3rd Light Suggestion

BZEP

Newly Enlightened
First off I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their indirect help. I have been reading everything (and I mean everything) on this forum over the last couple days and have made my first 2 "real" flashlight purchases. I got the E01 and a D10 after suggestions from dozens of posts on here. So the D10 will be my EDC and the E01 is my "batteries running low" go to light. I would like to go ahead and get one more. If you only had these 2 guys and you were going to purchase one more to round out your arsenal, what would you get. I imagine I need something with a little more throw. I mainly use flashlights for camping trips, when things go bump in the night, and the occasional power outage. I would like to stay under $150. Thanks again for all the help and the wealth of knowledge on this forum.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest a maglite. Probably a 4 d cell. You can get it in led form for excellent runtime. The aftermarket support is astounding.Everything from multi-emitter designs to hotwires the choice is yours.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Definitly a thrower.

Some posibilities are Tiablo A9 or DereeLight DBC.

With less throw, but more usefull spill: Fenix TK10/TK11 or DereeLight CL1H

Ecko

Newly Enlightened
How about something with a little more power like a Fenix TK10.

Niconical

Enlightened
The choice will depend on the battery.

There are 2 ways to go.

My choice, a 1x18650, 2xCR123A, that sort of size.
Good, but will need a whole new set of rechargeables or primaries.
To me, by far the most obvious choice there, especially with you price range, is a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff drop-in M60. However, there are numerous other options, including more dedicated throwers from the likes of deerelight.

Option 2, in keeping with your E01 (AAA) and D10 (AA), perhaps something in 2xAA format might be a good idea to then be able to keep to AA/AAA (eneloop....) and a single charger. The obvious options there are the Fenix L2D Q5 or an Olight (not sure which one), both available from www.fenix-store.com / www.4sevens.com. That doesn't really give you the extra throw, but it does keep your battery needs simple and give you some great runtime.

Niconical

Enlightened
SF 6P with a Malkoff M60. That's all I have to say about that.

Actually, that's all I wanted to say really, I just felt I should throw in the 2xAA thing to at least attempt to sound impartial, even though I'm not :)

So, OP, for the record, Surefire 6P with M60, go on, you know you want to..... :naughty:

BZEP

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am looking into all of them. Where would I be able to purchase Malkoff products. Also any thoughts on the E2DL or the E1B as my 3rd light? I couldn't find the Deerelight DBC is it DBS, and if so there are a few models of that variety as well? Thanks again.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiconicalRe: 3rd Light Suggestion
Quote:
Actually, that's all I wanted to say really, I just felt I should throw in the 2xAA thing to at least attempt to sound impartial, even though I'm not :)

So, OP, for the record, Surefire 6P with M60, go on, you know you want to..... :naughty:

Impartial? Impartial? There is NO Impartial when it comes to Malkoff's! Niconical that will cost you 12 SF 123's and ALL of your Malkoff's! I'll be waiting for them! LMAO!

BZEP, here is the link and they are on sale now! Good luck and I know you will enjoy them (and yes, you will buy more then 1! LMAO!).

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=7

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Niconical

Enlightened
I think I remember reading once about one of the original Ford model T slogans, something along the lines of "You can have any color you like, as long as it's black".

I will take that same stand, just substitute color and black for light and Malkoff.

As for having "all" my Malkoffs, I only have one :(

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I won't be greedy then! I see you have (2) G2's, you KNOW they're begging for M60L's or M60LL's!

How I have mine set-up is my 6P's have M60's, my black G2L's have M60L's, and my yellow G2L's have M60LL's. Then my black 3C Mag's & black 3D Mags have the C & D Malkoff "drop-ins". I find it makes it a bit easier to know what I'm "grabin".

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Last edited:

fordwillman

Newly Enlightened
A Surefire E2DL or a Tiablo A9 would work great for your 3rd "thrower" light. I have the Tiablo and it is awesome and just ordered an E2DL last night, so I cant confirm how good a thrower it is yet, but will soon. Both of these lights are built to last a long time and put out a long beam. My 2 cents.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There were quite a few threads about the Dereelight DBS, a quick search should pop up a few threads. The DBS is the current best stock LED thrower in that size that I know of. You can also check it in Dereelight's website. It would out throw the Surefires due to the narrow beam and higher output.

How much throw do you want and what size? You price range lets you purchase the lower priced HID lights like the N30(just within your range before shipping is included). They will out throw the LED lights but they will also be larger.

What about a hotwire mod? Lots of output but usually short runtime.

:welcome:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use your light mainly for camping a few comments.

You need a light with long runtime at a reasonable light level. 5 lumens for 2 days might be fine for inside the tent, but once outside, you can deplete the battery in 3 hours (18650 in a Dereelight) or much less on MAX.
Also beware rechargeable batteries only torches. You may not have the power source to recharge them.
I would also recommend the MagLED 22 hours for the 2D to 43 hours for the 4D. Personally I would get the the 2D and spare batteries instead of the bigger & heavier 4D.

LEDs are not good in the woods.
Incans have better colour rendition but lousy runtime.
The Dereelight Q2 5A neutral warm white LED is a reasonable compromise. This option is available for both DBS (3SD only) & CL1H v4 (3SD & 3SM).

Note the Dereelight has 2 kinds of circuit options.
3SD works only with 18650 rechargeable batteries (not recommended in your case due to recharging difficulties in the field).
3SM works with both 18650 and 2*CR123A primary cells.
They also have single mode options but I think the versatility of 3 modes is best.

zven

Enlightened
There are too many options for how best to round out your collection, I think.

The above suggestions are certainly good ones. It'll be hard to choose between them, I imagine. The Dereelight DBS would be great, from all that I hear. Adding some sort of HID light is certainly another way to expand into another realm of utility than what you've already got. And of course it's hard to imagine any flashaholic's collection being complete without some sort of upgraded C or D cell Mag.

My personal recommendation would be the SureFire E2DL. It'll give you great throw (probably not as much as the DBS, though), great output, pocket-able size, and a low mode to use when you need to conserve battery power. Basically, I'd have a hard time thinking of a better camping/power outage/bump in the night/EDC/etc. light, all in one package.

Retinator

Enlightened
What about the Streamlight Supertac?
Sure it eats 123A's, but looks like a good thrower, well under $ 150 as well.

If you get a Mag 2d or 4d, I'd suggest spending the extra for the MagLED instead. It'll quickly pay for itself in battery costs. Plus I can't imagine 'needing' rechargables in them sine they run for so long as it is.

Oh one last thing...........

The general motto here is buy both... but with so many suggestions I think you have your work cut out for you :devil:

Don't worry, no one said you had to get them all at once :whistle::sssh:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I do NOT find the "E" (such as the E2DL) series of SF lights to be good "bump in the night" lights. Their LACK of any USEFUL spill rules them out for me.

If I'm going to be using a flashlight for that purpose, I want it to LIGHT up the room, not send out a "piddly" little "needle point" beam of light. This is where a P/G series SF with a "propper" drop-in is called for (such as the Malkoff M60 in a 6P/9P) or even perhaps a Mag (C or D cell, with a Malkoff drop-in).

I realize not everyone will agree with me, but these are some things you need to consider before deciding on such a light. As you can tell for me, forget the "new" SF TIR E/L series (the L2/L4's are not part of the "new" series, but they would work just fine for such a purpose) and give me a light that can LIGHT 'EM UP!

My .02 FWIW YMMV

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Either SF 6P with M60 or M60F drop in for a great all purpose light, or a Tiablo A9 for a dedicated thrower. You can use primaries or rechargables with both and they are great lights!

mdocod

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

I really must commend you, the fact that you took the time to scrounge the forums and really do some solid research is awesome. Many people don't bother :)

I'd be tempted to add a DereeLight CL1H with smooth reflector, ideally, probably with the 1S 1x18650 powered module. There should be enough left over after the cost of the light to pick up some AW brand protected 18650s and a Pila IBC charger and come in around $150.

The reason I suggest this, is recharge-ability, combined with a power dense cell solution, (18650s rock!), and it's one of the strongest throwers in it's size class and one of the only 18650 powered lights that has good solid flat regulation from the single 18650 cell.

The SureFire 6P with a Malkoff M60 is certainly a good alternative, but is best suited for use with primaries, or take a runtime hit and go with a pair of 3.7V protected RCR123s. IMO, if you are thinking that recharge-ability is important, than try to get into 18650 powered solutions. The only problem with many 1x18650 powered lights like the CL1H, is that they are often dedicated 18650 lights, and will not accept a pair of CR123s as a power backup solution (too much voltage for the module). It's a tradeoff, but IMO, worthwhile, as a single 18650 packs a lot of available energy, and adding a few to the collection can give many hours of available runtime.

Eric