Anyone use Cree LR6 fixtures?

pipspeak

Enlightened
I didn't want to hijack the LR6-230V thread.

I'm looking to install some 6" cans in my house and was curious if anyone has any comments on using the Cree LR6 unit in them. From what I can gather from the spec sheet the useful light out of LR6 is not quite up to 50W halogen levels (my other preference) but is there really a noticeable difference between the LR6 (3400K) and regular halogen units? I'd be looking at 6-8 foot spacing in the ceilings.

I'm also wondering if there are any other LED competitors to the LR6 out there worth considering (that are simple drop-ins for 6" cans). Thanks.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't the LR6 put out the front around 650lm? A 50W halogen might have that much at the bulb, but not all the light makes it out the front.

They also cost $120 per, if you didn't know.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen one in a local Lamps Plus. See if you have one in your area. I was very impressed with the output and CRI. The put off was the price tag but that's likely to come down. I think I've seen them for less than $100 online somewhere. I also looked at alternatives to the LR6 and there doesn't seem to be one. At least the LR6 is owned by Cree, a well respected name.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
50W halogen dichroic dumps heat into ceiling void as well, aluminised (GU10 base 230V in Euroland) reflect heat same way as light.

At 12W LR6 is generating significantly less heat than a halogen, some might comment on significantly less light as well.....

About 38W less.

The thing is that Halogens like high heat and LED's don't. You want the LR6's heatsink in moving air to keep the thing cool and happy. Otherwise the output and lifetime will drop.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Something to consider, the LR6 is designed for commercial buildings with vented ceilings, might overheat in your house.

There's a version rated for residential use, both IC and non-IC cans, so I'm sure that's not a problem and I doubt they generate nearly as much heat as a halogen or other incan bulb anyway. Worth looking into however.

I'll check out my local lamps plus... price is an issue but I will be able to get them through a contractor friend so that'll save at least a bit of money. I also only plan to use them in a handful of cans, not the whole house.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a version rated for residential use, both IC and non-IC cans, so I'm sure that's not a problem and I doubt they generate nearly as much heat as a halogen or other incan bulb anyway. Worth looking into however.

I'll check out my local lamps plus... price is an issue but I will be able to get them through a contractor friend so that'll save at least a bit of money. I also only plan to use them in a handful of cans, not the whole house.

If you can mount them in IC housings, they must be thermally pretty robust.

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
The heat issue is no problem for the house.. that's not at all what I meant. I was talking about the LEDs as Luke pointed out.

What's different about the residential version? How does it remove more heat? I can see the use for commercial buildings, but these can lights for residential don't make much sense to me. If you're spending lots of money to go with LEDs you must be concerned about longevity and efficiency, yet LLS created a light fixture that is inherently insulated (at least in a home), compromising both.

With no airflow stuck up in the ceiling, I'm just not sure how you could possibly remove the heat. Unless the residential version includes a fan.

Juctuc

Newly Enlightened
it is kind of easy to make LED-fixture to general lightning, just add more LEDs.But like we all know, the heat is the problem then. I never even see this LR6 in action, but i might say, that if the heat is not going away from the fixture it will stay in the fixture.

One thing i have to say. Those about 650lm are from the fixture, and that is a lot. Philips insaver 13w(17w) with cfl is same kind of fixture, and the claimed lumens are 900lm, but the fixturelumens are not 900lm.

http://www.netl.doe.gov/ssl/comm_testing.htm There is lots of testing, and also these fixturelumens. It was kind of sad to read those. Manufacturers are usually overrated the lumenoutput, or at least tell the "wrong" lumens. But..halogen and CFL- manufacturers are doing the same. Halogen suppose to be about 350lm-400lm(12V20w) but fixturelumens are 200lm. Little bit out of the original issue, but anyway....

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to install some 6" cans in my house

So, you are actually trying to to 'decrease' the resell value of your home?
{smirky look}

Chalk me up in the category of right brained people who think that cans/recessed lighting is one of the worst inventions of western architecture.

Just my opinion for what it's worth, but hang a generic track, and use some classy R30/PAR30 compatible pendants or reflectors using 3500-4100k CFLs (light is stunning), or 3x3 Cree retrofits. The light will be glorious, and you can actually point it where you want.

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Yes I agree, cans are a horrible invention. The inefficiencies from light not being able to escape the can, especially from incans or CFLs that aren't directed.. is just disgusting.

R33E8

Newly Enlightened
Yes I agree, cans are a horrible invention. The inefficiencies from light not being able to escape the can, especially from incans or CFLs that aren't directed.. is just disgusting.

I guess I'm the only one that sees that as a good thing? You can use less LEDs to get the same amount of light:twothumbs... Does anyone know how many lumens cans typically put out?

pipspeak

Enlightened
:crackup:

That's why I'm only planning on a few... all will be in areas with lower than usual clearance, where directional lighting is not critical or where anything hanging off the ceiling will just look out of place.

I agree that cans are overused and are not great for general lighting but in some cases recessing a light makes sense IMO.

gnarly

Newly Enlightened
The LR6 is actually great for light escaping the can... apparently it has one of the best luminaire efficiencies out there because the light does actually all get out. I've got 6 around my place, and I really like the wide light throw and the hi-tech look of a flat glowing disc which is recessed just the right amount in the ceiling.

I do agree generic 6" R30 incandescent can lighting is ugly - but stick an LR6 in there and you'll be converted... hopefully?

techmonger

Newly Enlightened
I currently have 4 LR6 lights, 2 warm white and 2 bright white. Love them both. You can get them for about $85 now and with energy savings combined with 20years or more run time makes it well worth the money for me. Also the quality and quantity of light is great.

ponygt65

Enlightened
We have sold a couple of the retrofits yes. The Juno and Halo versions sell better for us though.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can look up the information in our catalogs for you.

They are very nice units for sure. ONe thing to consider, dependent on if you have an inspector, it may not pass under Title 24 because the 'incandescent' socket is still utilized.

BTW - The problem with recessed cans is not the can themselves. It's that they are incorrectly/over spec'd. Just like 90% of the 'bad rap' luminaires out there. If Contractors/Electricians would take the time to learn they wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

TBA

Newly Enlightened
Actually the Cree LR6 (warm white 2700K) and the Cree LR6C (cool white 3500K) are both available with a Calif Title 24 compliant GU24 base.
The LR6 has the highest CRI (93) of all the retrofits currently available.
Online info at a company located in Colorado called Polar Ray.

ponygt65

Enlightened
Actually the Cree LR6 (warm white 2700K) and the Cree LR6C (cool white 3500K) are both available with a Calif Title 24 compliant GU24 base.
The LR6 has the highest CRI (93) of all the retrofits currently available.
Online info at a company located in Colorado called Polar Ray.
THanks.....I forgot about the GU24 option. :sssh:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember seeing one with a missing lens at a LightBulbsECT showroom a few months back so in case anyone was interested, I'd post my camera phone picture. They seem have mixed colored SMD leds with white XR-Es

04-09-09_1345.jpg

Warm White

Cool White