help me on my 1st mod please

Metatron

Banned
hi lads need some advice here, what u see here was on old led lenser tactical light, ran on 3 C battery's. had a run time of 350 hrs on that led u see. i would like to change that led to a more powerful type, perhaps the type in a dereelight, keeping in mind i can only use C regulars or C Li ions. all ur help would be appreciated:)
cheers
steve
P1010236.jpg

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only option without having to find a new optic is to swap out the Luxeon for an SSC with a .030in thick copper spacer behind it.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Just swap the Luxeon for a Seoul P4(U or U2 bin), which is one of the current gen LEDs. Dereelight uses another one of these, the Cree XR-E.

You'll need a 0.030 in thick copper shim which is available at the sandwich shoppe.

Runtime should remain the same.

350 hour runtime is probably till the LED can't be seen glowing anymore.

Metatron

Banned
ok, so far so good, now hidden by the camera flash is a heat sink of aluminum, i imagine the new led needs a driver of sorts compattable with C li ions, anything else i should be aware of lads?

greenLED

Flashaholic
ok, so far so good, now hidden by the camera flash is a heat sink of aluminum, i imagine the new led needs a driver of sorts compattable with C li ions, anything else i should be aware of lads?
Yes, make sure you isolate the bottom of the replacement LED, or it'll short and go :poof:when you power the light again.

Metatron

Banned
just wondering lads if u could point me to an online store for these parts, i may get a better understanding as to whats possible and whats not.
cheers:)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Don't use C Li-ions, you will blow the LED and driver.

If you want to use C Li-ions, you'll need a buck driver that accepts 8.4v minimal(like one of these).

Here's the Seoul P4 U bin and here's the shim. DX is slow with shipping though. Sandwich Shoppe also has the LEDs and you can also check the Marketplace.

Metatron

Banned
Don't use C Li-ions, you will blow the LED and driver.

If you want to use C Li-ions, you'll need a buck driver that accepts 8.4v minimal(like one of these).

Here's the Seoul P4 U bin and here's the shim. DX is slow with shipping though. Sandwich Shoppe also has the LEDs and you can also check the Marketplace.
cheers for that mate, now that led i can mount on a heatsink and have it driven directly using regular C cells X3? or do i still need a driver of sorts?

wechnivag

Newly Enlightened
Did your Led Lenser have the quick focus mechanism? What model was it?

If the original led (luxeon) came on a star, it is an even simpler job to swap it out with this emitter, no shimming and electrical isolation of heatsink required.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1445

Any beamshots from the original light?

Metatron

Banned
Did your Led Lenser have the quick focus mechanism? What model was it?

If the original led (luxeon) came on a star, it is an even simpler job to swap it out with this emitter, no shimming and electrical isolation of heatsink required.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1445

Any beamshots from the original light?
i am sorry, no beamshots, mainly because it was such a poor beam, i cant seem to find the model type any more, its a large tactical, uses 3xC's. wasnt fucusable, led was mounted with thermal gunk directly to the heatsink, negative actually attached to heatsink by a mini screw. positive to the driver. above the led is the optics, a clear rubber type of compound that encased the led, may heave to watch the heat output with that.