HID Kits. What are not "cheap" kits

Charon

Newly Enlightened
I have seen the thread on 55w HID test. Now, is there any information or comparison on the 55W kits ?

I picked up a 55w kit from xenonexpert a while back and installed it into a spotlight with twin lamps. I figure this was pretty damn bright. But I also did not have much to compare it with. The HID lights are not focused properly in the reflector so it gets alot of flood.

I recently picked up another spotlight and was looking at doing a HID mod. But am unsure. I have been unable to find information on output/quality of different HID kits.

Could I improve the output of the current kit in my other spotlight by overdriving the ballasts ?

And are these 55w kits that much brighter then a 35w kit ? I would like to mod this new spotlight but if the 55w hid kits are just BS what is the point ?

The light I just got, I picked up at a local auction new in box. It is a "Brunton solarspot 10" cheap but has a large reflector. I measured 9" outer diameter at the reflector. Uses a H4 type bulb.

BRU0065.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
And are these 55w kits that much brighter then a 35w kit ? I would like to mod this new spotlight but if the 55w hid kits are just BS what is the point ?

I think your answer is in your first link. It looks like they're about 42-43W or good for an additional 700-800 lumens.

Charon
Could I improve the output of the current kit in my other spotlight by overdriving the ballasts ?

I'm bumped BFG9000's thread to see if his resistor mod was sucessful or not. Hopefully it was :)