New Maha 808 on its way - nimh 's need conditioned?

zband

Newly Enlightened
I have a Maha 808 on its way and I was wondering when (if) I need to recondition the sanyo eneloops. 2 of them are being used in a clock and the other two have been recharged using a Maha 777 plus II (which I think cooked them).

Considering this history should I perform a condition cycle or just charge them?

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
I never use rechargables in clocks due to the 1.2v vs 1.5 volts of an alkaline cell. I figure it might run slower (anaolog clock that is) maybe digital clocks are different... May as well condition them.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never use rechargables in clocks due to the 1.2v vs 1.5 volts of an alkaline cell. I figure it might run slower (anaolog clock that is) maybe digital clocks are different... May as well condition them.
:D
There really are not any analog clocks these days. All of them are quartz digital, even the ones with hands. Not only that, but alkaline cells don't actually have 1.5 V -- they have any voltage from 0.9 V to 1.6 V, so it makes no difference at all if you use a rechargeable in a clock from a voltage or time keeping point of view. The clock will work fine.

On the other hand, an alkaline battery will often run a clock for a year or two, so there is not much benefit from putting a rechargeable in it.

dulridge

Enlightened
A clock is likely to have grossly overdischarged them so they may need more than one conditioning cycle.

Me, I got one a few days ago and basically all my NiCd/MH cells are being conditioned. This seems to work out about a day per set of 8.

Some of my NiCd D cells were bought in 1984 so certainly don't owe anyone anything but I'll be interested to see how they change and if they get any healthier. Which I doubt with nearly 25 year old cells with many hundreds (Probably close to 1000 cycles for some) of cycles on them. Probably I ought to measure their internal resistance before and after conditioning.

mdocod

Flashaholic
extraordinarily slow drain rates like clocks is where alkaline chemistry can shine and really stretch it's legs. In fact, an alkaline at these really slow drain rates is not far behind the capacity of a lithium primary, and is actually better than the capacity of a NIMH. At the drain rate of a clock, even a LSD NIMH will be experiencing measurable self-discharge in the time it spends in the clock, further reducing useful capacity. It's the only device that I don't recommend LSD NIMH cells for.

FrontRanger

Newly Enlightened
I never use rechargables in clocks due to the 1.2v vs 1.5 volts of an alkaline cell. I figure it might run slower (anaolog clock that is) maybe digital clocks are different

Nowadays, any non-expensive timepiece uses a crystal to form a resonant oscillator for its timebase. Dependence on the power supply voltage should be very weak, useful units being ppm/V.

shadowjk

Enlightened
And even in a low drain clock, alkaline will fall below 1.2 volt for most of the discharge...