Streamlight ProPolymer luxeon 3C

Stream

Enlightened
I recently saw a two level version of this light. I thought it only came in a one mode version. Does anyone know if the two mode version is any brighter than the one mode version? And is there a Cree version? Probably not, but I thought I'd ask since I missed the two mode model lol.

roymail

Enlightened
I haven't heard of either a dual mode version or a Cree emitter being used in the 3C.

About 6 months back, I sent Streamlight an email asking if they had any plans to update the emitter in the Propoly's. Their response said they had no such plans. The was before they introduced the C4 emitters.

Stream

Enlightened
Thanks for the input, I have been doing some research here on CPF and it looks like Streamlight are in the process of replacing all the luxeons with K2s and Crees. After checking the Streamlight website I noted the following lights had received the new C4 emitters:

Argo HP LED Headlamp

Argo HP LED Headlamp

Streamlight Jr. LED

Streamlight Jr. Reach LED

Stinger DS LED

Stinger LED

NightFighter LED

Scorpion LED

Super Tac

TL-2 LED

Task-Light 3AA LED

Vantage

I don't see any C4s in the ProPolys or survivor yet but it looks like Streamlight are well under way with replacing the old luxeon emitters

Oh, and I should probably point out where I saw the dual mode version of the ProPolymer 3C: http://www.fox-intl.com/item.asp?id=338

Scroll down to "STREAMLIGHT ProPolymer 3C Luxeon LED (Division 1)", it should be the third item on the page.

SomeoneSomewhere

Newly Enlightened
If you read the bulleted list, it does say this:
Run time: 4 hrs. at full intensity up to 24 hrs. at lesser intensities

The lesser intensities bit seems to suggest it has a second mode.

rycen

Enlightened
They are refering to when the batteries start to drain = less output.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are refering to when the batteries start to drain = less output.

Yes. That's just the tail end of the battery life after the light drops out of regulation. Most well-designed, regulated lights have this extended period of low light output. That's not the same as a low mode that you can select.

Stream

Enlightened
If you read the bulleted list, it does say this:

The lesser intensities bit seems to suggest it has a second mode.

Yes, it does seem to suggest this. But I can accept that this may just be a misinterpretation and that the latter refers to after it drops out of regulation. However, would anyone care to explain to me the difference between the two listings for a ProPoly Lux 3C on that page? They read as follows:

STREAMLIGHT ProPolymer 3C Luxeon LED (Division 2)

* 10,000 hour super high-flux LED
* Run time up to 5.5 hours
* Lumen value: 40.0
* Durable, impact-resistant, non-conductive
* Push button switching
* 9.30" length
* Waterproof
* Requires 3 C Alkaline batteries
* Yellow or Black

STREAMLIGHT ProPolymer 3C Luxeon LED (Division 1)

* 1 watt 10,000 hour super high-flux LED
* Run time: 4 hrs. at full intensity up to 24 hrs. at lesser intensities
* Lumen value: 40.0
* Durable, impact-resistant, non-conductive
* Push button switching
* 9.30" length
* Waterproof
* Requires 3 C Alkaline batteries
* Yellow or Black

And why is there a difference in the price, as well. The first is $35.95 and the second one, that seemed to suggest two modes, is listed as $40.95. That, in addition to the differences in descriptions, is what made me wonder if it was a different version. It may just be different batches, though, which could explain why there is a discrepancy in both item description and price.

OceanView

Enlightened
However, would anyone care to explain to me the difference between the two listings for a ProPoly Lux 3C on that page?...And why is there a difference in the price, as well.
I'm certainly no expert on safety certifications, but the "Division 1" and "Division 2" refer to the hazardous environment certifications that the light must have passed. Division 1 is more stringent than Division 2. I believe that there are some small but real differences in the two models, although just the extra QC and R&D that goes into the Div 1 light might wholly account for the price differential compared to the Div 2 model.

And I'll echo what the others have said--it's only a single output light.

Stream

Enlightened
Thanks, that helps to clear things up. Aside from the safety ratings, do you think there is any difference in brightness? Given the different runtimes listed (4 hours vs 5.5 hours).

OceanView

Enlightened
...do you think there is any difference in brightness? Given the different runtimes listed (4 hours vs 5.5 hours).
That's a good question because both lights are listed as 40 lumens but have different runtimes. If you look at the description of these lights on another website, like BrightGuy, you'll see that the Div 1 has a much longer advertised period of "diminishing output" than the Div 2 light (18 vs 2 hours). This is just a guess, but my only explanation is that the Div 1 is made to put out "usable" light for a longer time than the Div 2 model because of a difference in the hazardous environments these lights are designed to be used in. A Div 1 situation is likely to have flammable or explosive gases present while Div 2 does not.

If I were a miner, working in potentially explosive situations, changing the batteries in your light is normally NOT permitted, therefore you want a light that will produce a decent amount of light for as long as possible. Practically speaking, I'm not sure what that means but I would suspect that the Div 1 will remain at 40 lumens for 4 hours and then noticeably decline in output at first, but then gradually diminish from there in a long "tail". I suspect that the Div 2 model will output 40 lumens for 5.5 hours and then try to maintain as much output as possible, which presumably is about 2 hours. By that point, the batteries are quite depleted and the output drops below 50%.

So, depending on what kind of performance you want/need, the Div 1 or Div 2 might be to your liking but both should be the same brightness with fresh batteries. But again, I am totally guessing here, just based on the advertising so please don't take my guesses as fact without someone else's confirmation.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
Thanks, that helps to clear things up. Aside from the safety ratings, do you think there is any difference in brightness? Given the different runtimes listed (4 hours vs 5.5 hours).

One possibility is that they were trying to decide what would be the more accurate wording to describe the runtime and forgot to updated the specs for one of the lights.

Another hunch that I have is that maybe they actually had to use a slightly different type of circuit to make it safer to use around flamable gases and stuff.

Latest posts