Poll: Attributes for a flashlight for college student

Attributes (Choose top 3 choices)

• Total voters

allburger

Enlightened
This is mainly for parents out there who recently or will soon send a son or daughter off to college. Anyone is welcome to respond.

What attributes do you look for in a flashlight for your son or daughter that you are sending away to college.

Think about what a college student in the dorms will use a light for.
-Power outages
-walking to vehicles (since they have to park the other side of campus most of the time)
-night walks
-General around the house use

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
This is mainly for parents out there who recently or will soon send a son or daughter off to college. Anyone is welcome to respond.

What attributes do you look for in a flashlight for your son or daughter that you are sending away to college.

Think about what a college student in the dorms will use a light for.
-Power outages
-walking to vehicles (since they have to park the other side of campus most of the time)
-night walks
-General around the house use

Your forgot to mention rechargeable batteries and a charger (money can be used for other stuff than batteries :drunk:).

PharmerMike

Newly Enlightened
I went for price, runtime, and size.

Price- Always an issue with college and its related costs.

Runtime- See above. Don't want to be spending a lot on batteries. Also, want to have a light that will work for an extended period in the dorm if there is a power failure.

Size- Want something small enough that will not add significantly to weight of a backpack when carried around campus.

USM0083

Enlightened
I set up a coworkers son with a Romisen RC-F4, two sets of Trustfire RCR-123s and a Trustfire charger, all for about $36.00. He has night classes and walks across the campus, so I wanted something with decent output and throw.

1dash1

Enlightened
I would've voted for battery-type as number one, if that choice had been offered. I'd recommend AA's or AAA's (preferably both 1.2V and 1.5V) for college students.

As far as li-ions are concerned, I'm a concerned that (1) college students won't take the safety hazards seriously enough and (2) they won't like the burden that comes with managing the resource properly. While nothing is "plug and forget", li-ions carry a great deal more risk than NiMH's or alkalines.

Heck, I've got a brother who is an electrical engineer and I'm giving him a D10 for his birthday because I dont' think he's up to the challenge of dealing with RCR's for an EX10. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
:broke:I'll be going to collage soon "I hope" So I just picked things I want, Price "I'm not made of money", Reliability "nothings more embarrassing than having your favorite light break with all your friends around", and lastly run time "my main EDC light has to be capable of running for long lengths of time, if I want power I will use a secondary EDC, not the other way around.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reliability and runtime are important.
Not listed is a multimode capability which I feel is important for this kind of light.
The light has to run off easy to find batteries (aa aaa) as mentioned above. and a simple operation is desireable at least for unenlightened students.
Price is only really an issue if the student has to pay for it themselves! lol.

allburger

Enlightened
I did not include batteries in the poll because i figured that more than likely a non flashlight person will not consider a light with 123s or 18650s or anything like that. Basically the choices for the majority of the population is AA, AAA, C, D

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wouldnt really consider putting a price on a torch for someone loved.

I chose runtime output and reliability

tricker

Enlightened
i'm in college and size does matter:thumbsup:..........if its too big, bigger than a single cell 123...it won't be carried, and a small light in the pocket is worth a million where you can't get to them

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
When my eldest daughter went off to school (pre-flashaholic for me) I gave her a Mag 2c, she still has it. My next will be getting the same (in purple!), but with a terralux drop-in. She will also have a single AA light (yet to be determined) to fit in her purse. The eldest kept the Mag in her book bag.

1) Reliability
2) Runtime
3) Battery type

jake25

Enlightened
Being a college student myself and going through the blackouts caused by wildfires the most important thing to me was

Ability to be super bright on lithiums while still working on primaries, tailstanding and runtime

I found my Dexlight X.1 to be the best of these, while its output is bit low on primaries, eneloops compared to say a Fenix L1D it was still pretty good

I used my Surefire C2 sparingly as i only had 1 set of RCR123's.

smopoim86

Enlightened
:broke:I'll be going to collage soon "I hope" So I just picked things I want, Price "I'm not made of money", Reliability "nothings more embarrassing than having your favorite light break with all your friends around", and lastly run time "my main EDC light has to be capable of running for long lengths of time, if I want power I will use a secondary EDC, not the other way around.

I've just finished my first year and have to agree with your choices. I'm living at home but the requirements are still the same.
My way of dealing with runtime seems to be carry more than 2 lights though. Gotta keep the cpf spirit!!

carrot

Flashaholic
Blackouts happen about once a year on my campus. As with anything else, I think runtime and reliability should be prime concerns. It should use AA batteries as these are exceptionally common and good for anyone who doesn't isn't a flashaholic. Low maintenance is a must, since not as many people are technologically inclined and most will see a flashlight as a tool for emergencies rather than a useful every day carry. Twisties should be preferable as they are far less prone to accidental activation.

I have been recommending the simpler Fenix's such as the L2T (and late L2S) as well as the E01 and people have been pretty pleased.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is where the lowly minimag led shines. Inexpensive,reliable,uses readily avalible aa batteries,has candlemode. Small enough for bookbag and no biggie if it gets lost.

tricker

Enlightened
I've just finished my first year and have to agree with your choices. I'm living at home but the requirements are still the same.
My way of dealing with runtime seems to be carry more than 2 lights though. Gotta keep the cpf spirit!!

where are you going to school at? on utk's campus blackout are pretty regular

zven

Enlightened
As a recent college grad, my votes were for runtime, reliability, and size (and that's how I'd rank them in descending order).

Runtime - As stated above, a college student's light ought to last for a long time, whether for extended blackouts, long nighttime outings, whatever. A decent output is recommended, of course, but the light should ideally use an efficient emitter that's geared towards lasting many hours.

Reliability - In my experience, most use of flashlights by college students occurs when the light is absolutely needed, and can't easily be gone without. As such, it'd likely be a real pain to have the light fail. Plus, if the light is reliable, then the college student very likely won't have to replace the light, unless they're careless enough to lose it. So reliability is an economical advantage as well.

Size - While there is something to be said for the ease of finding a 3D Mag in an extremely messy dorm room, I'd say it's far more valuable to have a light that can be carried in a backpack, purse, or even pocket at all times. I didn't know many people in college who would carry a flashlight in their pocket everyday (aside from maybe a coin cell keychain light), but I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect the wise college student to stash a light in a backpack. As such, I'd recommend one- to two-cell lights. And on that note, CR123's will be more compact, but I'd recommend AA instead, since college students could find those much more easily. (In the end, something P1D size would be great, though even up to SF G2 size should be fine.)

Other considerations:

Price - I didn't vote for this one, as it really depends on who's buying the flashlight. If it's the student buying it for him- or herself, then yes, price would be a very important attribute. However, if it's a gift, then it's not an attribute that the student would have to worry about, and I'd recommend the giver just pick something in a price range that they're comfortable with.

Protection capability - For a general purpose flashlight I would recommend against such things as strike bezels, since they can seem unnecessarily like weapons (among other things). However, if the buyer/giver/whatever of the flashlight feels that the student will be in a potentially dangerous environment (e.g., a campus in a bad part of town), then the strike bezel may be a good feature. Really depends, though, and if in doubt, don't get the crennelations.

Rechargeables - Although most college students have the technical knowledge to be able to do such things as buckle seatbelts and recharge batteries, I wouldn't expect them to go to the effort. Some might, but in my experience (personal, as well as others I've known), things like recharging batteries get put off until you need them. And in the case of a flashlight being used during a power outage, it's already too late. Plus, self-discharge has often plagued my use of rechargeables, as they go unused and un-recharged for long enough to lose their charge, while primary cells would still have been fine. Now, I don't want to discourage the use of rechargeables, I just want to recommend against making a college student rely on them (i.e., if you give the student a light with NiMH cells to use most of the time, give them some regular cells as well, just in case).

Multi-modes - I would say this is a useful, though not obligatory, feature in a college student flashlight. If you have the opportunity, multiple modes/levels of light will be very handy, allowing the user to select how much light is necessary at the time (perhaps even with the benefit of improving runtime a bit). However, I still think a light with a single, mid-range level of brightness should work fine (chances are, the student won't miss the higher or lower levels with such a compromise light).

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Price, output, size. Not my favorite conditions, but I had to pick them as prerequisites for a college flashoholic.

Price: can I afford it? This is the reason I don't have a Lummi and a Ra Twisty.

Size: I can't EDC a ROP, even though I can afford it.

Output: The first user-centric qualification. I use my lights to illuminate shadows in otherwise well-lit environments, and you need a lot of oomph to sling enough photons around to do that.

Stuff I didn't vote for, but consider: runtime, multimode/stage, and protection capability. Occasionally something sexy like the Ultrafire C3 will come along and change my mind, but I really am attracted to fashion-follows-function design. Runtime is mostly because I don't like batteries going flat on me in use like my Jetbeam C-LE v2 did a couple times. (Energizer 2500 NiMH; very abrupt transition from full to dead) A moon mode is nice, as is a battery vampire. I bought a Malkoff M60 for the runtime (90 minutes regulated, still going full blast 50% longer than the P60 can stagger along at all, PLUS a moon mode) and an Aviator for the happy fun multistage. Reliability and protection capability are somewhat linked; I am entirely comfortable beating the stuffing out of someone using my Aviator (as an imprompteau flail, even) in a pinch, but I'm not so sure about the 6P doing the same, especially with the tip-off diffuser on the business end. This also means I'm comfortable subjecting an Aviator to the sort of abuse my daily kit will inevitably see, while I don't know the 6P will survive unscathed what the Aviator already has. Even if it's only a broken beamshaper, I can't quite justify paying for a new one now. To be fair, I'd say a Mag - probably even a mini-mag - is enough protection capability in the right hands. Basically, I think if it's tough enough to survive college, it is tough enough to break someone with, and vice versa.

mdocod

Flashaholic
output, runtime, reliability....

When choosing a reliable light, choosing an LED would be preferred to take bulb failures out the equation, and since so many LED lights now days are multi-mode, you can have output and runtime in the same package as needed. Compact size is pretty automatic when you pick a gift light, 1AA or 2AA are the standard "gift-able" items for most people. I'm a huge fan of the good ole LM31 as a gift light, simple 2 mode operation and decent quality. I've gifted a number of these lights and they always get great feedback, and it's bright enough on high to be considered mildly "potent." It may not have all the greatest features that a CPFer looks for, but is a much more non-flashaholic friendly introduction into flashlights.

Eric