SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171821 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your lights with trits!

Default Re: Show your lights with trits!

193 seconds! Jeez my 30 second shots seem short now! What type of camera setup are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by mohanjude View Post
    The other problem I am finding is that in the dark my Sony Alpha is struggling to get the focus right using the AF setting. As I am using a viewfinder it is quite dififcult to see focus on manual as well.
    Focus with lights on (Use auto or manual), then set the camera on manual focus and switch the lights off.

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    +1

Focus on the rear trits is slightly soft but f/29 is almost f/32, the smallest aperature available on this lens. Another option would be to back the camera away to pick up more DOF & crop the image larger. I'd rather not do that if there's any way around it.
    At F/29 you will get softness in the picture, due to diffraction.

Quote Originally Posted by rockingthe2 View Post
    193 seconds! Jeez my 30 second shots seem short now! What type of camera setup are you using?
    This is usual done on the B setting with a remote shutter switch than can be locked.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Last edited by easilyled; 02-27-2012 at 04:06 AM.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

At F/29 you will get softness in the picture, due to diffraction.
    No doubt that the mid-range f/stops are the sharpest & f/16 is the suggested minimum aperture for the Canon 100mm 2.8 macro. The issue with many images that are shot at high magnification ratios is (as mohanjude pointed out) limited DOF. The best way around that is to use an architectural lens that has tilt & shift or switch to a view camera that has those features - both are expensive solutions. Macro photography is full of compromise.

What type of camera setup are you using?
    Canon Rebel XS-i DSLR. I shot with film SLR's for years so moving over to the digital SLR was easy enough. For people don't want the larger size & greater cost of the DSLR today's high end compact cameras offer almost as much control.

done on the B setting with a remote shutter switch than can be locked.
    Exactly. Camera & lens supported on a shop built lens plate for better support & balance, attached to a tripod, set to B (bulb) with "correct" exposure being a shot in the dark

Both images in post #332 use "light painting" to pick up highlights that would not show in total darkness. The Haiku shown below was shot in total darkness & a flashlight was used to sweep back & forth a few times to pick up details in the titanium:

Without light painting only the green & blue trits were visible.
    Surefireboring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through Precision-Gunsmithing.com

OK I am on fin drilling mission. This time I wanted to make use of the 2mm by 5mm trits that I had originally purchased for the cooling fin mod. These trits are slightly fatter than the usual 1.5mm and I wanted to fit them in the cooling fin. I decided to use my mill and just drill the holes by hand. Afterwards I thought about it and went along to my local CNC machine guy and he made me a little jig so I don't have to spend ages meassuring up.

My little jig template

Cooling fin just slides in - a nice tight fit

I took all you guys tips and hope this shot shows the cooling fin with 2mm x 5mm trits - are pictures any better?

I did cut 4 crenalations into the bezel and sunk 4 trits as well
    Last edited by mohanjude; 03-03-2012 at 06:57 AM.
    During the day when I don't need a torch ... RC is my hobby http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/47842/Always on the lookout for McGizmo/Kuku Titanium torches with Trits..

Very nice work! It turned out great.
    My lightsWTB: Surefire: New/Used/Rare. Currently looking for everything Crosshairs + D2. Interesting trades available.Everybody, just send your lights directly to James - he'll end up with them anyhow, lol. -Kestrel

Looks awesome!

OK I have gone and drilled my 2 Ti2 Cooling fins by hand. I set up the jig and started drilling. I took my time and it took me about 45 minutes each to drill each fin and to clean all the swarf out between the fins

Here is the 2 cooling fin heads

Here is a close of the jig with another Sunwayman Ti cooling fins inside

Jig from the back

Trits installed

I am now done with drilling my cooling fins...
    Last edited by mohanjude; 03-04-2012 at 04:56 AM.
    During the day when I don't need a torch ... RC is my hobby http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/47842/Always on the lookout for McGizmo/Kuku Titanium torches with Trits..

Wow,
    Mohan mission acomplished!
    Awesome work

OK I have gone and drilled my 2 Ti2 Cooling fins by hand. I set up the jig and started drilling. I took my time and it took me about 45 minutes each to drill each fin and to clean all the swarf out between the fins

Here is the 2 cooling fin heads

Here is a close of the jig with another Sunwayman Ti cooling fins inside

Jig from the back

Trits installed

I am now done with drilling my cooling fins...

Very nice Mohan!

I should have you do mine?

I should have you do mine?

Mohan, you da man!

Thanks everyone. Steve you made it possible for everybody to enjoy the cooling fin mod. It really is a nice mod and I am sure everybody who gets the cooling fin mod will be very pleased with the result. It makes the already cool V10r Ti even more attractive.

I was on a mission when I first saw Tain's pictures in december 2011. I wanted one done myself. I was even prepared to pay several hundred dollars to have a fin drilled. I felt like giving up due to the difficulties I encountered as I was not getting anywhere. I was determined to continue. In the end I am glad I used common sense, a bit of local help and gained a lot of knowledge by doing it myself. Not only did I manage to fit 1.5mm x 5mm trits but also the 2mm x 6 trits. I now understand a lot more about machining and can now get involved in a bit of modding. I am going to learn how to mill trit slots next. This is far more difficult for me to learn. I might even design a template like a sleeve for the V10r so I could do it by hand and get the slots placed accurately.

Good job, mohanjude!!

OK I have now run out of trits ... I got the slots - 14 of them waiting on a V10R Ti body. When you add the trits on the fins - 12 Plus bezel 4 and switch 3 - a grand total of 33 trits.

There are 2 trits slots in bottom collar in between earch hole. One area left blank for clip to be drilled and tapped.

There are 8 trits slots on the top collar

All I need is for Bart to send me those trits.. I will then post the complete picture with all the trits in place.
    Last edited by mohanjude; 03-06-2012 at 05:30 AM.

Wow, now you need to find a gieger counter lol

I wonder if your easy experience in drilling has anything to do with grade 2 versus grade 5?

Looks like alot of trits.

Sent from a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away.
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

I have purchased small quantities of Titanium Barstock Grade 5 and CP and my experience you don't need to spend $$ on expensive tools, drill bits.
    Simple drilling and milling of trit slots can be done with a $10 slot cutter attached to the mill.
    There is nothing exceptionally difficult about it and nor was it expensive. to mill the slot I only made 3 passes per slot.
    Now I have done it myself I know that it is relatively effortless and enjoyable. It is nice to be able to do it yourself and not have to rely on other people or spend a fortune.

The Grade 5 Titanium is certainly harder to drill but really not that much more work once you have your setup going.
    Last edited by mohanjude; 03-06-2012 at 11:00 AM.

I was thinking of fitting trits along the 4 groves along the body of the V10R. I milled a 23mm slot which was 3mm deep. I need 23mm vials that are 2mm in diameter. I have actually with me several 23mm x3mm trit vials that are too long. So I had to use 2 different sized vials.

Here is the picture of the 3mm slot.

Here is the trits installed

Wow! That one I like! cool mod there! This brings the total possible trit number to like 60!

I need 23mm vials that are 2mm in diameter.
    Wow!
    I'll see what I can do about the trits.

Steve

That would be really cool if you could - the maximum thickness that the tube can be milled for the slots is 3mm before you will breach the wall of the tube. I can easily find 23mm x 3mm trit tubes. However they stand proud on the grove. If I can find 23mm x 2mm tube they will sit flush inside the groove and I can still apply a coating of norland on top to protect it.

Thinking about this if I did this mod along with the collar grooves I could spend $100's on just tritium on the tube alone.

I think I have now managed to do what I wanted with the slots and hopefully once I have all the tritium in place I can mount all the trits in 1 tube. I do need to think of a interesting colour scheme... got to make it interesting but not too distracting..

Copy that.

I've also emailed my supplier about the 2x23. Will notify when he replies.

Sunwayman V10r Ti Tritium Mod is complete (nearly)

You can see a couple of missing tritium vials on the slots on the collar - this thing eats tritium. It has 36 vials already and will have another 6 when the Kuku Bezel goes on it. I will need a Lead Holster to go with it.. Radiation!!

WOW Mohan!!! Amazing work, it looks beautiful.....can't wait for the final pic with the trit bezel. Really like the color combo too.

And so are these ...

Since these are made from a single solid rod of Ti (except the bezel and tailcap) here they are with a couple of integral folders by Scott Cook and GTC.

覧覧覧覧覧覧
    Tashi Bharucha Design

Very impressive Tashi. I take it that you like them?
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Yes I do.
    I remember the first time I saw the one Tain posted a while back in this thread... My jaw dropped!
    I was lucky to grab the two that were up for sale a few weeks ago and now I'm back to being just one light away from total bliss!
    覧覧覧覧覧覧
    Tashi Bharucha Design

There is just alway's some new Titanium that catches the eye. THUD