Lowest wattage HID?

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at 10 watt HIDs and though to my self "what is the lowest watt HID available?" Is there anything less than 10 watts? If so what if you got a 5 watt HID? You could actually run it off alkaline! The 6 D Maglite has a 4.26 watt bulb while running for 10 hours. How cool Would it be to have a HID 5 watt 6D maglite. What do think it would put out for lumens? 300 maybe, so it wouldn't really be that much brighter than with the Magnum star xenon bulb, but it would still be cool:D!

mdocod

Flashaholic
As I understand it, very low wattage HID bulbs have certainly been attempted, but it doesn't work very well.

Remember that an HID is quite literally an arc of electricity between 2 points, maintaining a good arc with good light output really becomes difficult when you crunch the wattage requirement down lower.

:)

Eric

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I understand it, very low wattage HID bulbs have certainly been attempted, but it doesn't work very well.

Remember that an HID is quite literally an arc of electricity between 2 points, maintaining a good arc with good light output really becomes difficult when you crunch the wattage requirement down lower.

:)

Eric

Well ya that's what I figured, you would have to make the arc really small or something, but it probably gets inefficient at such point. Thanks for the help. Oh and Happy 4,000 Posts!:twothumbs