Surefire E2E-black HA3 question?

H2Orower

Enlightened
I found a great deal on the new KX2C 120 lumen led head (refer to "good deals" in the MP) and I'm looking to buy a SF 2-cell black body to put it on. It must be HA3 to match the KX2C. I like the looks of the black E2E, but I'm reading conflicting info on the anodization. The SF website claims that the black and olive drab are HA3, while the satin grey is HA2, but I've read posts and websites referring to HA2 black E2Es. What's the deal? I found a closeout special at LApoliceGear.com for a black E2E at a good price I think ($75), but the description mentions HA2. Could someone explain how you're supposed to know what you're getting? Thanks.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
if it doesn't say bk-ha, it's not hard anodized.

Not true. When I bought my E2E BK, printed on the box, it says E2E-BK. One way of knowing if its type II is if its shiny like the 6p/9p. If its matte like the E2D then its type III.

2607200851821am0010cw2.jpg

sfze4.jpg

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Firstly, the "3" in "HA3" is redundant - 'HA3' is a rhetorical tautology and a pleonasm.
Secondly, there is no such thing as "HA2" - the term is a contradiction in terms and in the context of the post does not appear to be oxymoronic.
(it can be expressed as 'Hard Anodised Soft')

SureFire state that their "HA" is Hard Anodised to Mil-A-8625 Type III Class 2.

Mil Spec Type II is sulphuric acid anodising which is usually dyed. It provides the very basic in corrosion resistance, abrasion resistance, and dielectric properties.

Mil Spec Type III is sulphuric/oxalic acid anodising which produces a thick and dense growth (aka "hardcoat"). This "Hard Anodising" provides excellent abrasion resistance and corrosion protection, but is often difficult to colour.

Okay - back to the E2e...

Whilst the E2 was made in type II black, I don't believe it was never made in type III black (HA BK).
The opposite is the case for the E2e: whilst it was made in type III black, it has never been made in type II black.

In terms of the specific retailer you mention the best way to be sure is to request a photo of it. It is easy to tell the difference between type II and type III black anodised finish.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whilst the E2 was made in type II black, I don't believe it was never made in type III black (HA BK).
The opposite is the case for the E2e: whilst it was made in type III black, it has never been made in type II black.

While you're almost always right regarding things Surefire, this appears to be an exception to the rule... http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=95030

I bought one and can verify that it was indeed Type II anodized.

matt0

Enlightened
If you're looking to buy the E2E just for the body, there are cheaper options. Unless you want the lamp, head and tailcap, you can get a black E2DL body from ttran97 in the Marketplace for quite a bit less...

Size15's

Flashaholic
While you're almost always right regarding things Surefire, this appears to be an exception to the rule... http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=95030

I bought one and can verify that it was indeed Type II anodized.
Like I said I believe what I said was the case and it does appear the type II black E2e's are extremely rare (and not something I had come across before). Thanks for enlightening me - it would be cool to see some photos please! :)

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure there are a few E2E's floating around out there with type II finish. I had a chance to buy one a couple weeks ago, but forgot about it, the guy said it was the glossy type finish, not the hard anodizing.. I've seen that a forum member had some advertised awhile back, saying they were rare.

H2Orower

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the prompt replies and input. I stand corrected on the terms I used on my original post. So apparently the two possibilities are: Type II annodizing ("shiny",ie 6P) and Type III Hard annodizing ("matte",ie E2D). And, based on your responses, there are black E2Es of both types. It would seem to me that SF would have different model numbers to differentiate. Without seeing the item in person, how else could someone order one online? If the package says E2E-BK is it Type III HA? Could someone with both packages please confirm if possible?

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Where's that "this thread is useless without photos" icon when you need it? :devil:
Here you go:

worthless.gif

...based on your responses, there are black E2Es of both types. It would seem to me that SF would have different model numbers to differentiate. Without seeing the item in person, how else could someone order one online? If the package says E2E-BK is it Type III HA? Could someone with both packages please confirm if possible?

Al will correct me if I'm wrong here, but based purely on the SF parts code (and my own black HA e2e), I'd risk a guess and say:

Type II= e2e BK
Type III= e2e HA-BK

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Al will correct me if I'm wrong here, but based purely on the SF parts code (and my own black HA e2e), I'd risk a guess and say:

Type II= e2e BK
Type III= e2e HA-BK

For type III, its referred to as E2E BK, at least thats what is on the package. This has been discussed a while back.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think it's clear that due to SureFire not having this as a regular product option - making small batches of Black HA versions means they haven't been that consistent over the years when it comes to descriptors.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the package says E2E-BK is it Type III HA? Could someone with both packages please confirm if possible?

I would say that's correct about 99% of the time with the exception of the few type II black E2E's floating around out there.

Every type III black E2E I've ever owned or seen has just said E2E-BK on the box.

Mine said HA-BK. :shrug:

I have not come across these myself. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

H2Orower

Enlightened
Wow...it's as clear as mud! :) But really, I think I have a pretty good idea now. I'm feeling more confident that if I ordered an E2E-BK from an online source, that it would be Type III HA, which is what I want. It sounds like the Type II black finish is found on the less recently produced models. I might just take a chance.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Distinguishing Type II from Type III by eye is optimistic. Look at the variations in color and surface on the natural-finish lights - it gets worse with black.
I must have optimistic eyes because it's always been easy for me.
As others have mentioned it's about spotting the dull matt quality. In certain lighting conditions there's an obvious purple hue tint as well.
Type II as a consistent shade and an obvious gloss to it.
I am quite happy to be tested on this - show me some SureFires and I'll tell you whether they are black type II or black type III.