P7 Maglite dive light

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its done.
LEDcan.jpg

4x 7000mah NiMh batteies
2.8a 7135 driver
Reed switch driven MOSFET
I can charge the pack thru the tail cap and have built a charger that runs off 12volt.
Head tested to 60 meters in a pot and off to Lake Taupo for more testing and some comparison against 50w Halogen and 21watt HID Salvo

neilp1

Newly Enlightened
Nice! Looking forward to the 50W H and the HID comparisons.

Last edited:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is how to make a simple NiCD charger.

But I just used a 12v supply and resistors to step down the current/ voltage.
a 16 ohm restistor ( 2x 8 ohm 5watt) gives me .5 amp
a 8 ohm resistor (2x 8 ohm series against 2 parallel) gives 1 amp charge.

I will be using a smart charger but it has not arrived yet and I want something I can use on the boat/ car.

I have already posted out of water beam shots of P7 Vs 35w (driven at 50w) halogen in another thread. Halogen is a little brighter but P7 is better in every other way.

Edit maybe I didnt. Try here

Last edited:

neilp1

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, i saw the other thread with the out of water beam shots, but i was wondering how it compares in water. With the reds/oranges etc of the halogen being "eaten up" under water, im curious how the higher colour temp of the LEDs compares, and how much using the LED improves the penetration compared to a halogen. Im hoping that, although the 35W halogen has more light, the LED penetrates better since it isnt losing as much energy through water absorption.

Congratulations on a very nice build!

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Im expecting/hoping the LED will win in water.
Im hoping it will be comparable to the Salvo but I dont think it will be.
Bring on the tripple P7!!

Firecop

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations! I would love to know how you depth-proofed the mag end. I've been thinking about trying my hand at a dive light, but I don't have the machining experience.

Did you build or buy the battery cannister? How are they sealed? What kind of wire and grips did you use?

Well done!

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers. I have tested this mag in a pot to 60 meters with out a leak and my previose one in the ocean to below 50 meters several times. The weakest links would be the glass lens I am now using and maybe the glands. End of the day it will go deeper than I will. The can is just PVC storm water pipe. Its easy to work with and the only tools I used in making it was a hacksaw, drill and soldering iron.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just completed a dive to 37meters with it and I am impresses. Not as bright or as focused as a Salvo 21watt but then its only a 10watt LED. It is better than my 50 watt halogen though. Will post beam shots later.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
HIDvsLED1.jpg

Left 21w HID right P7 mag
HIDvsLED2.jpg

Left 50watt (35wtt driven at 14.4v) Halogen 8deg Philips masterline ES MR16 Centre 21w Salvo Right P7

Conclusion
P7 does not give out as much light as the other 2 but its tight focus and better colour makes it a far better dive light than the halo.

Its simply not in the same league as the 21w HID but then its not in the same price bracket either. Maybe 3 P7's will give out more light but it will not get the same focus. (I will probably try it anyway).

donghui

Newly Enlightened
That is beautiful, it is exactly what I'm going to build for my dive light. Your post on the SODS is great!

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys.
I have now ditched the halogen and am converting it to something even better than the P7. Stay tuned.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. 4 Q5's each with an aspheric lens.
All throw no spill. May use one reflector for some spill if its needed.

Latest posts