• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

StickUp Bulb - Modded with GD and Seoul LED

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen the commercials every now and then about the stick up bulb that looks exactly like a regular incandescent bulb, but, you stick this one to the wall and it runs off batteries. It even has a pull chain to turn it on and off.

I was out shopping the other day and noticed infomercial items on the end of a isle and got to looking at them. When I saw the StickUp bulb since I was more curious to see if it could be modded or not and bought one to find out.

The stock bulb is marked 4.5V and when I applied 4.5V I measured 500mA of current being drawn and the bulb lit up dimly. Yuch!!!!

Removing the 4 bottom screws the insides look like this.
t640_IMG_0117.jpg

The post is 0.590" wide and positions the lamp in the middle of the surrounding bulb. Since I will be using a Seoul P4 LED I made the measurements so that the LED will be positioned at the bottom of the sphere and pointing upwards to flood fill the entire bulb sphere.

I found an acrylic rod 5/8" diameter would still fit into the bulb and be wide enough to hold the GD board inside. 5/8" is 0.625" and the converter is 0.550" wide.

Using the lathe I drilled through the entire length and then counterbored a 0.550" for about 1/2" from the bottom and 0.590" for about 1/10" from the bottom.

The LED hole at the top worked out by pure luck after adding the wires to be a press fit in the top requiring no glue and setting the GD for 100mA drive allows for no heatsinking.

I cut the existing rod off near the base and then popped on the new assembly for a dry fit test.

t640_IMG_0118.jpg

You can see near the bottom inside the tube is the converter board and the LED is at the top.

Top cover slipped back on picture.

t640_IMG_0119.jpg

Assembled:

t640_IMG_0120.jpg

t640_IMG_0121.jpg

Since the StickUp bulb uses 4AA batteries the GD converter being a true buck/boost will run happily with battery voltage higher or lower than the Vf of the LED.

WIth fresh batteries the battery current is less than 100mA and will now run 5-7X longer on a set of batteries and maintain constant brightness.

A real fun project for a day.

Wayne

Greg G

Enlightened
Yeah, you're definitely an addict. :D

I work in the automotive performance industry, and I notice that a lot of my customers have the addiction....the need for speed, ya' know?

I have a little old saying I like to tell them:

Me: "You'd be better of with a drug addiction".

Customer: (Gets a perplexed look on his face.)

Me: Yeah, because then you could get some help."

:crackup:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lookingaround these seem to be running around $9.95 from various online places including Ebay.

Just went back to Mervins and bought two more. I believe they rang up at $6.95 each. I think they are on sale right now. I am not clear as the sign above the items showed different list prices and the sale price, but, no description for any of the pricing. It was not clear which price was for each item.

They are pretty cool to mod.

Wayne

Latest posts