4 Sevens
Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1013141516171819202122232425262730 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your lights with trits!

Default Re: Show your lights with trits!

I'm trying to figure this out so an image of Jeff's 36 hole head fin was enlarged, cropped & overlaid with grid:

The diameter of each trit hole appears to be 5.5 grid squares. Don't know what size drill Jeff used but most likely 1.6mm. If so each grid square is 0.29mm.

Separation (or wall thickness) between holes looks like 0.5 grid square or 0.15mm (0.006"). FWIW 20# copier paper is 0.10mm. Pretty tiny. Cannot see any way to fit 36 into the V10R head unless this tiny spacing is maintained.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through www:Precision.Works

I found it challenging to push the holes right to the edge of the fin (10.22mm radius) to get the increased diameter in order to keep the side walls as thick as possible. Having drilled 12, 24, 30 and 36 holes I think I am going to stick to 30 holes at 12 degree spacing. For the sake of 2 degrees and 6 trits I think the extra effort is worth the extra time spent.
    During the day when I don't need a torch ... RC is my hobby http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/47842/Always on the lookout for McGizmo/Kuku Titanium torches with Trits..

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    I'm trying to figure this out so an image of Jeff's 36 hole head fin was enlarged, cropped & overlaid with grid:
    The diameter of each trit hole appears to be 5.5 grid squares. Don't know what size drill Jeff used but most likely 1.6mm. If so each grid square is 0.29mm.

Separation (or wall thickness) between holes looks like 0.5 grid square or 0.15mm (0.006"). FWIW 20# copier paper is 0.10mm. Pretty tiny. Cannot see any way to fit 36 into the V10R head unless this tiny spacing is maintained.
    Wow, I'm amazed you got that close with a grid overlay! Actually, the circumference at the hole centerline is 2.51" / 36 = .070" of real estate for each vial. I am using a 1.55mm (.061") drill, so that leaves .009" between holes. If I did use a 1.6mm drill as you assumed, you're estimate would have been within .002" of actual.

I actually use 1.6mm drill bits as I found that 1.55mm occasionally caused some vials that were 'oversized' not to fit. I have since used 1.6mm drill bits and illustrated by the picture below it can be done.

I decided to take my V10r Ti2 Limited edition 'Gold' apart and drill the fin. Might as well drill a Gold fin. For all those have doubt you can see the regular Ti Bezel protecting the threads of the 'yellow' fin. 36 holes and the micro spacing between holes.

Last edited by mohanjude; 08-18-2012 at 05:40 AM.
    During the day when I don't need a torch ... RC is my hobby http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/47842/Always on the lookout for McGizmo/Kuku Titanium torches with Trits..

Quote Originally Posted by jhanko View Post
    I am using a 1.55mm (.061") drill, so that leaves .009" between holes.
    That makes good sense. Very few twist drills make an on size hole even when new. The Guhring solid carbide comes closer than any other brand and they normally hit size (minus 0.0000mm) & (plus 0.0125mm). Unusual little drills with a 142° point angle & that means using a 142° spotter instead of the normal 135° spotter. No mystery why - a 135° point produces less heat than a 118° & a 142° produces even less heat than a 135°.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through www:Precision.Works

You should open a new thread "show me your trits with a bit of light still visible" for this discussion...

Jeff, haven't you got some nice pics of LF2XT with 3-D tail to post here? I saw Ramon's lights and fell in love...
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Quote Originally Posted by Henk_Lu View Post
    Jeff, haven't you got some nice pics of LF2XT with 3-D tail to post here? I saw Ramon's lights and fell in love...
    You weren't the only one!
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Quote Originally Posted by Henk_Lu View Post
    Yes, I would love to post some but technically the lights are not mine and will be on their way to the owners soon. They have the right to the joy of posting the first pics if they desire. I don't want to take that away.

Man, i can't wait for those pics! ​

Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Beautiful pictures of beautiful lights!
    Here is a list of my lights.

Quote Originally Posted by dlmorgan999 View Post
    Beautiful pictures of beautiful lights!
    +1

Your images look awesome Shelby

Here's a completed 36 hole fin, all loaded up! Click on an image to view a super-duper resolution version (well, as super-duper as my point & shoot will do).

That is amazing! Bet it looks better at night with some UV

Looking forward to receiving mine back now!

Absolutely gorgeous and drool-worthy Jeff!

Wow Jeff

0.009" space between holes is next to nothing. Thanks for the close up well focused images that show the tiny details.

Noticed .... didnt fill one trit hole.. found a bit of swarf at the bottom.. it is tiresome to fill all 36 and not get some swarf trapped. Oh stuck the wrong reflector so couldn't tighten the fin. I need to stop having half a dozen parts on the bench!
    Last edited by mohanjude; 08-13-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Very nice color scheme Mohan!

Looks good Mohan. How you are going to remove all those burrs between the fins without destroying the coating in that area? I never figured out a way to do it, so I refuse all requests to work on coated lights.

Looks good Mohan. How you are going to remove all those burrs between the fins without destroying the coating in that area? I never figured out a way to do it, so I refuse all requests to work on coated lights.
    Jeff - thank you. With the coated lights it is a real pain. I have to gently use a sharp knife and literally slice the burs off. They are relatively thin and can be removed without affecting the rest of the coating. In future if I am going to do this mod I will drill a neutral fin and send it for coating. Did you have much luck with Oerlakion Baalzer?

Damascus + Tritium !!

Last edited by Tain; 08-14-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Wow Tain! That is amazing! Did you make that?!

Here's a completed 36 hole fin, all loaded up! Click on an image to view a super-duper resolution version (well, as super-duper as my point & shoot will do).

Jeff the bore holes you made are so clean! Looks like you even chamfer (right word?) the edges off so there's no "sharp" edges. Hope you understand what I mean

My V10r Ti+ after some awesome work from ukmidnight, and some equally excellent machine work from mohan!

(still trying to learn how to take decent pics...sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    Damascus + Tritium !!

Tain, the pattern achieved by the Damascus maker is extremely nice and unusual.
    (I think jhanko made a reference to it before the crash, which has unfortunately been lost)

I also like the way the pattern is maintained with the head and body screwed together, very beautiful.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!

Mirage Man Fatty and Gavina
    Last edited by smarkum; 08-18-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_Hu View Post
    really glitters nice!

What kind of watch is that? Beautiful.
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Quote Originally Posted by smarkum View Post
    Just installed these trits in already provided spaces. . . have more trits on order. I may put them all around the head. . .

Shelby, did you ever get around to finishing this project? How did you install the trits in those spaces?

Looks great!
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1013141516171819202122232425262730 ... LastLast