Textbook and/or glossary for the REAL beginner.

artec540

Enlightened
Is there a glossary which describes all the various bits and pieces in plain language without any jargon at all? For example, it's not much use talking about something which has a head but no LED if one doesn't know what the head or the LED include. And while I assume that "lego" means the ability to interchange parts from one light with those of another, it's only a deduction, and how does one know what part will fit with, or work with, something else?

I was begining to think I was getting a bit of a handle on some of this stuff, but now I find that for every word I think I've learned, there are three other interpretations, four slang expressions and twenty three abbreviations, to say nothing of acronyms (which are apparently often confused with abbreviations and initials).

Fortunately for the likes of me, there are lots of very kind people who are generous with their time and knowledge but even their explanations, while clarifying some of the mysteries, assume that I know what other things mean when I am left floundering in the wake.

Thanks largely to patriot 36, I've learned enough to order some bits which I'm hoping to be able to put together and hope that I've got it right enough to get something that works and gives me what I want..... and I've bought a few new and used lights that are giving me a good deal of satisfaction, so most of my mystification is coming from trying to understand both the questions and the answers of other newbies!

I've got an Eznite (which is great), an EX10, a Tiablo A 9 (also very satisfying, and I'm waiting for an extension tube that I hope will enable me to boost its output, a Wolf-eyes Boxer 24W and, on its way, a Dereelight DBS. The "kit" is a 3D Mag, an aspheric lens and a "drop-in" (is that right) that some as a kit. But all of these were more or less "off the shelf" and could be bought (and were!) without knowing much more tan how to make Paypal work.

What we need is a text book for the real beginner, even if one had to pay for it.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Welcome Mat is a great place to start.

I was a newbie at the end of last year. After spending considerable time here reading and learning, I guess I'm sort of a semi-pro at a lot of this stuff now.

It just takes some time to absorb all the information. Have fun and enjoy!

:welcome:

artec540

Enlightened

Thanks to both of you gents. I've printed off the Welcome Mat and read it and I am printing off the other suggested tome as I write. The Welcome mat probably has everything in it and I just can't remember/learn it all. It does still make a lot of assumptions about how much one knows, however.
I guess I'll just have to do more homework!
Thanks again, though!

artec540

Enlightened
Thanks to both of you gents. I've printed off the Welcome Mat and read it and I am printing off the other suggested tome as I write. The Welcome mat probably has everything in it and I just can't remember/learn it all. It does still make a lot of assumptions about how much one knows, however.
I guess I'll just have to do more homework!
Thanks again, though!

Without in anyway denigrating "The Welcome Mat', I found that I learned more from Mr Carrot because I found the Welcome Mat intimidating. There is so much there that it was frightening and so many references to follow up that I found myself losing my place. I shall go back to it and take it in smaller bites, so as not to overwhelm my digestion1

I don't know if "Carrot" is a person or a nom-de-plume or what, but he's great! And I thank him warmly. Easy to read, makes very few assumptions, doesn't patronize and leaves gaps where they should be left. I just hope that those gaps can be filled by people as good, as knowledgeable and as understanding as he is.

One question that occurred to me as I was reading about switches....... and something I don't think I've seen addressed anywhere else.... Why does no-one make a switch using a relay, like car horns or car headlights? No need for any residual power that eventually flattens the battery, and the actual switching mechanism can be wherever one wants to put it, using little skinny wires to energize the switch itself.

One other point....... nothing to do with the excellently comprehensive nature of the explanations but again, something that occurred to me while reading and that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere...... I've got a Nitecore EX10, which I think is great and which I use as if it were a clicky, and it gets bloody hot if its left on for more than a very few minutes. Is this anything to do with using it as a clicky or is it an inherent characteristic?

Once again, many thanks to both the invaluable authors.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
As for the relay thing' I'm not sure, maybe size could be a reason it's not used? Some of the light end lights use a type of switch like the ones in the keyboards.

As for the EX10, the LED itself created heat. This heat is bad for the LED and is transferred to the body of the light and then to the outer surroundings. Since air is not a good conductor of heat, the heat from the LED can build up in the light. When it is easier to remove this heat, for example when you are holding the light, it would take longer to heat up and should balance out.

If the light is really getting hot with short use, then you probably have a problem. If it is getting warm when you are using it for a few minutes, that probably means a good thermal connection between the LED and the body of the light and is a good thing.

carrot

Flashaholic
Hi! This "Carrot" person is just another forumite who is interested in providing as much useful information as he can. I make no claim as to the validity of my work, only that I believe to have presented what I presume to know as accurately as possible. Nor has my work been as thoroughly vetted yet by other members as much as I have hoped. Please by no means mistake me for being any better informed than any of the other members on this board -- I have learned much from CPF and felt it best to re-contribute that knowledge in the form of a guide. It is not done, either, and if you have any questions, comments or suggestions specifically regarding it you can post them to the thread linked in my sigline, or drop me an email, as I strive to improve. I am glad you found it useful.

I have never heard of relay switches being used in flashlights, and I suspect the reason is because this is more complicated and much larger than the typical clicky, which is a concern since cheaper and smaller appears to be a trend nowadays. If there are flashlights that do use relay switches, then I simply haven't heard of them!

Gunner12 is spot-on about the EX-10 getting hot due to the LED. A light that does not get hot or at least warm is either being driven at low voltages or has a poor heat path between the emitter and the body.

Last edited: