Spammers are getting smarter...

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
First it started out with outright copy paste spamming posts...

"IPOD TOUCH AND PHONE FOR SALE"

Then it became posting in old threads...
"TOPIC: XXXXXX 4/5/06"
"hi, we are resellers of jordan shoes, get your nike/adidias/rebox jordan shoes with us we have alot of range and you are sure to find what you are lookign for"

now...

Hello,everyone.I like to buy this point pen
LP001W.jpg
from XXXXXXX.com, the price is good and shipping is free.But I am not sure about the quality of products from this site.So, is there anyone bought something from them?Could you please give me some advice?Especially the quality of them.Thanks.

:shrug:
[FONT=体, 宋]ok on Ebay they have all sorts of different unlock cell phones that pretty cheap .[/FONT]
[FONT=体, 宋]has any one ever won a bid on these phones? Are they the "REAL Thing!" or just some rip off with cheap drivers and some fancy screen graphics? [/FONT]

[FONT=体, 宋]XXXXXX.com offer these kind of phones too. But my question is that is XXXXXX selling the phones of good quality?[/FONT]

[FONT=体, 宋]any experiences with them?

Anyone else worried? the suggestion in the suggestions forum is starting to looks pretty good..

Crenshaw
[/FONT]

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least, with this kind of spam, I could satisfy my long-time urge to get back at the spammers by posting: "Oh, that product is a piece of cr@( don't waste your money." :devil:

DM51

Flashaholic
It may be tempting, but please don't do that. Just report it.

If you reply, this just gives the spam more exposure. It also means a moderator has to lose more time deleting your reply as well as the spam post.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Yeah those Nigerians and Romanians are getting smarter and sparter by the SPAM.

Just report them. Mods here are pretty fast.
I wish mods would ban the member and IP-ban the address though, to keep them out for good. Or maybe give the IP a 2-strikes and youre out kind of thing.

my .02

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The spammers will continue to get smarter with the times. Its a pity they can be such a irrating pest and difficult to get rid of at times.

This forum has it easy compared to a cycling forum I know which was choking on spam. Lets hope that the spammers are as smart as some of the forum members here and realise that are wasting their time.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't know if this was suggested anywhere, but one approach might be that a brand spankin' newbie w/something less than 5 or 10 Posts, does NOT get their Posts automagically posted.

they first go into a holding area of sorts to be reviewed by Admin/Mod types, before actually becoming visible in a Thread.

of course, i have no idea of a) the volume of such brand spankin' newbie Posts, b) the additional workload this would place on the Admins/Mods, and c) it the Board s/w currently even has such a capability to "quarantine", so to speak, Posts fr/individuals on a "list" [Note: this "list" might be for several types of individuals, e.g., brand spankin' newbies, together w/probationary troublemakers just off of a "time-out", or initially for minor nature second time offenders b/f being given a time-out; 1st time minor offenders might just get a warning.]

just a thought. since i'm not only the president of, but also the chief customer of "Bad Ideas R Us", this too is probably a lame suggestion???

kramer5150

Flashaholic
don't know if this was suggested anywhere, but one approach might be that a brand spankin' newbie w/something less than 5 or 10 Posts, does NOT get their Posts automagically posted.

they first go into a holding area of sorts to be reviewed by Admin/Mod types, before actually becoming visible in a Thread.

of course, i have no idea of a) the volume of such brand spankin' newbie Posts, b) the additional workload this would place on the Admins/Mods, and c) it the Board s/w currently even has such a capability to "quarantine", so to speak, Posts fr/individuals on a "list" [Note: this "list" might be for several types of individuals, e.g., brand spankin' newbies, together w/probationary troublemakers just off of a "time-out", or initially for minor nature second time offenders b/f being given a time-out; 1st time minor offenders might just get a warning.]

just a thought. since i'm not only the president of, but also the chief customer of "Bad Ideas R Us", this too is probably a lame suggestion???

I think the SPAM content on CPF would have to be pretty far out of control to resort to such measures. I think it might offend and deter newer members and prevent them from coming back. So much of the www is based on a freedom of "speach" kind of mentality, and segregating new members like that might offend them.

I think outright IP address bans would go a long way though. Doesn't most spam generate from foreign www "cafes" anyways? Its not like theres some guy at home in his bedroom doing this from his place of residence.

I'm now up to .04 :p