time to research and order might kill some time.

Hopefully this is where you veterans can lend a hand. Thanks.

I will be going up to Maine and I guess I need something that I can carry (Not headlamp, belt,etc), throw light long distance and cover a good angle, have low and very bright output, last few days on the same battery, I can't decide if I want chargable or regular batteries (maybe I can use both?), and not too heavy.

Suggestions please...
    Thanks again.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Flashlight recommendations for camping

You might want to add a price cap as well, since lights can range in price from a few bucks to a few hundred. There's no sense having someone describe and recommend a great $150 light, if your budget is $50. I'd suggest you start out being economical. Until you start using some lights, its hard to know what your preferences are. You might buy a light that's a twist on, and dicover you really prefer clickies, some people get very picky about the transition from spot to spill, some like heft, some like dainty. By having your first few lights be cheapies, when you graduate to expensive lights, you are less likely to buy something that never gets used. Plus, I now have lights that I can lend out, let my kids use, etc without risking the nice stuff.

I'd also suggest the AA battery format as its pretty easy to find regular cells, recharchables and lithiums, and they are universally available. Some Ma & Pa store in Maine might not have CR123's. If you end up getting a light that uses C or D batteries down the road, you can still use your AA rechargables in them.

Good luck. Let us know what you get and what you like and don't like about it.
    Greg

My price cap would be around 100.
    But if there's something that's pretty damn good, I would go up to 150.
    As stated above, I just want something (if there's such thing) that can change between brightness settings, be able to focus on one spot or spread out, last few days.

*Flashaholic*

welcome to cpf... and hold on to your wallet!

a Surefire L1 Cree fits the bill perfectly for under $100.
    mint L1 come up all the time on B/S/T for $95 range.
    Surefire has a no fuss transferable lifetime warranties.

An Arc AAA would be super nice too. $35 range

besides camping... both L1 and Arc AAA would fine EDC choices (everyday carry)

these would be my two choice for made in the USA world class lights.

then there's a slew of new high quality Chinese lights that would also fit the bill.

my take is ... if given a choice. go American. Also Surefire and Arc's traditionally have the highest resale values. so later after you've used them. sell em and recoupe most of your original costs.

then go buy some more lights...

Quote Originally Posted by bloodshot View Post
    My price cap would be around 100.
    But if there's something that's pretty damn good, I would go up to 150.
    As stated above, I just want something (if there's such thing) that can change between brightness settings, be able to focus on one spot or spread out, last few days.

They look so small in the pictures I searched and found.
    Do they throw light far distance and be able to see that distance clearly?
    Let's say 300-500ft?
    I like those powerful bright ones where it gose far and i can see clearly but at the same time, be able to lower the brightness when i'm in a enclosed area, like a tent.

Thanks..

you should consider placing a fenix L1D on your short list.... it uses AA batts, light weight, has a good low plus 3 more higher levels and tailstands. i would think the low would be great in a tent.

Flashaholic*

Every requirement has a cost associated with it, so you want to make sure its really necessary. For example if you are camping in the woods, withh trees all around, there isn't usually a 300-500 ft distance to shine a light. A light with that kind of power is going to be either big, expensive, a battery hog, or all of the above. If you do need that kind of power, you might want to get seperate lights for distance and inside the tent. Here's a few examples from Walmart's website for long distance options.

$45, 500 lumens, 2.5 hour runtime:

details at:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8187724

or:

$30, 6.5 million candlepower: ( this also comes in 10, and 18 million cp )

details at:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5127155

either of these options would leave you with enough to pick up a very nice, convenient light for inside the tent that you could also use when you aren't camping.
    Greg

Flashaholic

I don't think you should be considering a single light for several reasons. First is the question of backup, depending on your situation that might mean being in a group, or a coin cell key chain light, or one or more additional lights. Second is the "jack of all trades, master of none" problem. Trying to have one light do everything may compromise some function you'll want....

Quote Originally Posted by sappyg View Post
    you should consider placing a fenix L1D on your short list.... it uses AA batts, light weight, has a good low plus 3 more higher levels and tailstands. i would think the low would be great in a tent.
    I think this is a good choice as a "do it all" light, or even a one of several light. (There are others, with similar features, I don't have experience with, which sould fill this roll too. EX10 being the newest "fave".)

Let me offer a different selection as a example:

First a Fenix E01. It runs on 1AAA and is small enough to fit in your pocket so you have it at all times. It runs, with enough light, for a very long time and it's only about $15. It comfortably does 90% of what I would do camping.

Next a headlight is very useful, especially for in camp tasks requiring both hands. The Zebralight H50 sounds about perfect for that task, though it seems to have some supply problems and I don't have it yet. It is one AA and versatile enough to use for other tasks. (E.g. emergency hand held light, tent light, etc.) In a large camp, e.g. with a group, a lantern could cover most of these primary tasks.

Last I might add a third light. Which would depend on the trip and my expected needs. This is where the L1D would often be my choice. Some throw, for "bumps in the night", many modes, to serve as a backup, and shares batteries with the Zebralight, in case I run short of batteries. Honestly, this third light is the one that would vary most depending on what I expect of the trip.

I can see many substitutions here depending on your collection, specific camping environment, and of course your personal preferences. Plus, if weight isn't a concern I might pack "toys". :-) We have fun with markers, e.g. Glo-toobs, Nite-Ize LED Wands, etc. An HID spotlight might be fun on some trips (though I don't recall any trip where it would be necessary.) If you have specialized interests that may suggest different or additional lights.

Plus remember backup batteries. (For my typical camping trip, I'd have a fresh eneloop in each of the lights, a backup eneloop for each light, and a Energizer lithium for each light. I'd expect to maybe get into the 2nd eneloop for the E01 and not use the rest. But who cares? They're small, pretty light, and I can recharge the eneloops and the lithiums have a huge shelf life.)

SureFire A2 with the LEDs for close up tent use and the incan for distance to spot your campsite in the dark or checking for skunks.
    TWO is ONE and ONE is NONE, but THREE is more FUN.
    My beamshot gallery

Maybe something like this - two in one:

LeefGear 1x 18650 C/C Body; uses 18650 Li-Ion rechargeable Battery or 2x 123A Lithium batteries with Surefire Z44 Bezel head and Surefire Z41 twisty switch or Z48 (Z49)/Z58 (Z59) clicky switch.
    1x 18650 battery: Surefire P60L or similar Drop-in LEDs or Lumens Factory D26 EO-4 3.7V incan lamp
    2x 123A Lithium battery: Surefire P60L or similar Drop-in LEDs, Surefire P60/P61 or Lumens Factory D26 sized 6V incan lamp
    + FM34 wide angel diffuser lens

18650 Battery charger 12V/110/240, spare 18650 battery, Surefire SC1 with 6x 123A Lithium batteries, P60/P61 incan lamp or P60L LED lamp.

AA-light: Mini Maglite with TerraLUX TLE-5 Drop-in LED, Fenix or an headlamp...

Dereelight CL1H V4 w/ 3SD Q5 + SureFire FM34 Beam Diffuser. Small, pocketable, throwy, floody and offers 110 minutes on high off a single 2200mAh 18650 cell .
    强光手电是我最爱得

I like the Dereelight.
    Looks like you can do different modes and have it preset adn then attach the FM34 Beam Diffuser for wider throw.
    How bright is the Dereelight? I coudln't find that info.
    Does it depends on which "Pill" I geT? Confused...

I like the Dereelight.
    Looks like you can do different modes and have it preset adn then attach the FM34 Beam Diffuser for wider throw.
    How bright is the Dereelight? I coudln't find that info.
    Does it depends on which "Pill" I geT? Confused...
    It does depend on the pills, but all of them are very bright.
    Most high power flashlights uses a Q5 @ 1A, but the Dereeelight also has a Q5 @ 1.2A, i.e. slightly overdriven, this will be a little bit brighter than other flashlights.

The actual lumens can be found in the data sheet for the Cree XR-E led:
    Q5 is 107 lumen at @0.35A
    at 1A your must multiply with 2.2 (from curve in data sheet), i.e. 107*2.2 -> 235 lumen

Your can expect about 70-80% of that coming out the front of the flashlight.

If you are hiking, weight is a consideration. In that case I'd opt for a fenix - I like the P1Dce (cr123 battery) for backpacking. It's not a monster thrower but throws far enough for routefinding and has a low setting capable of maybe 20 hours. Beam spill is decent as well. I'd couple that with a photon freedom (red or white led with extra batteries) for tent and chores.
    If you're car camping, take as many lights as you can find! Deree or Tiablo for throw, a Zebra H50 for flood, tent and chores.

Many of the above suggested lights are good.

I'd suggest a few lights within your price range. The Fenix E01 for a longer running small light for backup/loaner/lower light usage. the 8% off coupon from Fenix Store only works for orders totaling over $20 but I'll tell it anyways, "CPF8".

The next light would depend on what batteries you would like to use. For AA, the Olight T25 is the best stock 2 AA light that I know of(Coupun at Batteryjunction is "CPF2006"). For CR123s, the Dereelight CL1H is a good choice(I'd expect 170-190 lumen out the front), the Fenix T1/TK10/TK11 is another good choice. Both have their pluses.

18650 batteries are 18mm wide, 65mm long 3.7v Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries. If you plan on buying some, most would recommend AW's batteries.

Flashaholic*

I've never used a spotlight camping, ever.

If you are going to read, cook, set up a tent after dark you will need a headlamp. Zebralight H50 is perfect for those activities. you will need something with more throw for other things though.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Flashaholic*

I have never used a spotlight camping either, but he said he was looking for something that would throw 300-500 feet, and be good for inside the tent, and stay under $100. Given those parameters, a spotlight seemed like a good choice.
    Greg

You left out one important bit of info: are you backpacking, where size and weight is critical, or are you car camping? I personally do the latter, and here, the sky is the limit. Based on your 'loose' comments, I assume you are also talking about the same thing.
    You seem to be describing two different and imcompatible torches. For long distance spotting (i.e. hundreds of feet) and ability to de-focus and give good, strong area light you are describing the traditional M*glite with optional xenon bulb (and these are battery hogs: if you plan to use it for more than a few minutes a couple of times, carry lots of spares). For long battery life, soft area lighting for your tent, and good reliability (several hours each night for several days), I always use the 'Sylvania Mini-Lantern'. I have other such small lanterns, but the Sylvania is clearly superior.

I'd recommend the newest Surefire L1 or E1L. If you want a clicky switch, the E1L wins, but I think the L1 has a brighter high. Just depends on what you want.

Many of the Fenix and Nitecore lights would work well for you for a little less money, but I personally like the surefires.
    schiesz
    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

*Flashaholic*

the only lights that will throw 300-500 ft with enough lumens to see that distance clearly and stay within your price range are HUGE.

unless your definition of camping is waay... different than most.
    what you want is lights that can be EDC. camping would then be just another use of your regular carry lights.

again... you cannot go wrong with Surefire L1 Cree. world class quality... a total bargain for what you pay.

over the last few years... all the surefire lights that I've invested in has done real well. have been able to recoup ALL the funds spent on Surefire. some have gone up in value, some have gone done slightly.

keep in mind I've avoided buying new surefire unless I want a new release real bad like Titan. almost all surefire I've purchased has been from B/S/T. some have been mint, others with loads of wear.

if I'm going to be using a light hard... preference is to find a surefire with wear .... price is cheaper and I'm going to put a few nicks anyways. best of all... if it breaks Surefire has a no fuss warranty.

