Laser Devices Flashlight? NOT Laser Products

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone heard of the "Laser Devices"-"Operative" Flashlight?:shrug:

It looks like it may be E-series compatible, but I won't know till I get it.

I don't think it has any relation to Surefire as the old Surefire stuff was "Laser Products" NOT Laser Devices
Any Info?....:popcorn:.....This is what it looks like.

5d35_11.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
Laser Devices is completely separate from Laser Products (aka SureFire) and come from the laser aiming sight age along with Insight Technology Inc.
Unlike Laser Products that changed its name, rebranded itself, pushed forwards with new products and significant marketing into the new Millennium, the likes of ITI and Laser Devices kept to their niche pasts. Although ITI has begun to push fowards over the last few years it appears that Laser Devices lacks the vision, or balls, or capital to invest in putting themselves out there where all the fun is. ASP is similar in that regard.
These companies could never compete with SureFire, nor could they aim at competing with Streamlight and now the market has exploded and the Chinese have entered into the game it's all but too late.

That's my perspective FWIW.

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Size15's!!!

It looked interesting and the price was right so I thought I'd give it a shot. If its parts are not compatible with my E-series, I'm sure I'll get rid of it or mod it.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm somewhat familiar with them.

My perspective is different from Size 15s. Laser Devices is concentrated on military contracts for IR lasers/illuminators. If you see those boxy devices on the barrels of U.S. military rifles, those are Laser Devices IR illuminators/lasers. From what I can tell, Laser Devices owns this market. Flashlights are an afterthought for them, but what I see on their website seems OK, if not earthshattering.

ASP is another security/law enforcement manufacturer that makes collapsable batons, baton accessories, handcuffs, pepper spray, and flashlights. Their batons are very popular in the LE/security market. Their flashlights seem OK, also, but they are not as ubiquitous as Surefires.

Surefire specializes in lights, ASP in batons, and Laser Devices in IR weaponlights/designators. Each is well respected in its niche.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...that was a good bash...

Anyways, Laser Devices (which pre-dates both Surefire and Insight) has never concentrated on flashlights, but has done extensive OEM work for Streamlight (Scorpion, TF/NF series all have LDI designed bulbs and optics) and Blackhawk/Night Ops.

Their main focus is laser and optics, not flashlights. They stayed that way, and are successful. From my perspective, SF was unable to compete with their own laser/optic designs, so they focused more on the flashlight niche.

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's fair enough Dano - it's obvious that the military laser aiming market has two major players - LD and ITI, and Laser Products evolving into SureFire was the result of them concentrating on their products being demanded from them - lights rather than their lasers.

One large OEM market for Laser Devices is supplying the lamp components (not sure about the lasers) of the Laser Light Module (LLM-01), manufactured by Oerlikon Contraves GmbH. The LLM-01 is issued by many of Europe's military forces (including the British).

Al

Paladin

Enlightened
I tried finding a red anodized light for the wife, and the Laser Devices Operative was the only one I could find. I had no reservations about buying it, because my Laser Devices OP-9 and Lastac have performed very well for the last couple of years. The grooved and knurled body provides the securest grip of any light I've ever handled.

Like anything, for some there will always be a cheaper alternative.

Paladin

gratuitous photo of OP-9 weapon mounted:
Captured_2006-6-13_00009.jpg

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to update and let others in the CPF community know....the "Operative" body fits Surefire E-series bezels just fine and even the top part of the bezel is interchangable with Surefires and should work with the mini-mag too. It looks cool on a KL4:cool:

It is EXTEMELY EASY to mod!

I just pulled the plastic reflector,( that is actually quite nice for a plastic one) used a Uni-Bit to enlarge the hole, dropped in an Mcr20s and a Seoul light engine that I made with an E-can and a penny as the LED heatsink for the Seoul.:laughing: If the back part of the reflector was just trimmed it would probably work great for an LED. I'm just partial to Dons reflectors:grin2:

Considering I basically got it for free with the purchase of an E2e, I am VERY happy with it...after modding.:grin2:

The tailcap is not removable and apperas to have a "kroll" type switch?? and the rubber button sticks out just far enought to NOT allow tailstanding:shakehead

Anyway, If you can find one cheap, I feel it is a nice host for a cheap Surefire E-series compatible light:wave: