string trimmer/weed whacker recommendations?

nobody

Newly Enlightened
I need it for lawn edging, some clearing of non-grassed areas and cutting down hundreds of small saplings (metal saw blade attachment?) in order to thin out the undergrowth in the woods immediately surrounding the yard. I've been looking at straight shaft commercial grade models by Stihl that use a real heavy gauge string but I know Shindaiwa and Echo make serious gear as well. Anyone have good - or bad - experiences with any of these, or others? I can only lay down no more than $500 according to The Budget Director. I just don't want to get "X" now and wish I had gotten "Y" later.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Researched and shopped and settled on a Husqvarna 4 cycle. No regrets after 3 years and lots of use (but good care). Trying to replace all my 2 cycles but don't think there's a real option for chainsaws (except electric).

nobody

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for reminding me BIGIRON, Husky is definitely another brand I wanted to check out. Didn't know that these things even came in 4 cycle. Is there an advantage to 4 cycle over 2 cycle (other than not having to always mix the fuel)?

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old whacker is on its last season so I have done some research and it looks like there is a lot of value in the ~$150 range of the Ryobi line. I found the one I am planning on grabbing at Home Depot, hoping for a fall closeout on them.

nobody

Newly Enlightened
My last whacker was a $50 Homelite from Lowe's. I got a ton of use out of it, 10+ years of lawn edging and in the last 2 years, trying to tame the woods as well. So now I have worn it out. So Thujone you're right about value in a fairly inexpensive unit provided that it packs the power to do what you need done.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the subject of weedwhackers: I've been looking for a 4-stroke 25cc engine for an experiment. The one I'd like is the Honda GX25, but Italian dealers charge about twice what American ones do, for reasons unknown.

I've been told there are cheap chinese clones, but I don't know what to look for. All weedwhackers I've seen in DIY stores so far are two-strokes.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
4cycle vs 2cycle. That's probably worth a thread all it's own.

The biggie to me is, of course, not having to mix fuel. Secondly, I believe the 4 is quieter, cleaner, torqueier (?!) and more durable. It is heavier and, generally, more expensive.

I have a Ryobi 4cycle (pre-MTD) that's provided great, trouble free service but is almost worn out, so I keep it for use as a spare.

Advice -- you get what you pay for. The average guy has no need for a $500 machine that will provide commercial level service and longevity. The $150 Ryobi might even be overkill......

Most gas trimmers are of "half-crank" construction -- the crank is supported only on one side of the connecting rod. The more expensive ones are full-crank, meaning there's a supporting bearing on each side on the con rod. You can tell easily -- if the pull start is on the very end of the engine, it's a full crank. If it's between the engine and the shaft, it's probably a half-crank.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I introduce the subject of leaf blowers into this conversation? I need to buy one, and haven't decided on battery or corded yet.

Last edited:

nobody

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again BIGIRON for the very welcome info!

greenlight: Key is max CFM (not MPH). Backpack = the only way to fly IMO, makes a crappy job FUN!

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I introduce the subject of leaf blowers into this conversation? I need to buy one, and haven't decided on battery or corded yet.
For high-power applications of this sort I'd say either gas or cord. You could probably use a LiFe pack with an electric motor and have decent power, but at the cost of miserable battery life.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've had good luck with a Ryobi. Still kicking after almost 10 years. This one did not have metal blade capabilities, but it does accept blower, edger, and cultivator attachments. The blower works okay on walks and decks, but won't move leaves in the yard very well. Never got the other attachments. As a trimmer it's been a champ.

Geoff

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the blade setup for my old Ryobi. Used it a couple of times, but it is really more of a novelty than a useable tool. A lawnmower, machete or pick-mattock hoe is way more effective if you're willing to sweat.

I'm not talking about serious brush-cutters in general, with which I have no experience.

edit - to indicate "blade setup" where I had "trimmer" in post

Last edited:

oronocova

Enlightened
Hello,

I have to agree with bigiron on the 4-cycle. I got a heck of a deal on a troy-bilt 4cycle, and man there is no going back for me. It is definitely quieter, smoother, and makes a lot more torque... plus you don't have to mix gas.

On the subject of using a blade, I find that just a blade doesn't do very good on actual weeds. Lowes sells a deal with 3 metal blades:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=7482-76807-4650&lpage=none

Weeds, paradise, locust saplings... this thing eats them all. If your saplings are too big, however, a solid blade will be better. If it is a mix then this thing is hard to beat IMO.

HTH
-Jon

nobody

Newly Enlightened
Cool, 4 cycle is sounding good. How's the weight on those vs 2 cycle... or how long at a time are you guys using it? Don't want it to be too big of a ball buster.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the most important things was said by Bigiron, (with good care). Not to overstate the obvious but no matter what U get care is most important in my book. Why run it wide open when half will do, cleaning, oil changes if needed and so on.

nobody

Newly Enlightened
I'm picky about regular maintenance --- of the good stuff. I never did anything to make my crappy old homelite come back every year, cause I always considered it to be disposable. But the darn thing keeps coming back anyway. I will see what's out there that DOESN'T use a half-shaft per big iron's suggestion.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just use a cheapy Craftsman, no tree trimming or anything like that but after 12 seasons or so the sucker just runs great. Can't see getting rid of it.

MicroE

Enlightened
I own an Echo string trimmer and an Echo backpack blower. The Echo's have been fabulous.
I purchased both of them from a local small engine dealer (Glen Rock Power). His prices were the same as Home Depot and the owner was chock full of good advice.
Whatever you get, I would go with a smaller dealer rather than a big box store.
YMMV

nobody

Newly Enlightened
Yep, I got the Echo 755 blower from a local small engine dealer and that thing rocks. The big box store didn't know jack. Thanks for the reminder MicroE. :)

DieselTech

Enlightened
I just went through this myself. I wound up with a Stihl FS90. It's something they call a 4 Mix engine. From what I understand, it's essentially a 4 cycle engine without the oiling system, so you still have to premix fuel. It's lighter than any of the true 4 strokes I tried, and has much more torque than my old 2 stroke. It's also got a two year warranty. Thus far, I've been very happy with it.