They look so small in the pictures I searched and found.
    Do they throw light far distance and be able to see that distance clearly?
    Let's say 300-500ft?
    I like those powerful bright ones where it gose far and i can see clearly but at the same time, be able to lower the brightness when i'm in a enclosed area, like a tent.

Thanks..

Surefire G2L Nitrolon. Led, Nitrolon body (light) able to use rechargeable if needed. Comes in many flavors. Have a look. For $100, it will get you your G2L + rechargeables and charger also.
    Good Luck in your search.
    SF E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    CRK 21L Umnumzaan Strider SmF ZT0560BK SPY PM2 BM 556 551-1302 ​LSTEEL HEAT HEFT4

All the light recommendations are good. I personally use a Surefire M6 or M3T (way beyond the $100 price range you stated) for throw during my camping trips, and for close range work I use the older E1L but has now been replaced with the Surefire L1. I love the L1 so much I find myself using it most of the time now. The L1 has a very decent throw and it is pretty impressive for a light it's size. Fit's nicely in my palm too. As a backup, I do have a black Surefire A2 Aviator clipped to my Blackhawk backpack's shoulder strap.

I just placed an order for the Nitecore Extreme, EX10, and D10 but unfortunately the order have yet to arrive for me to test the lights, but from all the reviews I have gathered, I figured they are not the best throw lights around but does give out a nice and powerful wall of light. Have fun.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

It occurs to me we have a standardized form to make sure that we have all the information we need to make the absolute best recommendation possible. Go ahead and quote it Bloodshot, and type in your answers. I'll fill in everything I can find previously answered, but feel free to add more detail, especially to #1 - where do you camp, what kind of camping - fastpacking the Appalachian Trail and taking a trailer out to KOA are about as different as can get and still call it camping.

Edit: d'oh, forgot my recommendations. Since this will be used outside a lot, you may consider a Surefire A2 Aviator. It's digitally-regulated incandescent, with 20 hours or so of runtime on its floody low, and 40-45 minutes of fairly throwy incandescent light. Even when the battery stops running the high beam, you've probably got 5 hours or so of LED illumination left. Despite the inefficiency, incandescent lights tend to produce a spectrum that is efficiently reflected by the sort of outdoor environments you'll find yourself in while camping, and they also tend to artificially enhance contrast compared to LED lights, meaning that less lumens will go a bit further than you expect. They're going from $110-135 on the Marketplace recently, and the low-beam LEDs can be had in red, green, blue, white, and yellow-green, which looks the brightest when your eyes are dark-adapted and all you're seeing is black and white outlines. For you, I'd recommend either red or white, and I think there's a red one up now for $110.

I also second the Fenix E01; alternately if you can find a second-generation Inova X1, they use the same LEDs for a really low low, and crazy good runtime. The second generation can be distinguished by the lack of a projection-beam optical system, and a clear domed LED in the reflector. The third generation has a teeny little power LED at the bottom of a deep reflector; it's not that much brighter than the second generation, and it only gets like 2 hours runtime. Instead of carrying a separate headlight, maybe you could track down a Nite-Ize headband with an elastic strap to hold the small light while leaving both hands free, as well.

Recommend a Flashlight Checklist:
    (Don't worry about all the questions, just the ones you feel strongly about!)

Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
    ____I am in North America. More precisely I am in _______________.
    ____I am in South America. More precisely I am in _______________.
    ____I am in Europe. More precisely I am in _______________.
    ____I am in the Middle East. More precisely I am in _______________.
    ____I am in Africa. More precisely I am in _______________.
    ____I am in Asia, Japan or Micronesia. More precisely I am in _______________.
    ____I am in Australia. More precisely I am in _______________.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :-)

____I only want to pay $1-10.
    ____I can spend $15-30.
    ____I could spend $40-60.
    _X_I am willing to spend $80-$120.
    ____I have no limit!

2) Format:

_X_I want a flashlight.
    ____I want a headlamp.
    ____I want a lantern.
    ____I want a portable spotlight.

3) Length:

____I don’t care.
    ____1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
    ____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
    ____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

____I don’t care.
    ____I prefer a long narrow light.
    ____I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
    ____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
    ____I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible). Select all that apply.

_X_I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
    ____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
    ____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
    ____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
    _X_I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an “X” on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
    ____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
    ____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
    ____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A “night-stand” light.)
    ____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
    ____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
    ____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.
    ____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
    ____I want a "clickie” switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
    ____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.
    ____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
    ____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
    ____I want a rotating head switch.
    ____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
    ____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.
    ____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
    ____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
    ____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
    ____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.
    ____I want a metal-bodied light.
    ____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
    ____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
    ____Waterproof – how deep: _____________
    ____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
    ____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
    ____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
    ____“Hybrid” light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
    ____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
    ____Belt/Jacket clip
    ____Holster
    ____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
    ____Kobuton/self defense features
    ____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Last edited by Chrontius; 07-15-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Might I suggest a Wolf-Eyes light with LED module? They've got a good balance of throw and spill (in my opinion) and don't break the bank.
    Due to my current schedule being pretty darn hectic, I will not be accepting new modding projects until things settle down.

If you are car camping, a 3D or 4D l.e.d. Maglite will work. It will stay bright for a long time, runs cheap, is a good thrower, and is available in stores. If you do more hiking or backpacking, try a Fenix L2D CE Q5. It will last about 3 and a half days on low on lithium batteries (still bright enough for hiking), will run on alkalines, lithiums, or rechargeable NiMH. You can get the diffuser cap for it to use as an area light for in a tent. It is 180 lumens on turbo. It doesn't throw as far as the similar Olight models, but has a very usable beam for hiking. It costs about $60 online. The Olight T25 will have more throw, and has a better User Interface (brightness levels changed by turning the head, turning the light on and off, S.O.S. and strobe changed by pushing the tailcap), but costs $10 more (another $10 for the tactical version). The Fenix L2D also has the option of changing to a 1AA or 1CR123A light with the L1D body tube or the P2D body tube and tailcap. If you get all three bodies and two tailcaps, you can customize your light for each outing. Fenix lights are also know for having the most efficient circuits.

Nice list, Chrontius. But the price list requires greater range. 10-20, 20-50, 50-100, 100-200, 200-400, 500-1000 and 1000+ is how I see it.
    强光手电是我最爱得

Surefire E1L (w/new KX1 dual output head). Great camping light.

Enlightened

An ARC AAA would be great. I use that as my primary light to carry in my packs on my touring bicycle.

Flashaholic

Buttrock Re: Flashlight recommendations for camping

I used to bring a lot of lights with me to camp. But I always just end up using my normal EDC lights (Either my HDS B60, Novatac 120P, or P2D CE Q5). I find those are the only lights that I need. I still bring a few of my other lights, just in case.

Flashaholic

SINGLE LIGHTS

+1 for the SF Cree L1. Put a lanyard on it, push on the F04 diffuser, ($10 extra,) and hang it from the inside peak of your tent on low mode. Pull off the diffuser for GREAT throw- much more than enough for most tasks, as long as you are in an area that is very dark. (I find I only need more light than this can provide if I am in brighter area, with my pupils constricted by glare from other "bare" light sources.)

Also, any of the multimode Fenix lights with the cool white diffuser tip look great. My Fenix lights don't throw as well as the L1, but some are so much brighter on turbo mode that I think it makes up for the difference. Just get one with a LOW low if you want to use it as a tent light.

TWO LIGHTS

(My Favorite Option- two AT LEAST!!)

Nice Arc Keychain Light or Fenix Equivelant + Bright Fenix Thrower. (I use a P3D and love it!) I'm Sure their Tactical Lights are just as good or better! The arc can hang from the top inside of the tent and acts as a "lantern." Both together may be less than the Cree L1.

GOOD LUCK and ENJOY THE WOODS!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast