Leatherman TTi owners - a question

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a great deal on a Charge TTi - been on my want list about 2 years. But it seems very heavy. Leatherman web site says they weigh 8.2 ounces. I weighed mine in at 12.0 ounces. I emailed them (got an answer in about an hour!) and they checked 2 of them on a postal scale and they came in at 8.4 ounces. It feels like 12 oz. to me (3/4 pound) so just wondering if anyone else could weigh theirs (without sheath or case or any accessories) and if it's lighter than why is mine so heavy? I looked at the web site just to make sure I didn't get a different model in a TTi box but this has all the appearance of a Charge TTi and the handles are not magnetic like the rest of it so I assume they are Titanium. Maybe my scale is off but I've been using it for shipping and often comparing it to weights at the PO and it normally seems to be correct or very close. Other than being a bit heavy it seems like a really great tool and a nice addition to several Leatherman tools I've bought in the past.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's really weird! I don't have a charge but my wave is 8.5 oz, consider it more or less same as charge I don't see how could yours be 12 oz. :confused:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for checking. I'm going to dig out my Wave and weigh it. If it's 12 ounces I guess my scale is off. But to my recollection the Wave was lighter by quite a bit - that's if my recall of weight is better than some of my other fuzzy memory :D

znaps

Newly Enlightened
Unless you weighed the whole outfit (bits, sheath, clip etc.), with which you might come up close to 12 oz, check your Charge closely. Maybe it is actually a Surge, which does weigh 12 oz. Otherwise, your scale is off.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the mention of the surge - I hadn't looked at those but mine does say Leatherman Charge on both sides and looks exactly like the one on their web site. I still haven't had a chance to check my Wave or any other known weights on that scale. At this point I'll assume my scale is off but I'm still going to follow through on this as it just feels heavy. I'll probably take it to my local friendly P.O. next time I go as I think they'll weigh it for me.