are women resistant? is flashoholism a curse for males only?

tobushomme

Newly Enlightened
Hi world!

It´s my wife that makes me ask the question.

On thursday my wife and me spent the evening at a summer classic open-air event. It became windy and quite cold, so i gave the jacket of my suit to my wife. When she felt my P3D Q5 in the pocket she laughed at me. Open-air, at night - anybody who goes there WITHOUT a flashlight is plainly nuts. But she laughes at ME?

Yesterday I had a job interview. I had the same ligt on me. I went out with friends last night with the same light on me. They would never laugh about that.

My wive has a L1D CE. She uses it every night. Reading in bed or looking after our baby. Sometime last week she kept going from turbo to strobe, back to turbo and so on. I could not sleep in the flashing light so I asked her what she was doing. She told me she was trying to dim it. Hello? she has had the light for at least a year and still doesn´t have the hang of it?

Are there female flashoholics out there or is it a mans world?

sleep well

Tobus

EV_007

Enlightened
Actually, one of my girlfriends from few years back kinda "enlightened" me. This is before I carried a light on me.

It was New Years and we were visiting a friend of hers.

Her friend's driveway and walk up to the door was unlit and very dark.

Well I'm like, it's kinda dark back here, she pulls out her Photon Microlight and lights the way! I commented to her how useful it was and the next day I saw one in a sealed box presented to me.

I don't think she would carry a light that would not fit on her key chain, but for women I think it is the practical usefulness that they would not advertise for fear of looking "geeky" or unfeminine.

She was the only girlfriend that knew the benefits of having a light on her and would probably appreciate my unusual hobby if we were together til this day. What was I thinking...

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
My girlfriend and her friend really like my lights, they do think I'm crazy for having so many, but when ever I pull one out they are always impressed. Her favorite light is my Minimag 3xAA LED. With the head off of it, she thinks it looks like the wands in Harry Potter when they light up "what ever floats her boat:shrug::whistle:".

RGB_LED

Enlightened
We have our gadgets and tools... and women have their shoes and handbags. My last couple of gf's had huge obsessions with shoes which I couldn't understand. Still don't understand. So, I guess it's sort of the same thing in reverse as my current gf doesn't understand my obsession with lights and I still don't understand her obsession with shoes and handbags.

The only exception to this was my gf from 10 years ago who had a thing for power tools :cool:... then again, she was an architect and photographer so she was always either building a model or taking pictures. She had more power tools than I had which was a bit embarrassing... :rolleyes:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it isn't just men that have flashaholism!!! I am big into McGizmo's & Lummi's. I am a flashaholic, and I know several woman (and they are BOTH on CPF.) that are also flashaholics!! By the by, I am also into custom knives and love guns as well.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most women just aren't into gadgets like men do, like most men aren't into shoes and clothing, just human nature.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Thanks, Ryan. She decided the Precious Moments charms were better than a lanyard. Go figure... :shrug:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
A female acquaintance of mine asked me why I like flashlights, to which I simply replied "I just do, they're awesome". She quickly came back with "YOU DON'T KNOW WHY???" I told her "it's similar to how girls buy $900 shoes and handbags, I can't explain why". She quickly quipped "Oh I can tell you why girls like them, but you don't know why you like flashlights? Well come back and tell me when you find out."

Right before I felt like stabbing myself in the eye with a rusty screwdriver, I quickly figured out she was just trying to make me feel dumb- that she'll never understand flashaholism.:shakehead

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
She quickly quipped "Oh I can tell you why girls like them, but you don't know why you like flashlights? Well come back and tell me when you find out."

Right before I felt like stabbing myself in the eye with a rusty screwdriver, I quickly figured out she was just trying to make me feel dumb- that she'll never understand flashaholism- or appreciate me as a "friend", for that matter.:shakehead

Correct answer: "I like a variety of flashlights for how radiant they are, similar to all the dates I go on. What are you doing this evening?" :cool:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I seem to recall seeing quite a number of ladies at the Surefire party that took place not too long ago.... at least according to all the pics that were posted.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
my wife (who will only wear purple scrubs at work - something which her patients often comment about, but in a nice way since she's the one cuttin' or stickin' 'em in some procedures she'll perform on them), enjoys any light that is purple, plum, violet, lilac, lavender, and in certain rarer cases mauve, wine, or amethyst, as well as any other color in the purple family. this applies to both to the color of the light, or the color of the light's light! either or both must be purple/purple-ish. she currently EDC's on her keychain a lavender-ish Photon Microlight II w/a violet beam color, and a purple anodized Fenix E01 which replaced a few years old purple Mag Soli which more recently was upgraded w/a 3mm white LED upgrade.

however, she draws the line at some point. even when we're home alone, she is reluctant to don the purple-ish Black Diamond Moxie headlamp i purchased for her (there's just something about a woman wearing a HL that turns a flashaholic on!!! just kiddin'). she, more often than not, uses it as a handheld. that said, the gal engineers (all still in their 20's at this point) in my group at work truly appreciate the various lights i might EDC any given day. they are no different fr/the guy engineers (w/a much larger age range, 21/22 or so up to an ol' geezer like myself). when i EDC'd a Petzl Zipka, and then a ZipkaPlus some years ago, and they (gal or guy) would borrow it, *NONE*, but myself of course, would ever place it on their noggin', proper like. they all used it as a handheld or on their wrist. perhaps b/c they had prev. laughed at me, popping out fr/somewhere dark & tight in a lab or out fr/behind some lab equipment w/the Zipka on me noggin', that they thought others would laugh at them in a similar fashion??? in this regard the gals, in my experience, were no different than the guys. and people say that engineers, not counting yours truly of course, are not fashion conscious!!

see, there are women who appreciate flashlights. oh, and...let's not forget who owns and operates CPF!! ==> definitely female, if i'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

PhotoGal

Newly Enlightened
Tobus and other CPFers,

No, women aren't resistant to flashlights, et al. My husband thinks I never have enough flashlights (or shoes - he says I was a centipede in another life!) and always comments when I get a new one or two in the mail. Never mind the fact that he has multiple sets of screwdrivers, drills, wrenches, etc.

Glad to pop in here once in a while, altho' I mostly hide in the weeds and read the forums a lot.

Have a good day, all!

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Thanks to the ladies on this forum for speaking up - I'm happy to hear that there are some women out there who appreciate lights! :thumbsup::D:clap::party:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every time I glance at the title of this thread, I keep thinking it says "are women water resistant?" haha...