Best headlamp for conditions I run at night

unckybob

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. I had no ideas there were so many lamps out on the market. I'd really appreciate some help since I have no experience with headlamps.

I run in mountain trails at night. The trails have a lot of large stones. The stones can be like very large gravel and they are very pointed. I like to run at a good clip. Also, where I run not too far outside the city, so there is some backlight going on. Complicating everything there are small trees on either side of the trail. This means that there is some light on the trees, but the trees keep the light from off the trail. To compound things I can't see the poorly lit trail through the light reflecting off the trees.

I like to run at a good clip. I basically need to see about 10 to 20 feet ahead of me so I can navigate through the stones.

I think what I need is something with a wide angle, very bright. An external battery pack would be nice. With no batteries on my head, I won't have to worry about them bouncing off. I don't care how heavy it is. I carry a back pack full of water, so a little more weight doesn't matter.

If you can help me find a good lamp, you'll know that you kept a guy from hurting himself.

A guy that loves to run,
Bob

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
Hi! Could be you need a Petzl Ultra?
Here's a link to whats some consider the top of the line in headlamp$$$
From this you can scale down to what might be adequate. You've a tricky
situation with the city lights messing up your eyes dark adaptation.

http://en.petzl.com/ultra/range-ultra-belt.html

Last edited:

unckybob

Newly Enlightened
The Petzl looks like a real top of the line. The price is somewhat brutal, $500.

The Primus Race looks a lot more doable for $80.

This Primus unit looks to be one of the smallest lights. Apparently, from what I can glean from these threads, these tiny little headlamps can actually put out a lot of light.

unckybob

Newly Enlightened
I found a good review of the Primus Primelite Race here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/200140

As you can see from the pictures the beam is very focused. I can see that it is a very powerful light, rated at 140 lumens, but I need something much more wide angle. I need to see from 10 to 20 feet at the same time. So that means I need some range. Thanks for the suggestion though.

hopkins

Enlightened
I own a Petzl Myo Xp with the battery pack on the rear of the head band. They sell a version with a remote battery pack for inside a backpack or on the belt.
Petzl MYO Belt XP. $85 plus range
These Myo Xp's have a flip up/down diffusor for switching from wide to spot.
The new 2008 versions got the SSC LED in them so it should be more than bright
enough for running trails. CPF members have confirmed it is 2X brighter the
original version.

This link has pictures and video links of a french girl running around in the dark with it showing the wide to spot difference.

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=561&Critere=0

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
'08 model/release/version of the Petzl MyoBelt XP.

you can flip the diffuser up to get that broad beam that you're after and run it on HI or MED.

you're not out running for so long that you'd ever need to change the batteries during the course of a single run.

my two shekels.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not....

http://www.zebralight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=184

Lighter and cheaper! Bright enough(?), should be!

not sure a runner is going to get sufficient throw???

a trail runner doing 5mph is covering ~7.3 feet per second (best check my mental math - i'm gettin' old and make a lot of mistakes now). even 20' visibility gives very little time to make decisions w/o having to slow down and sometimes stop.

on some trails when i would UL backpack (fully loaded pack w/food, fuel, and water varied in wt. fr/10lb to 20lb, depending upon how long i might be out and about on a trek), and sometimes get moving a bit faster i would do up to 4.0 to 4.5 mph on some smoother level or slight slopes (down, NOT up!!). under these circumstances i wanted 30' visibility.

YMMV.

acourvil

Enlightened
How long are your runs? I run trails in the dark on a regular basis during the winter, and the Black Diamond Xenix IQ (with upgraded LED) works really well. A fresh set of bateries will last 1-1/2 hours or maybe a bit more.

Where are you located?

xcandrew

Newly Enlightened
A Princeton Tec Eos modified with a Seoul P4 U-bin star and a McR-18S reflector is perfect for running (and skiing) on trails at night. Mine is also modified to use external batteries (optionally) for long run times in the cold. Without the batteries in the head unit, the bounce is also less and the headstrap can be kept looser (not that an Eos with batteries in the head is bad). There is a really long thread that describes Eos mods here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/162784&page=8

I wouldn't recommend a stock Eos because the beam is annoyingly narrow to run with on dark trails. You have to constantly redirect the light. I haven't seen one yet, but the Eos II might be an option if you don't want to modify an Eos because it has a wider beam, but probably still has enough throw(?).

a trail runner doing 5mph is covering ~7.3 feet per second (best check my mental math - i'm gettin' old and make a lot of mistakes now). even 20' visibility gives very little time to make decisions w/o having to slow down and sometimes stop.

