• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SOB/Tri Cree light?

Greg G

Enlightened
Edit: The SOB board won't drive 3 Cree's. Magic Smoke came out.

I've asked this before and didn't get an answer. Searched some more tonight, didn't see anything definitive.

I'm building a Surefire M3 Combatlight with 3 R2 Cree's, and running it on 3 AW RCR123's (12.6 volts fresh off charger).

I bought a power supply today and have been playing around with it. I decided to see if an SOB would run 3 Crees in series, so I wired it up, set the power supply on 12.6 volts, and she works! I'm going to run it for a while tonight and see how the board does.

Wayne, I know this may sound silly, but it appears that the "Voltage In" and the "Negative" for the battery pack are labeled wrong in the diagram on the website? Far be it from me to say anything, but the hole labeled for "Voltage In" is connected to the center pad that can contact the battery.

Last edited:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not clear what you are referring to.

The wiring diagram shown below is what is on the site and is correct.

t640_soba.jpg

Note: J6 is LED- and is two tiny holes. The leftmost one labeled Vin is battery voltage positive in and is connected the the bottom center pad which would be the anode contact if used in a flashlight or Light Engine.

Battery connection should be battery plus to Vin and Battery minus to the hole labeled GND.

Even if the 3 Crees Vf were higher than Vin the SOB would be in DD mode and the LEDs would be not as bright as in full regulation. Nothing wrong with that.

Vin max is 16V.

Battery input are the two holes with square outlines around them.

Wayne

Greg G

Enlightened
On the SOB that I have, there is continuity between the bottom + pad for the battery, and the terminal shown as GND.

There is also continuity between the LED - terminal (J6) and the terminal shown as VIN.

:thinking:

ry%3D320

Last edited:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait... I just double checked and you are correct. My mistake. I will change the wiring diagram.

Sorry about that.

Let me know if you need a replacement board(s).

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Wayne

Last edited:

Greg G

Enlightened
Don't worry about it Wayne. I fried the board because I tried to use it for an application it wasn't intended for. :poof::whistle: