RMSK, Inc.        

Thread: Brinkmann 3W "Scroll" flashlight

Default Brinkmann 3W "Scroll" flashlight

For submission in the Reviews forum

Hi, I recently bought this Brinkmann 3W Cree LED, 3xAAA light, it’s not expensive ($17 USD), people in the US can find it at Target store .

Because this light uses plastic material, so it’s not heavy, the most important feature of this light is the “Scroll switch”, you just need scroll the switch to turn flashlight on and for brighter light from 0.5W to 3W, very easy to operate.

It uses OP reflector and Cree XR-E LED.

This light is bright; I estimated 100 total lumens approximately in beginning, throw is good, lux readings at 1meter are:
    Max level
    7220 lux (alkaline)
    6330 lux (NiMH)

Low level
    1640 lux (alkaline)

Show beamshots below (all using alkaline batteries) and compared to Feix L2DQ5 and Led lenser (TT7438) :

5m shots

10m shots

Low level 10m beamshot compared to NuwaiQIII

also runtimes:

runtimes with either alkaline or NiMH batteries were performed just as expected.

7/26 updated---

With low level (0.5W I think), I got about 9.5 h nice performance.

I like this cheap light, the bad thing of this light is no water proof, but this doesn’t bother me, I still have a lot of fun with this light
    Last edited by Chao; 07-27-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Add pics
    Welcome to take a look at my beamshots at 5m ,10m distance and lux readings

Default Re: Brinkmann 3W "Scroll" flashlight

Looks nice.

Price and performance are both pretty good.

I wished they used 2 C batteries instead but that would raise the cost.

I wonder how much heatsinking is in that light.

take it apart ..lets see those guts and what makes it tick

i think with better heatsinking in custom mag that would be sweet and the variable circuit looks like a good modders piece

you should post run time plots and beam shots with the lower modes.
    I am looking for a ~10 Lumen night stand light that runs for around 5-10 hours... but it MUST have good color rendition and under $20. So, I'm looking at low current Cree, Seoul and Rebel based lights... as well as the long running Nichias

Nice review overall though, its definitely got a tight hot spot.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

I will def need to check it out.......the next time im at Target. Nice review....where do you install the batts, do you take the front out or is it at the end.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by qip View Post
    take it apart ..lets see those guts and what makes it tick

i think with better heatsinking in custom mag that would be sweet and the variable circuit looks like a good modders piece
    My guess is that it isn't a circuit at all, just a rheostat..

The heat is just exhausted from those holes, I think it's efficient, but sure, no waterproof.

Battery holder and tailcap. This is what I can take this light apart without tools

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    you should post run time plots and beam shots with the lower modes.
    I am looking for a ~10 Lumen night stand light that runs for around 5-10 hours... but it MUST have good color rendition and under $20. So, I'm looking at low current Cree, Seoul and Rebel based lights... as well as the long running Nichias

Nice review overall though, its definitely got a tight hot spot.
    I will do low level runtime test and beamshots and post them later.

can you measure the length of the cell-caddy?
    I wonder if that light will support an 18650 or 18500 cell for extended run times and output?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2640

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6979

Can the head be taken apart easily?

thanks for doing this, if its lowest setting is around 10L I just might jump on it
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

When you do a low-level runtime test, you should begin at an output level of a certain percentage of max, say 10% or 25%, then when you compare the runtimes you can roughly ascertain how lossy the dimming circuit is.
    Last edited by Turbo DV8; 07-26-2008 at 02:37 PM.

If only this had been a 2AA light instead of 3AAA, I would be one who says I'm getting one. Why do manufacturers insist on a 3AAA format anyway? The Coleman 3AAA made me pause, but then they came out with a 2AA. Now I'm looking closer at it!
    Minimag with niteize LED (2), River Rock 2AAA (2), River Rock 2AA, Brinkmann 3AAA LED headlamp, ROV Roughneck 2D, Inova keychain LED, Performance Tool 3AAA.

Wow considering it’s cheapness, it isn’t so bad and it appears to have a good small hotspot.
    “What do you mean LEDs are more efficient then Incans?”, that’s just what they want you to think! It’s a Conspiracy, Man!

flashlight companies are becoming very creative these days. I remember building a LED cluster with a trim pot to adjust the light output, this concept sounds familiar. Its a pretty good compromise for people who either cannot operate programmed modes or simply prefer a "dimmer" switch

Perhaps its the principal design feature that prevents the unit being anywhere near waterproof they decided to cut vent holes on the side, much to the similarity of Inova's Radiant series.

Quote Originally Posted by MorePower
    My guess is that it isn't a circuit at all, just a rheostat..
    the runtime graph reminds me of a so called "semi regulated" output. for all we know there may be a DC-DC step up circuit in it as 3AAA+resistor lights usually have a more even discharge curve than this.

CREE, Orange Peel...heck! no more artifacts!

If your look at the photos, it looks like the light contains a circuit board.
    With 3 cells, it does not need a step up or step down circuit, but it needs something for the regulation, maybe a pwm circuit?

I'm in love! Wait! What's this? Takes AAA cells? I guess it was just puppy love...

Thanks for posting the pics of where the batts go.....dont think this light will do at all since it needs to have some kind of water resistance.

Thanks for posting the pics of where the batts go.....dont think this light will do at all since it needs to have some kind of water resistance.

This is the low level runtime graph I just done, 9.5h performance, not bad, the total output looks like around 20 lumens (20% of Max), the lux reading in low was 1640 lux, I will take low level beamshot later.

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    can you measure the length of the cell-caddy?
    I wonder if that light will support an 18650 or 18500 cell for extended run times and output?

:
    The length of cell-caddy is 52mm, my 18500 fits very well, but the (+) and (-) end of this battery-caddy were organized at the same side toward the flashlight head, so still can not works with a 18500.

pretty good regulation IMO

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Illum_the_nation View Post
    the runtime graph reminds me of a so called "semi regulated" output. for all we know there may be a DC-DC step up circuit in it as 3AAA+resistor lights usually have a more even discharge curve than this.
    Pictures were posted after I did, so I hadn't seen the circuit board through the slots in the side of the light.

Based on the low level runtime plot, I'd say PWM is likely, but the high output curve with alkaline cells is a typical direct drive curve. Without opening the light, we can't be 100% sure, but I'd be very surprised to see a boost circuit in this light. 3AAA is virtually always direct drive, especially in less expensive lights.

Thinking Re: Brinkmann 3W "Scroll" flashlight

perhaps the switch design of this light [I.E. the rheostat] of the light is consuming more current/voltage than the LED can downrange?

dunno, I looked around in my target and didn't see anything like it
    someone crack the egg open so we can see if its a chicken or a rabbit inside it

I think I remember one being cracked open.

Edit: yeah, here it is
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=199344

Ohgeez Re: Brinkmann 3W "Scroll" flashlight

d'oh, I forgot all about that thread

These just showed up in my local Target a couple weeks ago. $18.99. Here my take on this light.

The Goods: Nice beam. A tinge warmer white than my L2D and no weird color casts. 4 bond, yellow core cree XR-E LED. Good spot with throw. tighter than 2C taskforce. About the same intensity as the TF, but the TF has a wider beam so the TF outputs more light. Tighter beam than L2D so out throws it. It is very light in weight for its size.

Yes it is a 3AAA, but given the graphs above, 1 hour and 40 minutes on high with Ni-Mh cells, is quite good, 9 hours on low is fantastic and low is as bright as many luxeon I lights.

The Bads: As others have stated it is a non waterproof plastic light. Too bright in lowest setting. Turn the wheel 1/3rd way and it is full bright. I find I use it either low or high. never mid levels. In backpacks or glove box, the wheel may get turned on by accident. Should have more resistance to the click switch.

Overall: A Cree XR-E based light for under $20. it makes a nice 'round the house light with a good beam and throw of more costly lights. Stay out of anything more than a light sprinkle.

Flashaholic*

In case anyone is interested, Target has these on clearance for $6.48

Quote Originally Posted by rmteo View Post
    In case anyone is interested, Target has these on clearance for $6.48
    Yeup. Got one. Now how to take apart, is it welded? Removing the two screws behind the rubber bezel didn't cause things to fall apart yet.