Yup, you calculated that right. I occassionally run double that speed or faster (<6:00 min/mile) on trails at night, and need a light with almost as much throw as a bike light or ski/orienteering light. The modified Eos has just enough light output and beam pattern for biking, but is cheap and lightweight compared the the ski/orienteering or bike headlamps. The beam pattern is why I haven't considered buying a Zebralight yet because the throw on the current models is clearly not enough for fast travel at night, my main use for headlamps.

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
half-watt : I think you've got it right, (again darn-it;)) having a beam light
up the path without waste on the side shrubs of the trail as the original poster
needs/requests could be the Myo Xp;s perfect function.
Hope he post a pic of his trail...!

(wish I was an early Petzl stockholder)
-j hopkins

Last edited:

BSBG

Enlightened
How long are your runs? I run trails in the dark on a regular basis during the winter, and the Black Diamond Xenix IQ (with upgraded LED) works really well. A fresh set of bateries will last 1-1/2 hours or maybe a bit more.

I agree - a Seoul P4 modded Zenix is a fine headlamp for about $40 and ten minutes of modding. On medium, mine will last a long time on E2 lithiums.

Last edited:

P220C

Newly Enlightened
I like my Princeton Tex Apex Pro for working around the house and whatnot.

I don't know if the low setting with the large center LED is going to give you enough distance, and I don't know if the high setting is going to give you enough run time.

You really are going to need someting in the Seoul P4/Cree range to get the runtime and throw you need I am afraid.

Good luck.

snwg00

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

Here some thoughts from a swedish orienteerer. The only thing that counts now in swedish orienteering is powerled headlamps. Swedish Mila http://www.mila.se/ has a new model with 6 Luxeon rebell and gives about 2000 lumen. All Lupine models are common and Petlz Ultra is a new competitor with a little bit lower prize. A friend of mine bought a Petzl Myo XP to his 10 years old son as a beginner lamp, but it has nothing to do for grown orienteerer.
It´s not so expensive with a brighter light if you calculate with having it for maby 10-20 years.

God luck

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to CPF unckybob and hold on to your wallet!

if price is no object... what you want is a HID Storm or ARC HID (both have helmet/headband attachments) with 8x 18650 battery pack. 6+ hours runtimes. or 4x 18650 pack for 3-4 hours runtimes.

stenlight would work too, but that's really for cavers. lower lumens req, much longer runtimes with much greater durabilities. folks don't want to hear this, but all the zebra type lights will be next to worthless for what you want to do.

got all three.... so this is first hand info... my biking setup uses HID storm on handlebars, ARC HID on helmet.

do some night time trail hiking on Turkey mountain with stenlight with no problems. but I'm not running. if I was moving faster..... I'd go with HID's.

HID's give the most lumens for power consumed. 18650 li-ion packs are mature and give super long runtimes.

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
Running increases the light requirements a lot. Think we should pay attention
to the Orienteers advise. They've got the experience of moving fast through the bushes.

cy

Flashaholic
unckybob.. what is your budget?

there's no substitute for raw lumens in low scatter light conditions.
sounds like your requirements are almost like night time mountain biking.

have yet to see any LED lights equal in output/throw of an HID. not saying there won't come a day... but have not seen it yet...

5kids

Newly Enlightened
Although I don't run, I own a modified P4 Princeton Tec Apex that I absolutely love and would suggest that you consider the Apex Extreme
PRIAPXEXT.jpg

With the remote battery pack, you won't have the battery pack on your head, and with 8AA's you'll have plenty of run time. If I needed to 'justify' a new headlight, I'd likely purchase this one even knowing I'd need to install the P4. Don't bother looking for specs on the Princeton Tec website, its way out dated.
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Princeton_Tec_APEX_Extreme.php#
Only $79.95 from brightguy!