Beast B1R Primary Handle

DCarlton

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I just got my Beast B1R and have a question, Do the primary and rechargeable handles LED/OFF/HID switching mechanism 'Feel' different.

The Primary Cell (CR123) handle is not as smooth as the Secondary (Li-ion) handle's rotary switch. The Primary handle feels like it contains a ratchet mechanism, unlike the rechargeable that is smooth like a U2/Kroma/PKEF selector ring.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Dan

ShortArc

Enlightened
I am no expert but I do believe this is "normal". Both switches feel different as you indicated.
Regards.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Surefire, they designed each handle with a unique switch so operators
could easily tell them apart in adverse and/or hostile environments.

"Tactical Braille" is the term.

Enjoy your new light.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Surefire, they designed each handle with a unique switch so operators

Wow who knew? That's pretty cool!:huh:

ShortArc

Enlightened
I don't know....I think the difference in both handle length and color tail bumper would have been enough of a clue for me :grin2:

Enjoy your new light.

DCarlton

Newly Enlightened
I think all the differences add up to aid the user in the differentiation between handles. Clandestine operation may not allow you to use light untill... Its really needed for example and you want it filled with fresh primarys, not a half depleted rechargable.

Using Sight, touch, and feel together may aid memory retention, to help out when its needed.

You put the two handles down next to eachother while changing them, are them distracted for a moment, which ones being replaced?

ShortArc

Enlightened
Sorry, to me the switch thing is complete nonsense. If you can't see the handles for size or color try weight. If you can not remember any of that than, well... To me the rechargeable handle switch is just too easy to manipulate...enough said on my behalf.
PS. The rechargeable handle even has an LED which comes on when then the switch is engaged.

Last edited:

DCarlton

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you about the soft switch its easy to inadvertenty change positions. Had that happen a couple of times already. Also the traffic light charge indicator on the side is a giveaway too.

I do prefer the stiffer switch, 99% of time it will never leave the case though as it is $$££ hungry.

Im going to see if an o ring around the top of the soft switch will help. It should stiffen it up and solve the problem.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, to me the switch thing is complete nonsense. If you can't see the handles for size or color try weight. If you can not remember any of that than, well... To me the rechargeable handle switch is just too easy to manipulate...enough said on my behalf.
PS. The rechargeable handle even has an LED which comes on when then the switch is engaged.

What me and DCarlton are trying to say is it's easy to sit on a living room couch and look at both handles, and easily tell the difference. It's an entirely different story when you have RPG's, AK and mortar rounds flying over your head; all the while your buddies are firing off rounds and shooting back at the enemy, and taking hits as well.

In other words, a chaotic situation vs. sitting on the couch- you be the judge. I'm pretty sure Surefire put it on there for a reason.

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me the rechargeable handle switch is just too easy to manipulate.
Then why not send it back to Surefire? :thinking:

The switch on my rechargeable handle is very stiff and a deliberate action must be taken
to move it on or off, nothing easy about it at all.

Moving my switch requires about the same amount of energy as opening a gallon of milk
for the first time (when you have to break the seal).

Last edited:

ShortArc

Enlightened
Well, guess I will call SF next week for an RMA!

Then why not send it back to Surefire? :thinking:

The switch on my rechargeable handle is very stiff and a deliberate action must be taken
to move it on or off, nothing easy about it at all.

Moving my switch requires about the same amount of energy as opening a gallon of milk
for the first time (when you have to break the seal).

DCarlton

Newly Enlightened
Please keep us updaated how you get on ShortArc I will be very interested.

Also, I was wondering was your loose switch like that from new, or has it loosened up over time. As mine is 2nd hand I don't have any out of the box experience.

Regards
Dan

ShortArc

Enlightened
Out of the box "loose".

Please keep us updaated how you get on ShortArc I will be very interested.

Also, I was wondering was your loose switch like that from new, or has it loosened up over time. As mine is 2nd hand I don't have any out of the box experience.

Regards
Dan

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I obtained an RMA earlier this week and sent off my LiIon handle to have it checked out. It was a little too 'loose' for my tastes and was a tad difficult to keep in the OFF position. I'll post updates as I receive them from CS.

Latest posts