Surefire, best throw?

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
Which 2 cell surefire has the best throw?

I'm thinking about getting a Surefire for a friend who is going to Kosovo. The light should be somewhere around 5 inch, therefor I'm looking at 2 cell surefires.

The main thing here would be throw distance. To be able to spot things at a distance.

I don't have any surefires to compare with. I got a Novatac 120 that is perfect for me, but the throw distance on that one wouldn't fit my friend needs.

Which surefire would you recommend?

generic808

Enlightened
The Surefire 2 cells are all very similar. The 6P would be a good place to start, and perhaps swapping out the P60 lamp and upgrading to a Malkoff M60 will give you what you're looking for. This set-up will give you 235 lumens of blistering light with pretty nice thow.

Or you could use that 6P and add a extender/Detonator w/KT2 Turbo Head for monster throw. There are too many options to list everything, but if you give a price range, I'm sure myself and other members can suggest something to fit your needs :thumbsup:

H2Orower

Enlightened
Which 2 cell surefire has the best throw?

I would think that would be the new E2DL defender, or any two cell body with the new KX2C conversion head (single output, non-crenelated version of E2DL head). Either way, if you want throw, I think you want a Surefire with the TIR optic in there. If you are willing to sacrifice a little throw for a much smaller light, then the E1B is a good choice, but for maximum ooomphh, go for the E2DL.:twothumbs

Edit: my opinion is based on stock Surefire models. I'm not personally familiar with 6P add ons/mods.

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larger reflectors get best throw. You could pick a 2-cell body and put a Turbohead on it... trouble is, the 2-cell Turbohead lamps are 60 lumens, which is pretty low output. However, replacement parts are readily available.

An aftermarket LED would probably put more light at a distance than a stock Turbohead with 60 lumen lamp... but if the LED module fails, there's little to no hope of getting it replaced outside the U.S.

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about $150 in total.

I'm planning on buying a used light for a good price and then go for a drop in.

Does it matter what flashlight I use, like the 6P, G2 or E2DL when using a drop in? Or is the throw distance only affected by the drop in?

My friend saw my Novatac 120 and even though he liked it, he was impressed by the throw distance. So it has to be better than that.

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
The E2DL has the same max output as my Novatac 120. Is there much difference in the throw between them?

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
I already got a Surefire G2L at home. What if I replaced it with a M60? Would that have a better throw than the Novatac 120?

pipspeak

Enlightened
Without having to play lego, a stock E2DL has pretty phenomenal throw for its size thanks to the TIR lens. It also has decent runtime on high and a useful 5-lumen low.

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
Would you say that the E2DL has better throw than a G2L with a M60 installed?

pipspeak

Enlightened
Good question... I can't help you with that comparison since I don;t have any M60 lights.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget the M60 and go with a Dereelight SMO module if throw in a G2 is what you are after.