Elite Flashlights - The Best LED Flashlights, Chargers and Batteries
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Storage

Default Battery Storage

I know most of the members here use rechargeables of some sort but for back up batteries such as primaries what do you keep them in, do you guys leave them in the package or take them out and put them in a container. For all my lights i use rcr's, and lsd's. I take my batts out and put them in Flambeu small lure containers, so this way i dont have battery packages taking up room and its easy to inventory as well. Pics of what you guys use are welcome, everyone likes to see pics.

These are not the rest of the batts just wanted to take pics for now.

Default Re: Battery Storage

Right now I have a small plastic organizing tray/basket that I keep the AAs in. For the AAAs, I have them in large pill bottles which are then placed in the basket. I'm not happy with it, but it does not take up a lot of space.

I have a similar setup for my rechargeable AA and AAA cells, but I actually have storage cases for them, which I then put in a larger organizing tray/basket. I recently acquired some more rechargeables, so I need to change things around again.

Here's my rechargeable setup until I come up with something better:

It still looks good man......at least you have all your batts in one tidy place. Flambeau makes a bigger case which i plan to get sometime this weekend so all my batts will be in one case.

I finally got the bigger case today......way better then the smaller units that i was using, now i have all my primaries in case.

Flashaholic

. . . and I thought I had got too many batteries . . .

Now I feel reassured.

Wulf

I dont think you can have too many...lol...comes in handy when bad weather hits and the power goes out.....i learned my lesson years ago when Katrina hit and we didnt have power for 2 weeks. The other two cases that are in the top pics will be filled with CR123's and the other will be lithium AA's and alkies.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Meterman View Post
    . . . and I thought I had got too many batteries . . .

Now I feel reassured.

Wulf
    I just counted my lose cells.

Primaries
    2 x PP3
    8 x D
    20 x C
    136 x AA Alkaline
    26 x AA Lithium
    125 x AAA
    38 x AAA Lithium
    4 x AAAA
    3 x CR2
    54 x CR123
    69 lithium coin cells

Rechargeable
    26 x AA
    16 x AAA
    11 x CR123
    6 x CR2
    7 misc sizes.

That's well over 500 cells. Think I'll be OK in a power cut ??

The Primaries and normal rechargeable I store in an Ammo case and the rechargeable lithiums I store in a plastic box in the fridge to prolong their life.
    Last edited by Jay R; 08-01-2008 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfreddajero View Post
    I finally got the bigger case today......way better then the smaller units that i was using, now i have all my primaries in case.

what is the model number of that case, looks close to what I need mine is too small so I have two cases instead.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

The best thing to do is go to your local store and see what they have in there fishing tackle section. Just make sure to get the ones with blue dividers that can be removed.

I have been buying Plano but the spacing and dividers are not suitable for AA/AAA cells. I think one store may carry it if I can remember the name they opened one in Broken Arrow a few years back some huge fishing store chain I think. I have never seen the flambeaux in stores here that I can remember.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Default Re: Battery storage

I finally got the bigger case today...
    Looks awesome. You probably shouldn't have button cells rattling around lose. They can short against each other and might go flat (or even leak) by the time you want to use them.
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

Aside from what others have said here, I use plastic tubes with screw tops that are sold to coin collectors for holding rolls of coins. The ones designed to hold a roll of nickels are perfect for the bulk storage of cr2016s and cr2032s. I also slip a piece of bicycle inner tube over each for a bit more protection.

Thanks for the tip TorchBoy fixing that problem now......

Alfreddajero, something I've been curious about... Your profile location says Virginia Beach (which is presumably in Virginia), your sig has a link to a Kentucky group, and you were apparently living somewhere on the Gulf Coast (Louisiana/Mississippi?) during Hurricane Katrina... What's the story?

Quote Originally Posted by TorchBoy View Post
    Looks awesome. You probably shouldn't have button cells rattling around lose. They can short against each other and might go flat (or even leak) by the time you want to use them.
    How should they be stored so that can't happen?

Flashaholic*

I used to store button cells inside a gameboy cartridge case using small pieces of blu-tack to hold the cells apart. A better idea would be some plastic tubing of the right diameter.

Katrina came all the way here as well......winds up there in mph knocking down power lines as well as tree branches everywhere.......i do some audio work for there paranormal team, they send me the audio and i clean it up. Its just a paranormal forum.

Flashaholic*

For now I store my batteries in tins and tubs:

The CR123As came from fenix store in Keep2Go tubes which is convenient for storage. Unused alkalines are left in the packaging, and spare rechargeables (trust me I have many more, but they are in lights and other devices) are stored in plastic snap cases.

I plan to get a toolbox to store all batteries and flashlight maintenance stuff e.g. o-rings, lube, lanyards.

Zipplet:

4 x AA/AAA Vapex plastic cases....?
    Someone's been shopping at component-shop, dead giveaway!

Nice pics man.......i like the idea of the tubes for the cr123's......

Take from the front of the queue.
    New/freshly charged to the back of the queue.

Flashaholic*

Niconical: I like your custom wood holder setup, good idea and neater than mine! And yes I have been shopping at CS, I also got my BC-900 from there. Good prices and some decent stuff. Do I see some li-ion/li-poly packs, possibly phone batteries?

alfreddajero: You can get those tubes seperate from Fenix-store if you like them, they even do multipacks of them. They are also completely watertight and almost indestructable.

Quote Originally Posted by zipplet View Post
    Do I see some li-ion/li-poly packs, possibly phone batteries?
    Erm, I don't actually know what a li-ion/li-poly pack is, so I don't suppose I have one. Nearest I can think you mean are the packs at the back right, they're 10xCR123A primaries from battery station, same as the dark blue cells in the rack first from the left.

Yes, they are mobile phone batteries at the front. I find that having to charge a mobile (and wait for it to finish if you want a full charge) is at the very least positioned in the top 10 on the "list of irritating and inconvenient things to have to do", so I have those spares and an older unused phone which takes the same battery on my charging table. Same deal as the the rest, one for charging goes to the table, fresh one goes in phone, never have to plug it in or wait.

Thanks man for letting me know that, might have to get a few indeed. Niconical, that is nice man.

Niconical-

I like your FIFO box -- First In, First Out. I've built a few for AA, AAA, C and D that we use all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Umbra View Post
    Niconical-

I like your FIFO box -- First In, First Out. I've built a few for AA, AAA, C and D that we use all the time.
    I like the idea too, and it reminds me of the days when heavy duty and super heavy duty cells were sold individually from gravity-powered battery dispensers in shops next to the cash register. I've seen similar devices for holding drink cans in fridges. Are battery version available these days? Sub_Umbra, have you posted about your ones?
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

Quote Originally Posted by TorchBoy View Post
    ...Sub_Umbra, have you posted about your ones?
    Yeah, but no pics. Up until now I've just put medium density foam (pre-drilled for the cells) into Tupperware boxes and just always take them out in sequence. I also did one for AA NiCDs for a nightclub's body mics. As before everything goes in and out in order, but with one small difference -- used cells are returned to their place button up and I condition them at home periodically. It's been a roaring succcess with the sound men.

The only problem with the FIFO boxes that I've built is that they are somewhat limited to how many cells may be rotated realistically. That's what I like about Niconical's solution -- I could build a roughly vertical rack that could be quite high and accomodate quite a few times more cells than my boxes will hold. I've been thinking about this FIFO box limitation for years and this is a great solution. In at the top...and out at the bottom. I love it. I have a few projects on the short list and then I'm going to do it.
    Last edited by Sub_Umbra; 08-05-2008 at 07:09 PM.

I finally combined my primary and rechargeable batteries into one common case.

It's a Stanley 23 Compartment organizer. Got it at Home Depot for $5.95.

Nice man, you might as well get another, and to let you know they seem to be cheaper at wallyworld and the spacing is adjustable as well.

does that have the cheaper hinges and snaps on it?
    I only get the ones with the free swinging hinges and snaps. They tend to outlast the cheaper designs for me. I wish plano would make a box the right dimension for AA batteries the compartment spacing is wrong on both of mine.

Nice man, you might as well get another, and to let you know they seem to be cheaper at wallyworld and the spacing is adjustable as well.
    They only sell Plano brand organizers at the wallyworld's here in Canada.
    The larger ones cost more than the Stanley one I got at HD.