Looking for cheap boost chip 1.5v for LED

ken2400

Enlightened
Just looking to drive 1 20ma LED from old batteries that are .7 to 1.5.
Is there a chip for this or a REAL simple circuit to do it?

Thanks

mdocod

Flashaholic
the little dorcy 1AAA LED flashlight has one in it :), not sure how far it can pull down the cells though. Might be cheaper to buy that light for $6 at the store than have something shipped, hard to say though.

Illum

Flashaholic
the dorcy 1AAA 2nd gen measures off my multimeter at 240ma:green:
since its a DC-DC step up, the LED's not getting 240ma, thats for sure...from the output I'd say its around there:grin2:

I built this guy from scratch...and I'm out of 150uF electrolytic caps, so I used two 100uF caps:candle:
using a new 1.5V alkaline AA It can boost to 3.3V, sufficient to light up a RX1H luxeon star...at about 100ma

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Saw that. Can I buy the coil from digi-Key? Which one.

Thanks

unfortunately the coil is the most difficult part of the joulethief, and it has to be homemade because the schematics require it to have 4 wires instead of the usual 2, meaning you'll need a ferrite coil and wound one yourself. none of my homemade inductors as per the joulethief instructions actually gave me a light:green::candle:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Single%20Cell%20White%20LED%20Driver%20Circuit.gif

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you JTR1962 for posting this circuit. I hadn't thought to ask on here but I wanted a simple low current boost circuit to play with and it looks like this is the ticket :)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey jtr, is the inductor in that design commercially available, or does it have to be hand-wound like the Joule Thief's? It looks a little more complex, but if it doesn't require any hand-made components, it could be pretty handy.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
if you have a walmart near they sold a raovac 1AAA LED penlight for cheaper than the dorcy unless you can find one on clearance. My walmart had the nichia dorcy for $4.50 on clearance

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Hey jtr, is the inductor in that design commercially available, or does it have to be hand-wound like the Joule Thief's? It looks a little more complex, but if it doesn't require any hand-made components, it could be pretty handy.
It's just a standard commercially available inductor. No hand winding required.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Thats GREAT!
What is the volt of C1 and does it matter?

Thanks
Voltage of C1 doesn't really matter as it sees no more than perhaps 4 volts. Most ceramics are rated at 50V at least.

BTW, with some tweaking and changing of values it's possible to use this circuit to drive far more than one LED. I made a version which powers two strings of 14 LEDs in series from 4.8 volts (4 AA batteries in series). I don't remember what component values I used offhand as that was about 3 years ago. The circuit as shown drives the LED with an average of roughly 20 mA when powered by a AA cell. You can decrease R2 to increase the drive current, and vice versa.

Illum

Flashaholic
Just looking to drive 1 20ma LED from old batteries that are .7 to 1.5.
Is there a chip for this or a REAL simple circuit to do it?

Thanks

well...simple as possible you could go down to two components...but I'd prefer to have filter caps on both the in and out
0.9V- Boost Driver for White LEDs PR4401/4402

All you need to change is the inductor value to get the appropriate current output.

I don't think it gets easier than this, my soldering suck so SOT23 is no good for me because its a SMT component. but so far I haven't been able to find one that has it in the easy TO-220 packages:shakehead:mecry:

minimum startup: 0.9V and could operate between 0.7V and 1.9V at 25C
if the circuit is completed with 10uH inductor + 1 LED Vcc = 1.5V
LED peak Vf [5.8V], mean current [20ma], mean supply current [70ma], efficiency [77%]

these values are from a datasheet I have on the hard drive...I haven't been able to locate the right link to post to this post

EDIT: found the link: http://www.prema.com/pdf/pr4401.pdf

Last edited: