Need some suggestions

Ecko

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to get a light that's all flood with no hot spot. I would like to keep it under $60 if that's possible.

curlyfry562

Enlightened

Ecko

Newly Enlightened
I want to use it for work so headlamp is out of the question and I would perfer A or AA. Also $120 is way to much for a worklight, I would be pissed if I lost it.

aussiebob

Enlightened
If you want AA, a fenix L1D or L2D would be good, just put a diffuser on it and your good to go.
Will be in your price range too!
:)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Shiningbeam RC-N3-Q5. Its about 80-100L with 2AAs. With OLD 1700 mAh NIMH cells I get 3.5 hours per charge. It should run for around 4++ hours with higher capacity cells. With RCR123s its around 140-150L. $25 shipped from shiningbeam (forum sponsor), with "cpfuser" coupon code. Stock up on high capacity NiMH cells if you are using the light daily. If its more of a periodic use or glovebox emergency light go for LSD cells or eneloops. Heck... it runs very well off standard Alkalines too.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202569

You can DIY a diffuser cap from a water bottle or 35mm film canister for a GREAT floody output. I use this light around the house with the diffuser and its a very nice torch.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202968

Last edited:

Zenster

Enlightened
If you want AA, a fenix L1D or L2D would be good, just put a diffuser on it and your good to go.
Will be in your price range too!
:)

Yes, this is most to the point of the original post.
The gentleman wants NO hotspot, and even floody lights such as the M60F drop-in have a sort of hot spot.

The ONLY way to get a pure flood, no hot spot beam, is to diffuse.
And once you decide to diffuse, the light doesn't matter too much other than raw lumens.

The L2D with any kind of diffuser material over it would be a great light, and should be plenty bright if the diffuser isn't too opaque.

When the OP get's rich, I'd have him look closely at a Surefire E1B with the Surefire F04 diffuser cap on it. The two together would cost probably around $125, but it would be a great combo.
The F04 stays on nice and tight when you use it, but it can be easily slipped off for when you want to use the E1B as a thrower (and it's a good one). But with the diffuser on, you cannot detect any hot spot in the beam, and it lights up a large area very nicely.

My .02

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The zebralamp h50-q5 accepts AA batteries. and is all flood

I want to use it for work so headlamp is out of the question and I would perfer A or AA. Also $120 is way to much for a worklight, I would be pissed if I lost it.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
AA or AAA right? I haven't seen an A battery in person before.

What kind of work? Wouldn't a headlamp make it easier. You can have both hands open instead of one hand holding the light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Zebralight H50. Think of it as an angled head light, not a headlamp. It comes right off the band to be used as a regular light.

Ecko

Newly Enlightened
I do maintenance in a residential building so walking around with a headlamp on isn't going to happen. Plus sometimes I need to stick the light into a place where my big head will most certainly not fit.

As for the Shiningbeam RC-N3-Q5, I already have it and it's what I'm currently using for my work light.

I just wanted to know if there was a light out there that was all flood with no hot spot.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can clip the Zebralight to a shirt pocket or a belt.

It's pretty much an angle flood light with an adjustable strap made for it for use as a headlamp. It has a sleeve with a clip so you can use it as a angle lamp clipped to what ever.

You can get a normal light and remove the reflector. That removes the hotspot so all you have is a smooth even spill.

GregWormald

Enlightened
Your best bet is to find the light size, shape, power, features that you want and then add a diffuser. They are very easy to make, cheap, and will turn any light into a 'floody'.
Greg

shakeylegs

Enlightened
I use the zebra H50 almost every day and I have never used it as a headlamp. When not in my pocket, it's clipped in the V of my shirt or jacket - hands free for tasking. It's the floodiest!