Do you feel obligated to surfing CPF?

• Nope

Votes: 58 77.3%
  • Yep

Votes: 17 22.7%

• Total voters

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
I just was surfing around the forums and I was noticing a few members with high post counts and how frequently the posts of those members appeared. I thought- "I wonder if the frequent visitation to the boards is done more out of the spirit of obligation than possibly just personal interest."
I thought it might be an interesting topic to receive some feedback on so I posted this poll.
For clarification, I would define feeling obligated as the inclination that you SHOULD be surfing CPF either to help others with their decisions and problems rather than simply WANTING to for personal amusement and out of boredom.
A good indicator of feeling obligated would in my opinion be a guilty feeling for not being there to help out in problems and posts as opposed to simply feeling you missed out.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitely spend (too) much time surfing CPF. But never from a sense of obligation. Usually it's addiction/ obsessive compulsion. :D

jerry i h

Enlightened
Hmmm...I view CPF, along with several other BBS that I am regularly connected to, as a give-and-take affair. If you get info of value, then it is your obligation to give back at least as much as you have received. In my case, you can judge how much valuable info I got from CPF by how much I add to CPF on that particular time period.
In any event, good question.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd think the only people that would be checking the "obligated" option would be the mods or those related with the manufacturing and/or selling of CPF related products (to provide info, support, and promotion.) For me, I surf and post on CPF because of interest and compulsion. I'm actually tired, right now, and want to shower and watch TV (it's already on -- the X-Games), but I can't keep myself from skimming through the new posts.

Mostly

Newly Enlightened
Answered "yep" but really mean "sorta." Once I post in a thread, I feel obligated to keep it going, to keep participating, to keep checking back to see if anyone responded to me or asked me anything. I have other things I should be doing (like sleep!) but before I can take a break, I have to check every thread I've posted in...

Oh cr@p! I just realized I've started to post in this thread... now there'll be yet another thread I feel obligated to keep visiting! Do I submit reply or not...?

Well, +1 for addiction/obsession/compulsion as well as obligation! :) :crazy:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
As a true flashaholic I visit this site daily just because it never ceases to bring me pleasure. I honestly can and always do find something interesting to read or another product to buy with each visit to CPF.

If a person truly enjoys lights or any light related topic I find it hard to believe that they would ever get bored here. The best part is that there is a learning curve and the more I learn the more threads I can better understand and enjoy.....it just never stops.

When I first started I could read for hours on how to make a 5mm LED work in a Solitaire. I slowly learned of higher end stuff and was able to follow much more complicated threads. This process took me years and I enjoyed all of it and still do to this day. Yes I do believe in loyalty however loyalty comes from years of CPF giving me much fun. I do not feel really obligated to attend here as much as I feel excited to continue learning.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I feel obsessive/obligated/addicted to CPF.:D It is such a great forum.
BTW, I accidentally voted "Nope".

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, though I accidentally voted Nope as well :duh2: .
There are too many KD/DX guys out there spewing bad advice :thumbsdow .
Guys who recommend Malkoff over Dereelight for throw :confused: .
Such n00bs need to be corrected.

Last edited:

Greta

Flashaholic
Yes, though I accidentally voted Nope as well :duh2: .
There are too many KD/DX guys out there spewing bad advice :thumbsdow .
Guys who recommend Malkoff over Dereelight for throw :confused: .
Such n00bs need to be corrected.
Easy there big fella... you're bordering on some flaming and baiting there. Let's not go there... m'k? :tsk:

Fulgeo

Enlightened
Really a hard question to answer. In my case when I was just starting out I had little but questions to contribute. For the most part I just read, compiled and analyzed the information. I was in the shadows reading a bit before I joined. When I put together a few mod I started contributing a bit based on what I had learned. Now I have put together about 20+ mods in about 9 months. I am able to contribute more because I have more to contribute. Perhaps this question is for the CPFer that has been here for multiple years. Even some of the demigods of the CPF ask a question or give a shout out for help from time to time. Anyway just wanted to contribute that there was an evolution process to becoming a CPFer. I really feel that the concept of "good will" on this forums is much better than the general public. Happy Mods.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a true flashaholic I visit this site daily just because it never ceases to bring me pleasure. I honestly can and always do find something interesting to read or another product to buy with each visit to CPF.

If a person truly enjoys lights or any light related topic I find it hard to believe that they would ever get bored here. The best part is that there is a learning curve and the more I learn the more threads I can better understand and enjoy.....it just never stops.

When I first started I could read for hours on how to make a 5mm LED work in a Solitaire. I slowly learned of higher end stuff and was able to follow much more complicated threads. This process took me years and I enjoyed all of it and still do to this day. Yes I do believe in loyalty however loyalty comes from years of CPF giving me much fun. I do not feel really obligated to attend here as much as I feel excited to continue learning.
+1 :thumbsup:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Not exactly, but if I miss a few days I sort of feel obligated to catch up. It's too easy to fall behind, so you better stay regular.

Geoff

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do you feel "obligated"

after all the years surfing the net & with all the forums I go on.

You can add them all up & they still want come close to CPF.

This forum just has everything you could ever want. (well minus the "server too busy" message 5x a day:poke: Or is it my silly naughty PC?):D

i love this place. :)

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking... we should have a group of musically inclined CPF members write (and also sing) a parody of "Addicted to Love" entitled "Addicted to Light". What do you think?

Yes,I'm addicted...