Is ontario GI machete any good?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Their Spec Plus knives are a good value. Solid, dependable, reasonably priced, no-frills models. A good choice, overall.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
I have the 18" machete and it does serve me well. I used it to chop a tree into logs for camping recently,

Picture413.jpg

I was expecting it to have all the dings because the wood was kinda hard, but the machete held up pretty well. Also BRKT company recently used the Ontario machete for their modded machete project, and it got good reviews.

Last edited:

Tooly

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much guys! :)

I'm new around, what is BRKT company? Do ya have a link that I can read the reviews?

Last edited:

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
BRKT is Bark River Knife & Tool, it is a high end knife company favored by bushcrafters and outdoorsman. Here is a link for their modified Ontario machete. Basically it is the 18" Ontario machete modified with shortened blade, convex edge, and a new handle. Although I would not recommend it for the price I've heard good reviews about it. I would recommend you though to get a regular Ontario machete and have the blade reprofiled to convex grind or just have it sharpened really sharp. Here is video link by one of the member from a blade forum, that regularly uses machete: Video

If ever you decide to get the machete, get the traditional not the economy.

Last edited:

Tooly

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alot!!!! :)
Now ya got me wanting a 12inch blade as well! :thumbsup:

Last edited: