Power outage right now....

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
not sure why, I think a fallen tree on the power line.

thank God for the generator. I got my 'net and the fridge on it.

The usual tools are out, PT headlamp, Malkoff 3D Mag, and of course Fenix 2AA.

Some lessons:

Start your generator once in a while to ensure it works - make sure the gas is fresh, and keep some spare gas. Mine was OK but it could have been not, easily.

Note: Malkoff run time is incredible. In fact, I cannot get the first set of cells to drain.

More lessons: It's incredible how used to the grid I am. I know the power is out, then I say to myself 5 mins later, I will cook something. Then oh, the stove is out.

So I am deprived of cooking on the stove, my annoyance of the minute. That and the AC is out.

More lessons: Make sure your cell phones are charged. My genius spouse, of course had her cell on nearly zero right before it hit. Thankfully I got mine fully charged right before - and I have about 5 spare cells for my phone. If that fails, I can always charge in the car. Oh wait -- I can charge on the generator.

Anyway the lights are kind of useful to get to the things you really want, like set up the generator. The big Mag I have been using as a security light, shining on the perimeter of the property. The headlamp I've been using in the shower, hanging it off the door.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you for yer' report, etc.

Hope you get some good opportunities to SHINE.

:p

Please keep us updated.

Are your neighbors equally well-prepared ?

:candle:
_

LumenMan

Enlightened
It sounds like you'll make it through just fine :) I can't stress the importance of having a good generator at one's disposal for emergencies like the one you're experiencing.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
Great Post- Only Flashlight Lovers and Survivalists love blackouts! (Am I forgetting anyone?) Thank You also for the reminders. Good information.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love it,, are you kidding. I hate this weather. I have to take a shower 4 times today. Even at 10pm at night. I've become too dependent on AC.

I am currently debating if I should cut off the generator for the night. Probably not, as the fridge depends on it. It will probably run out of gas before morning.

GPB

Enlightened
Don't forget that in a pinch you can charge your cell phone from your computer UPS. They are just a battery with an inverter so you can run your computer for a while. They will certainly be able to charge your cell phone, of even power your regular cordless home phone.

Good Luck !

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i suggest saving power by not coming on cpf..:p instead go outside and get some beamshots to pass the time...:D

Crenshaw

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
ahhh power outage the very same reason that led me here to CPF.

Great Post- Only Flashlight Lovers and Survivalists love blackouts! (Am I forgetting anyone?) Thank You also for the reminders. Good information.

Yes burglars and criminals. They love the dark.

Last edited:

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
Love it,, are you kidding. I hate this weather. I have to take a shower 4 times today. Even at 10pm at night. I've become too dependent on AC.

I am currently debating if I should cut off the generator for the night. Probably not, as the fridge depends on it. It will probably run out of gas before morning.

Point well taken! Perhaps my fantasy of unlimited, "necessary" flashlight use, as experienced in front of my working air conditioner, is better than the reality you are experiening. Either way, its good that you are so well prepared- the blackout seems to have slowed you down minimally. Also, if tougher conditions arise in the future, I have a feeling you will be prepared for those, as well. And, IMHO, we are almost ALL too dependent on the grid!

RGB_LED

Enlightened
etc, I envy and pity you at the same time. Envy, since you have a chance to put your lights through the test to see what works in any given situation and pity since I, too, rely heavily on the grid.

Glad to hear though that you're managing fairly well and it's great to hear tips about what people do during power outages. Happy to also hear that the Malkoff is outperforming! Keep us up-to-date as to how you're doing...

Btw, off-topic of lights but on-topic re: power outages, following the 2003 outage in the US North-East and Ontario, CA, I decided to be a bit more prepared for any future power outages by having the following:

- More lights :D
- A new, portable camping stove (+ spare fuel), to make dinner

- A portable SLA battery unit with built-in inverter to:
  • Run a lamp at night
  • Run my cordless phone
  • Charge my cell phone
  • Charge my flashlight batteries (tested with all my chargers including my bike light charger)
  • It will also charge iPods and run a Sirius radio + portable stereo
I have yet to try it to charge a laptop (I don't own one) but I'm sure it would work. I've even taken it up to friend's cottages where there was only diesel generated power which we had to be careful with since we had limited fuel over three days. The 'small' battery (600W, 28Ah) would not be able to run a fridge or stove but, for small electronics, it definitely helps and I added a solar panel to recharge it during the day (as long as it's sunny of course).

Just my $0.02 FWIW...

Hans

Enlightened
More lessons: Make sure your cell phones are charged. My genius spouse, of course had her cell on nearly zero right before it hit. Thankfully I got mine fully charged right before - and I have about 5 spare cells for my phone. If that fails, I can always charge in the car.

Good point. My main cellphone (I use more than one) is still an old Nokia 6310i, and I have three batteries for it just in case. Came in handy a couple of times after a power failure on trips abroad.

Hans

paulr

Flashaholic
I despise the proprietary li ion batteries and charging systems used by almost all cellphones. I've been looking all over for a cellphone that runs on normal AA cells, and just today was thinking of making a custom AA pack for my phone. Yeah I know about those stupid Energizer things that plug into the phone with wires, but that's too kludgy. I'm trying to make a permanently mounted pack that keeps the cells completely inside the phone.

I personally haven't so far felt the desire for a generator during a power outage. Just a few flashlights and a battery powered radio should be enough. Other than that, treat the outage like a little vacation. I guess it helps if the stove is gas powered ;)

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
A car cell phone charger should take care of the cell phone problem and an old fashioned corded phone is very handy for most power failures. I personally never look forward to a power failure, for myself or those who depend upon power for life sustaining things, especially the elderly who I find seldom have any kind of backup power. The 4 day outage of a few years (2003?) ago in mid summer was no fun for many.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fridge should be fine for the night without power unless your house is 90F inside. You neighbors probably don't want to hear your generator while they're trying to sleep, and you could be tempting someone else to come and steal it while you're sleeping (unless you have one of those uber-quiet Honda's).

paulr

Flashaholic
For future such events it might worth keeping a few kg of ice blocks in the freezer (ziploc bags full of water would do the job). In an extended outage you'd load them and your perishables into a well-insulated picnic cooler. They should keep the cooler cold for a few days. Seems a lot cheaper than a generator, especially if you have a cooler around already.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
etc, I envy and pity you at the same time. Envy, since you have a chance to put your lights through the test to see what works in any given situation and pity since I, too, rely heavily on the grid.

Glad to hear though that you're managing fairly well and it's great to hear tips about what people do during power outages. Happy to also hear that the Malkoff is outperforming! Keep us up-to-date as to how you're doing...

Btw, off-topic of lights but on-topic re: power outages, following the 2003 outage in the US North-East and Ontario, CA, I decided to be a bit more prepared for any future power outages by having the following:

- More lights :D
- A new, portable camping stove (+ spare fuel), to make dinner

- A portable SLA battery unit with built-in inverter to:
  • Run a lamp at night
  • Run my cordless phone
  • Charge my cell phone
  • Charge my flashlight batteries (tested with all my chargers including my bike light charger)
  • It will also charge iPods and run a Sirius radio + portable stereo
I have yet to try it to charge a laptop (I don't own one) but I'm sure it would work. I've even taken it up to friend's cottages where there was only diesel generated power which we had to be careful with since we had limited fuel over three days. The 'small' battery (600W, 28Ah) would not be able to run a fridge or stove but, for small electronics, it definitely helps and I added a solar panel to recharge it during the day (as long as it's sunny of course).

Just my $0.02 FWIW...

Yes I'm to poor to own a generator:sigh:, but I have to considerer my self luck for I do have an extremely large stash of at least 14 SLA 18 AH batteries "don't ask were those came from :naughty::whistle:" anyways if it's hot I just run a fan "or two" with them, last week my our house had a power outage "during the day:thumbsdow" because a car hit a poll down the street. I use one battery to power the phones, and the monument I plugged it in, it rang so I gauss that idea worked out fine. It's better to be overly prepared, than not prepared at all:twothumbs:cool:.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a couple of outages here recently I invested in a 44Ah 12V lead acid marine battery, 600W inverter, and installed low voltage supplemental LED lighting in my room with a control box and cigarette sockets.

The battery stays topped up via a small charger (40 hours for a charge from flat).

During an outage I can run with the LED lighting and run small devices from the cigarette sockets to save power, or fire up the inverter to run other devices I don't have a car lighter plug for (or even my computer).

Unfortunately, since I've set this up we have had no blackouts...