Foxfury Rook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: Anyone use Cree LR6 fixtures?

  1. #31
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boulder CO
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Anyone use Cree LR6 fixtures?

    I just thought I would chime in about the new Cree CR6 as compared to the Cree LR6. My name is Bryan Alu and my company polar-Ray.com , based in Boulder Colorado. As one of Cree's largest dealers, I have direct access to the latest info about Cree products.

    For starters, just a minor correction to jginnane's post up above. The post says he/she purchased 4 CR6C down lights. I am sure that he/she meant to say that he/she purchased 4 LR6C down lights. The CR6 will not be available until sometime later this year. Cree won't pin down a date yet and there are only a handful of prototypes floating around that are being shown to dealers at this stage of the game.

    There are some salient differences between the current LR6 series and the upcoming CR6. If you love the 3500K LR6C (C designates "cool") then you will be disappointed to learn that the CR6 will only be available in 2700K when it comes out and I've been told that there is no plan to add a 3500K at this time. As was announced by Cree the CR6 will have a retail price of around $60. It will be available at certain retail outlets ... so if you buy it locally add $4 or so for sales tax. That compares to the current online price of $79.95 with free shipping and no tax ( polar-ray.com) for the LR6 and LR6C.

    To make the new CR6 less expensive Cree removed some performance and options when compared to the LR6 . Due to a much smaller heat sink, the CR6 is rated to last 30k hours as compared to the 50K hour LR6. The CR6 will not be as bright either. It is rated at 575 lumens vs 650 for the LR6. That's probably going to mean Cree will make a claim that it is just shy of a 60W incandescent as compared to the current claim of 65W for the LR6 which I think is at least 10% on the conservative side. No big deal but, in spite of its reduced brightness the CR6 is a 12W light and Cree recently reduced the LR6 spec down to 10.5W. The LR6 has optional trim rings available and a really well designed eyeball model. These options are not going to be available for the CR6.

    Bottom line: The CR6 could be thought of as the CREE LITE ! It will be a nice addition to Cree's product line but the current LR6 or LR6C may well be worth the $16 dollar premium ... and it's available today. On the bright side, Cree has just released a 1000 lumen 6' recessed light called the DR1000. We should have them in stock in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to light it up. The increased lumens will solve some issues related to ceiling heights over 10 feet.

  2. #32

    Default Re: Anyone use Cree LR6 fixtures?

    Quote Originally Posted by TBA View Post
    ... For starters, just a minor correction to jginnane's post up above. The post says he/she purchased 4 CR6C down lights. I am sure that he/she meant to say that he/she purchased 4 LR6C down lights.
    Hi Bryan -- Yes, you're right. A slip of the mental tongue. ;p

    Since this earlier post I went back and got another 3 LR6 downlights (2700K) for the bathroom, to experience the color temperature difference. These (3 X 11 watts) replaced 225watts in special damp housing cans for the bathroom; since the Crees are already rated for damp locations, I'll be interested in seeing if there's moisture/corrosion issues. The bathroom is greenboard and marble, and has a smallish ceiling vent (40cfm).

    Again, the Crees seemed noticeably brighter than the bulbs they replaced. The 2700K is kind to fleshtones, which is what you want in a bathroom. Again, these attach to a dimmer, but as in the kitchen we don't need the dimming most of the time.


    Quote Originally Posted by TBA View Post
    (LR6 vs CR6) If you love the 3500K LR6C (C designates "cool") then you will be disappointed to learn that the CR6 will only be available in 2700K when it comes out and I've been told that there is no plan to add a 3500K at this time.
    I'm happy with the 3500K in the kitchen because it's more efficient. We still have halogens under the cabinets, and the contrast in color with the Crees is noticeable but pleasant. Now that I have hands-on with the 2700K lights, I'd have no problem using them anywhere in the house.

    Quote Originally Posted by TBA View Post
    To make the new CR6 less expensive Cree removed some performance and options when compared to the LR6 . Due to a much smaller heat sink, the CR6 is rated to last 30k hours as compared to the 50K hour LR6. The CR6 will not be as bright either. It is rated at 575 lumens vs 650 for the LR6... in spite of its reduced brightness the CR6 is a 12W light and Cree recently reduced the LR6 spec down to 10.5W.
    So: 60% rated life, increased energy use, reduced output, limited expansion. I'm trying to get my hand back far enough to pat myself on the back for not waiting.

    Also did a recalculation -- my electric bill is currently 17 cents/kwh, not ten cents. That puts payback on the heaviest-use rooms at under two years with Cree LR6es at current prices.

  3. #33
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: Anyone use Cree LR6 fixtures?

    I just got two of these to try them out and I was completely blown away! I guess for the price I should have been but I've learned not to set my expectations too high when it comes to this type of stuff.

    I got the 2700K version and it easily matches my regular incan recessed lights. ...actually I like the CR6 light output/color better than the incans which says a lot about these. In addition to the color being better, the coverage of the light is nice and smooth whereas the beam from my other recessed lights is noticeable when next to a wall.

    The only other LED light I have to compare it to is the Philips AmbientLED PAR38. In all honesty, there is no comparison if you're looking for a true flood-style recessed light. I guess the Philips is a flood but has a noticeable spot that is much tighter than the regular incan beams.

    I haven't tried the LR6 with a dimmer switch...will do that tomorrow and report back.

  4. #34

    Default Re: Anyone use Cree LR6 fixtures?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsegelk View Post
    I just got two of these to try them out and I was completely blown away! I guess for the price I should have been but I've learned not to set my expectations too high when it comes to this type of stuff.

    I got the 2700K version and it easily matches my regular incan recessed lights. ...actually I like the CR6 light output/color better than the incans which says a lot about these. In addition to the color being better, the coverage of the light is nice and smooth whereas the beam from my other recessed lights is noticeable when next to a wall.

    The only other LED light I have to compare it to is the Philips AmbientLED PAR38. In all honesty, there is no comparison if you're looking for a true flood-style recessed light. I guess the Philips is a flood but has a noticeable spot that is much tighter than the regular incan beams.

    I haven't tried the LR6 with a dimmer switch...will do that tomorrow and report back.
    Want to take a couple of photos for comparison purposes? I'm going to be installing / retrofitting when I buy the next house (next week, fingers crossed).

  5. #35
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: Anyone use Cree LR6 fixtures?

    Sure...I'll try to take some this afternoon and hopefully the pics will show what I'm seeing. As I mentioned, this was my second LED recessed light purchase and my thought was that I would buy several different ones to find the best one. I'm confident that I can stop looking after buying the LR6. The only other option I can think of at this point is the CR6 but as mentioned previously, the cost/feature tradeoff may not be worth it to me.

  6. #36
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: Anyone use Cree LR6 fixtures?

    Here are some pics...we just moved in so the place is a wreck (my wife wanted me to say that)...

    First up, the original 65W incan standard recessed flood:


    Here's the Cree LR6 replacing it (NOTE: this shot didn't turn out so it doesn't do the LR6 justice...the camera was in auto mode and must have changed the exposure):



    In the office, the Cree LR6 is on the left with the standard 64W incan on the right:



    Philips AmbientLED Par38 on left, Cree LR6 on right (notice the hot spot of the Philips):



    Regular 65W incan on left, Philips AmbientLED Par38 on right:


    Philips Par38 on upper left, Cree LR6 in middle, and regular 65W incan on upper right:
    Last edited by gsegelk; 06-17-2010 at 09:08 PM.

  7. #37
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: Anyone use Cree LR6 fixtures?

    In my previous post, the 3rd pic down really does a good job at showing how the Cree LR6 compares with the 65W incan. It's nice and smooth and noticeably brighter.

    Here are some more shots:

    The Cree LR6 is over the kitchen sink...the rest of the recessed lights are 65W incans and the pendants are LV (the wire hanging from the ceiling is speaker wire for the yet-to-be-installed in ceiling speakers):


    Ditto:

  8. #38

    Default Re: Anyone use Cree LR6 fixtures?

    That's AWESOME! Thank you for the photos- that shows they're not only really well matched- but if you didn't tell me I couldn't tell the difference.

    And the best thing about that? Neither can anyone else. So they go IN

  9. #39

    Default Re: Anyone use Cree LR6 fixtures?

    actually I like the CR6 light output/color better than the incans which says a lot about these.
    Which says a lot of Cree's light engine technology, which is very, very good. Once you get the right mix of warm light with LED(s) it is preferable over standard incan/halogen because with LED you can get the warmth without the excessive green/yellow.

    The LR6 still presents some cost issues -vs- plug in CFLs for large installations (just had to deal with this and the LR6 lost), but the neat thing is how well the LR6 fits into residential installations.
    Last edited by blasterman; 06-20-2010 at 12:32 PM.

  10. #40
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: Anyone use Cree LR6 fixtures?

    Quote Originally Posted by purduephotog View Post
    That's AWESOME! Thank you for the photos- that shows they're not only really well matched- but if you didn't tell me I couldn't tell the difference.

    And the best thing about that? Neither can anyone else. So they go IN
    My thoughts exactly. Kinda funny actually...my mom is an interior decorator and when I told her I was putting in LED lights she thought I was crazy. I guess she's been trained to think LED light = ghostly white/blue. I brought her in and asked her to pick out the LED light and she couldn't. She was completely amazed!


    Quote Originally Posted by blasterman View Post
    The LR6 still presents some cost issues -vs- plug in CFLs for large installations (just had to deal with this and the LR6 lost), but the neat thing is how well the LR6 fits into residential installations.
    This is true...the CR6's due out next month will close the gap but only by a little. They'll still be around $50 from what I understand. I'm planning to get 6 of those to replace the rest of the recessed lighting in the kitchen b/c they can dim to 5% which I like. I just love the thought of knowing that I'll be running all 6 lights at the cost of a single one of the original incan's. Pretty cool.

    Instead of getting CFL's, I'm going to slowly transition to the LR6's and/or CR6's. I'm sure I have the wrong perception about the CFL's but the ones I have (they're old) are slow to get to full brightness and are cool compared to incans.

  11. #41
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Anyone use Cree LR6 fixtures?

    We installed 17 LR6s in a home remodel in 2009. We could not be more pleased with the quality and intensity of the light. We installed fewer than the total recommended number of lights per square foot and found that the light is more than adequate for household activities exceeding our expectations. None of our friends or visitors have guessed that the lights were low energy LEDs since the color temperatures are not the bright white glare of many other LED products. We have both of the The only issue we have is not with the lights but with our choice of dimmer switch. The lights dim to an estimated 50% reliably then at lower levels the dimming is not linear/smooth and sometimes the lights blink out and then on again when dimmed. We used the 3500k lamps in the kitchen which seemed brighter in the show rooms and the 2700k in other areas. The 3500K lamps are still "warm" enough to be a good match for the nearby 2700k lamps. The great photos posted in this thread give the appearance of a colder tone than our installation but we have many saturated colors in our rooms. We love the lamps and really appreciate that the prices continue to fall and the choices are expanding.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •