• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Need help finding red led light

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason the Peak website doesn't like my computer too much. I'm looking for a aaa or maybe aa red led light, can anyone help me get one? Thanks in advance!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If you can find them, the older CMG red Infinity is one of best. Don't notice a lot of ringy artifacts, and bright red. Go to BST on Market Place and start a Buy thread.

Bill

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a current Gerber Inf Ult - red from fellow CPFer. Good beam and seemingly better quality than the earlier Gerber white that I have.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input guys, I actually was going to get a Gerber IU at edcdepot for 9.99, but they're out of stock. I'm really interested in giving Peak a try, but their site makes it really hard. I'm liking the output options, hard anodize, American made and on their site they're having a 25% off sale on all lights. I'm also prefering aaa.

Edit: it seems that the promo code is expired:shakehead.

Last edited:

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Defloyd, have you tried phoning Peak to discuss your objectives w/Curt or Robyn?

Peak's website can be confusing, but the Matterhorn (AAA) and Kilimanjaro (AA) lights are available w/red LEDs.

I bought a Gerber Infinity Ultra in RED a few years ago. Biggest mistake I ever made w/liights. The anodizing rubbed off in a few weeks and the artifact-infested beam looked like it was filtered through a jug of cancerous cockroaches from outer space swimming in pasteurized goat piszz. I'll sell it to ya real cheap: $9 -- $0.99 less than that web-seller ya mentioned -- if you're gullible enough to take it. Such a deal!

As Bullseyebill says, if ya can find an old (like new) original CMG Infinity or Infinity Ultra via B-S-T here, that would be far better. They're rare, but pop up here for $25-35 occasionally. Even if it's got a white LED, you can always slip a red balloon or condom over it for red-ness.

Alternately, just empty the dimes from your piggy-bank and grab one of those classic Peaks.

RobynS

Newly Enlightened
Defloyd, have you tried phoning Peak to discuss your objectives w/Curt or Robyn?

Peak's website can be confusing, but the Matterhorn (AAA) and Kilimanjaro (AA) lights are available w/red LEDs.

Actually any of the 5mm lights (the Mountain Series) can be made with Red LED's - although as stated above a lot of the Red's have really bad artifacts - it's kind of a hit a miss. I can get a bag of 250 LED's some are really good and some horrible.

We can also custom make any of the Ocean series with colored LED's if desired.

Robyn

gorn

Enlightened
There is a dealer selling new old stock Peak light in the dealer section of the market place right now. The prices are unbeatable. He has white, red and UV units. Just as an example a single white LED matterhorn in HA is going for $5.

Illum

Flashaholic
I happened to have the same issue...that is, before I had my Fenix E01 modded by user chimo up in canada for astronomy purposes. It'll cost a bit but the results are well worth the price, especially considering how tough these suckers are to mod:grin2:

MWClint

Enlightened
with the overlapping beams on the multi led peaks..would most of the red led artifacts in the hotspot cancel out?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I happened to have the same issue...that is, before I had my Fenix E01 modded by user chimo up in canada for astronomy purposes. It'll cost a bit but the results are well worth the price, especially considering how tough these suckers are to mod:grin2:

:huh: Details please!!!

Illum

Flashaholic
:huh: Details please!!!

well, I raised my interest initially in chimos technical thread about the test results of his E01 after he succeeded in unpotting the head. I liked the E01 size and was beffled about how her managed to open one. so I threw out an offer and he took it.

I offered a trade, two E01s for one modded light. Chimo wanted to know everything about my preference of the light including drive current, color, brightness, usage, etc. For my use [astronomy] I'll be leaving the light on for long periods so he kindly set the drive current at 27ma, used a 4500mcd LED and even polished the "reflector" in the bezel. All done in relative time of about 2 weeks I think :)

the cost was pretty cheap for the amount of user customizable selections he asks, plus its shipped with the box and he included an Alkaline battery. It was ready to use out of the box :rock:

I'll post some pics later, I'm on campus at the moment and I don't have the light with me.

comparison shots
Bottom is modded, left is modded, note the polished reflector

drivers, note some heat(?) damage on the contacts but they work very well and the repotting is excellent

the polished reflector, thumbnail for ultra-macro

now some beamshots, 5" from table
some artifacts are inevitable, but not noticeable in field duty:devil:

beam characteristic

Something also to think about: I left the light on for 10 hours or so during a long night looking up at the milkyway, we got hit by rain and the E01 touched rainwater, lakewater, some mud, and it never failed or leaked. :huh:
The light provided "just right" amount of light in total darkness and made the 3AAA energizer headlamp's full current red LEDs look like eyeball scorchers. clipped to the tripod stand illuminating the work table 2 feet from the side gave me enough ambient lighting to sketch a few of the messier objects and the size of it impressed a few senior astronomers who built their own creations using a 9V battery and a resistored LED:twothumbs

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened
Gorn- saw that deal- it is a great price even if they are the older "S" power LED's I beleive- not the current "H" or "U" stamped on the gold positive contact? Did you have any problems with the ones you got?

Jeff,

All five of the lights I bought are great. Yeah they are the older non ultra ones, but I had the ultra's already. The red one I got is by far the best red light I own. It outshines my others by a long shot. There is no stamp on the contact. The UV light that came with my order is the real old knurled round head. Now I think I have about every variation of the brass AAA.