Who needs a lantern with one of these around!

Wylie

Enlightened
fc5373d5.jpg

Laser Illuminated Fishing Rod built by yours truly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The crazy thing is this picture looks over exposed but it's not. The picture was taken with a digital camera. That's just the way these things look and this is one of the best pictures I have taken of the laser fishing rods while they have been lit yet. They are kind of hard to focus the camera on and really strange looking, all sparkly with little red dots dancing all over the place inside the rods. Some people are really captivated by the way these fishing rods look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Now that it is posted on the net it doesn't show that the tip is lit as well as it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif The light moves inside the fishing rod when the tip of the rod is moved even the slightest little bit I mean they extremely sensitive. Over 48 hours of continuously illumination is possible with two AAA alkaline batteries,rechargeables are safe as well. Okay I'm done my showing off now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should get a video of it in motion if you don't already have for your website demonstrating it's "light show".

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks Rothrandir /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IsaacHayes,
I do have video of a couple of different rods on my website now on the video page. At ten frames a second they seem to loose a lot though. It seems no matter what type of photography I do or have done I just cannot catch the real image of these fishing rods. That spakly thing is impossible to get on film. They are honestly something that has to be seen in person to get the full effect. I know this sounds like some cheap commercial but it is the truth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Wylie,

I guess we will just have to drop by and have a look... Do you have the beer and burgers?

Nice.

Tom

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I know what you mean, a similar effect to what you'd get if you shone a laser pointer (red) into the case of a diffused 5mm LED? Which I do, just because of that cool sparkling effect. It's near impossible to describe isn't it?

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Speaking of that glittery, sparkle that lasers seem to exhibit, I've seen spectacular results while playing with my cheapie pointers. < $4 from ebay. If you shine them through semi-translucent materials such as glycerine soap (sort of clear) and through certain brands of stick deodorant, you will see many widespread glittering sparkles, I believe which is caused by the effect of interference of a coherent source of light. I have a laboratory grade gas lamp (highly monochromatic) from Fisher Scientific from the seventies which although not a laser, exhibits this very same effect. The gas inside the lamp is Argon & Helium, which has this very narrow band peak emission in the "Blue" region of the visible spectrum. It's very hard to focus even you own eyes upon it, let alone a camera lens. There is a coating on the lamp itself (internal) that shields from UV emissions which are apparently a byproduct of this gaseous mixture.

Ed.

Illuminated

Enlightened
Very cool Wylie,

Now if you can just develope a matching illuminated crankbait lure to match...

I know that some fish just strike out of sheer curiosity, as well as in defense of their territory. Illuminated lures have ther applications, too.

John

Wylie

Enlightened
Silver Fox,
Most of the time I have a bunch of fish in the freezer but with over 3500 members I would be little afraid of putting my foot in my mouth and wouldn't know how many kegs to get.:D

Zelandeth
Okay so some of us do know what that sparkling effect looks like. I have one buddy that calls it strawberry soda. I don't know where he gets his strawberry soda from but I am sure it would be a flashaholic favorite if he would share his source with me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LEDmodMan,
Price reduction has been a goal of mine for the past couple of years. I have had a very hard time competing with overseas manufacturers of fishing rods and have had one completely incompetent unethical manufacturer fall victim to my scrutinizing eye. That's the good one that would be to your right by the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif This outfit cost me almost a whole year only to find that they were liars and thieves but that is just the way things go sometimes with new products. This manufacturer is in the process of paying a very heavy price for their conduct at this time and I just hope they are still in business for me to get a piece of them as well a little ways down the road.
I am working with another manufacturer of fishing products at this time and with any luck they will be able to manufacturer the laser fishing rods at more favorable pricing for the masses. Here's a link for you http://www.taylorsports.com/caltackle.htm

E=MC
You got it! That is the perfect way to explain that sparkling dotted effect. The only thing that is really different with the laser fishing rods is that it is in a cylinder and as you turn the cylinder one direction that sparkling effect turn the opposite direction the cylinder is being turned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Illuminated,
It's funny you brought that up. With all the playing around er er testing I have done with lasers I found that many different types of fish would follow and or strike out at a laser beam or dot when it was shined into a fish tank. I started to look into developing a lure only to find that someone had beaten me to the punch. From what the inventor has told me the lures are very productive although they are a little heavier than most of your production lures out on the market now. They are a little high priced as well but from my research they should be well worth the investment. I have tried to find his website again so I could set up a link here but haven't been able to find it as of yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Thanks guys,
I've been a little busy so I did fall a behind on this post.

Illuminated

Enlightened
Wylie,

I can't remember whether or not I' ever seen a battery powered one, but I do recall having seen some that use mini chemical sticks inserted into the lure.

Thanks - John

Wylie

Enlightened
Oh yeah there are a few different battery powered lures out on the market although I haven't seen the one you have mentioned useing the chem sticks.
One of the battery powered lures did very well in its first year and the inventor was not able to keep up with demand. In his efforts to keep up he as well got messed up with a terrible manufacturer. The form function of this guys lure could be improved a little I would say but then there is retooling and manufacturing cost to deal with at the same time as well if he were to improve his product.
Here's a link to his website.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Wylie,
Thanks for the links. I read about your mess on your website, that's really too bad. So sad to see that there are so many people out there that are willing to try anything to make a buck at someone else's expense. I'll keep an eye out for your rods, I would really like to have one, and I know some other who would too. That glojig is pretty cool. I am guessing they use LEDs. Maybe I could rig my own up, as it doesn't look like they sell these over the 'net anywhere, just the storefront retailers.

PS - I see you are featured in a picture on one of these websites... nice fish! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
You know I haven't talked with the owner of the Glojig company for a while now. The last I knew his product was held up from being sold because of arbitration. This would be because of the same manufacturer that I got messed up with.
Building a water tight LED lure could be a bit of a trick. I'm not even going to try that one and yes you are right they use the blinking LEDs.
Oh that d*mn picture is going to haunt me forever. That trout (lightening trout) is a high breed that has resulted in breeding the lighter colored rainbows with each other over a long period of time. Similar to what they did with the Tilapia overseas because they sold in stores better with the lighter colors. The lightening trout are the best eating fish I have ever had. I smoke on the grill and they kick all over smoked salmon.
The picture was a result of me taking myself fishing for my birthday and drinking too many beers while fishing. I went up to the tackle shop and had it taken as a goof and then they went and posted it on the internet. It isn't all that big a fish but it tasted good. Thanks LEDmodMan.

Oh you know you mentioned catfish earlier and that is the funniest. Everybody including well known fishing products manufacturers think night fishing is catfish fishing. No way, just a couple of other fish that stalk pray at night would be sea bass, walleye, bluegill, crappie, shark, muskie, pike, large mouth bass, sturgeon, trout, sea trout and this is just to name a few.