Driving lights?

Danintex

Enlightened
OK so I have some rotten headlights on my Dodge Ram, and am looking for some LIGHT. I got a pair of the wally world kind, but haven't been too amazed by them. Does anyone recommend anything, or have experience with off-road lighting?
thanks,

BVH

Flashaholic
I'm going to experiment with a set of these on my Silverado. A lot of guys on DieselPlace truck forums have had very good luck with them. They're relatively cheap enough (as far as HID kits go) that if they fail early, it's not a big deal.

As testing has shown here on CPF, I'd guess they are performing at a 45-+ Watt OUTPUT level versus the 55 Watt rating (input rating) but thats still equal to about a 130 - 140 Watt Halogen bulb (x's 2 headlights).

://stores.ebay.com/Retro-Solutions-LLC

(add the Http)

Last edited:

Danintex

Enlightened
Hmm... those kits look great, but isn't performance greatly hampered by the stock headlight/reflector assembly? Seems like beating yourself in the head to put a great set of lamps in a poor reflector. Again, I'm new to this headlight stuff!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... those kits look great, but isn't performance greatly hampered by the stock headlight/reflector assembly? Seems like beating yourself in the head to put a great set of lamps in a poor reflector. Again, I'm new to this headlight stuff!

HID kits are illegal. They don't meet beam pattern standards (either DOT or ECE). They dazzle oncoming traffic and are very dangerous to operate.

BVH

Flashaholic
Yes, all kits for non-OEM, on-road applications are not legal. In the case of the 2007.5+ model year Silverado, it appears that the projectors accommodate the HID's very nicely with a sharp horizontal cutoff and not very much glare as compared to most retrofits. By comparison, they do not do well in the 2007 and earlier Silverados.

If I get "flashed" frequently, I'll take them out and use them in flashlight mods!

Last edited: