Need recomendations

Kevenater

Newly Enlightened
Don't know how many are familiar with Jug fishing for catfish but i'm getting into it. Now days instead of using milk jugs and such. Most use the foam noodles that are sold for swimming pools and such. we cut them about 14 inches long and tie the line to the end so that when a fish gets on them it'll pull that end down and make the noodle stand up in the water. we wrap a piece of reflective tape around that end of the noodle. I need a bright, fairly long lasting spotlight to shine down the lake to see my noodles at night. Don't want to spend a fortune on one so keep the price reasonable. My brother has a yellow and black light he bought at sams club a few years ago that has the high and low switch on it and the huge reflector. it sounds like the thor i have read about on here but cant remember what sams club called it. I don't want to spend over $60 or so, maybe $70. Just need something pretty bright and that'll last awhile, also need one that can be charged from the boat battery while being used!!!!!! I've noticed some wont charge while turned on. Thanks for any help!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Patriot

Flashaholic
The Sam's Club Power on Board (POB) Typically sells for less that $70. It would likely be more powerful than you need but it would work very well.

Kevenater

Newly Enlightened
Edit: I just realized after rereading your response that the power on board is the pob that was discussed in the posts I had read yesterday on here comparing it and the pro favorite and some others lol. I'll go and reread that and maybe it'll help me. I know I dont need anything all that powerful for what i want to do but i might as well get one that's really strong since i'm gonna buy something anyway. always wanted a really really bright spotlight lol.

Yeah that's the one my brother has. his is 10 million. I like the led lights on the handle. I looked on sams club website and all they list now is an hid light but no pic and not much of a description.... Is the power on board light the same as the thor or any other ones? I know some spotlights I've seen are just labeled a diff brand but look the same. How does the power on board stack up against some of the others i've seen discussed on here in such as the pro's favorite and the costco/harbor freight i've read about and others. Any of them that are in the same price range. Thanks for the help so far!!

Last edited:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
you will definitely want a HID Type light.

such as sam's pob.

The other HIDs like costco/harbor freight would prob be too big for your use.

BVH

Flashaholic
Just remember with HID, there will be a 3-5 second lag time before you will get significant light (50% or so) and then another 10 seconds or so to 100%. But even at the initial time of power-up, you will have 500+- lumens until the 50% mark at 5 seconds or so.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yeah that's the one my brother has. his is 10 million. I like the led lights on the handle. I looked on sams club website and all they list now is an hid light but no pic and not much of a description.... Is the power on board light the same as the thor or any other ones? I know some spotlights I've seen are just labeled a diff brand but look the same. How does the power on board stack up against some of the others i've seen discussed on here in such as the pro's favorite and the costco/harbor freight i've read about and others. Any of them that are in the same price range. Thanks for the help so far!!

No, the POB is not the same as the thor and it doesn't have LEDs in the handle. That is a different light that I don't care for personally. I think you'll be most happy with the POB because it's a more compact and useful light. As Flashanator already mentioned the Pro's and the Costco are huge. Unless you want a huge light don't bother with them. If huge lights are ok then get the Costo/Mega Illuminator, since it's brighter and throws farther than the Pro's. The overall output between the Mega Illuminator and POB are close with a slight edge going to the (MI) because of the warmer color temperature. If you've never experienced HID before it won't matter what you get because they'll all make your jaw drop the first time you use them.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A HID light like the POB and an incan light like a Thor are different.

One uses a spark leaping across a gap and creating light vs using resistance to heat a wire to glowing tempreature. The Spark one(the HID) is much more efficient then the resistant wire(incan) and can throw a lot more too, given the right reflector.

Also the "10 million CP" rating is completely false. They have lots of trouble hitting even 300,000 CP.

I think any of the HIDs mentioned above would work great for your described task. They also have more runtime then most of the Thor type lights.

:welcome:

Kevenater

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys!! I'm trying to get a couple right now on the sams auction. None of the local sams have them on their websites.