I cant decide!

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
Hello. This is my first time posting on the candle power forums :). Ive been looking around the forum and reading reviews. I am addicted to flashlights, however the closest thing i have owned to a heavy duty flashlight would probably be an AA maglite or my eveready mod (Kipkays mod). Recently I have been looking at some cheap flashlights on DX as thats one of my favorite online stores. My budget is $15 and I would prefer something that runs on AA or AAA batteries as CR123A's are quite expensive in Canada. I have heard good things about the Romisen RC-G2 but am also looking into RC-H3 and Saik RC-A3. I was also looking into the RC-F4 but I dont have the cash to shell out for CR123As. Could one of you kindly point me in the right direction as to which flashlight I should buy?

SAIK RC-A3

Romisen RC-H3

Romisen-G2

Thanks in advance

--Hermes1908

P.S

Try not to get too technical as this is my first cree flashlight

Last edited by a moderator:

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
Hello. This is my first time posting on the candle power forums :). Ive been looking around the forum and reading reviews. I am addicted to flashlights, however the closest thing i have owned to a heavy duty flashlight would probably be an AA maglite or my eveready mod (Kipkays mod). Recently I have been looking at some cheap flashlights on DX as thats one of my favorite online stores. My budget is $15 and I would prefer something that runs on AA or AAA batteries as CR123A's are quite expensive in Canada. I have heard good things about the Romisen RC-G2 but am also looking into RC-H3 and Saik RC-A3. I was also looking into the RC-F4 but I dont have the cash to shell out for CR123As. Could one of you kindly point me in the right direction as to which flashlight I should buy?

What is this thing you call a "Flashlight Budget?" Thank God there are disciplined people in the world to make up for me! I don't own any of these lights, but I am VERY HAPPY to be the first to say, :welcome:!!!!!!!

Now, i'll step aside and let the guys who know more than me tell you about these lights. Enjoy!!

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
Hey its my first "real" light. If im impressed I might consider digging deeper into my nonexistent wallet. :)

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
To welcome you to CPF I will sell you a Jetbeam C-LE 1st version for the cost of postage. How does that sound? Mods: I know this isn't a sales thread but trying to do a good deed. Let me know sir and :welcome:

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great gesture, MARNAV1. I was thinking something along the same lines when I noticed a budget of $15.00 :) . Hermes1908: How about I ship you two new SureFire CR123A cells if you change your mind about going with a CR123A-based light...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I would love to give something, but I don't have much to give.

Out of the lights you linked to, I'd go for the RC-H3, but the Jetbeam is probably a lot better.

I hope you like it!

:welcome:

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
You have a lot to give. Your knowledge and advice to n00bs and Flashaholics across CPF has been indispensable :thumbsup: .

+1 for Gunner12. He helped me with something on my first post, too! Not to mention the positive attitude that carries through in his posts- this is always appreciated.:thumbsup:

+1 for free surefire batteries. PM me your info, and I'll send 2 as well.

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
I would like to thank all of you for your outstanding generosity. I am beginning to reconsider buying the RC-F4 as I have found rechargeable CR123As are quite cheap on dealextreme. Also does anyone know the number of lumens on the RC-F4, RC-B3, RC-G2 and Ultrafire C3? If the C3 is alot better I might consider spending a little more.

Thanks

Hermes

P.S I noticed that the RC-B3 has a P4 emitter as opposed to the RC-H3's P3 emitter. Sry for the noobish question but should I assume its better?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
These are only guesses to the output from what I've seen:
RC-G2, 30 lumen, but good throw due to the reflector
RC-B3, 35-40 lumen
RC-F4, 110-130 lumen
Ultrafire C3, 40-50 lumen.

As for P3 and P4, they are Flux bins(output/efficiency) for the Cree XR-E LEDs. The P4 is a higher bin the the P3(but a P3 driven at a higher power will still be brighter then the P4). In order of efficiency from lowest to highest, avaliable bins only, P2, P3, P4, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, R2. There are lower bins but those aren't an improvement over the last gen LEDs.

You have a lot to give. Your knowledge and advice to n00bs and Flashaholics across CPF has been indispensable :thumbsup: .

Thanks guys, I really appreciate that.

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
Wow... I didnt know the RC-F4 was so powerful. What kind of emitter does it use? I couldnt find it in the specs on DX. Also what would you recommend for an AA powered flashlight the RC-G2 or the Ultrafire C3? One more question. How does the RC-F4 compare to the surefire G2?

P.S just found this [link removed by moderator] TrustFire TR-801 Cree it has a Q5 emitter and is only $18! It boasts an output of 230 lumens. Does it look like a solid flashlight?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The RC-F4 uses a Cree XR-E P4, driven at a higher power then the other lights. This is mostly due to the battery choice.

The Surefire G2 is rated at 65 lumen, probably around 70 lumen.

The TR-801 has to use a 3.7v 18650 Li-ion rechargeable battery to run. It should only be powered by batteries around that voltage.

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
The TR-801 has to use a 3.7v 18650

I dont mind I can get cheap rechargeable ones at DX. If the light is that good. Given the amount of power ill get from CR123 powered lights im leaning toward getting rechargeable batteries. However I would also like to have a spare flashlight lying around that can handle AAs. So its boiled down to the following. I will get one from each category please vote on which you think is the better one in each section

Double A Flashlights: Ultrafire C3, RC-G2

CR123 lights: RC-F4, RC-C3

Any and all input is appreciated thank you all for your help (A special thank you to Gunner12 who has been especially helpful
.)

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go for the Ultrafire C3 get the Ultrafire C3 Cree Q5 5-Mode LED Flashlight with Extension
The light is much brighter with 2AA. You can use it in 1AA for pocket carry or 2AA for general use.
It is slightly brighter than my Fenix L0D CE P4 on 1AA so about 50 lumens on high. Probably double that on 2AA.

Note there over half a dozen variants of this thing.
LEDs range from P4 to Q5,
With or without extension tube,
With (1AA versions) or without holster,
Aluminium or Stainless Steel.

You may want to look at MTE 1xAA SSC-P4 42180-U Flashlight instead of the SAIK. I have good experiences with 4 of them and many other CPFers have them. Often referred to as sku 1995. The SAIK has good reports but only a couple (not enough for me to decide how reliable they are).
BTW don't get the MTE with the multi modes. The UI stinks.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
To welcome you to CPF I will sell you a Jetbeam C-LE 1st version for the cost of postage. How does that sound? Mods: I know this isn't a sales thread but trying to do a good deed. Let me know sir and :welcome:

i think he missed this post.. :whistle::welcome:

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
i think he missed this post.. :whistle::welcome:

No I didnt. I pmed marnav1 regarding his offer, but I still want to buy one of the DX lights i listed. Does anyone know exactly how good the throw on the RC-G2 is? Ive heard some ridiculous claims. Also which light is brighter, The RC-N3 the RC-F4 or the RC-C3?