Pocket Clip Thread

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Well, it finally happened. I half suspected it would, just not so soon.

This morning, getting out of my truck to go into work, I felt some resistance and then a *snap* *ching ching*. The pocket clip on my Nitecore Extreme snapped just below the mounting screws. I've had this light for a month. I'm going to check out the break under a microscope, but my first impression is that the steel clip looks to be like it was cast. The break surface is very rough with craters and some shiny spots. Looks just like a broken piece of cast iron.

Anyway, as a temporary solution, I've replaced the clip with a stainless one from my Cabelas XPG Light/Knife combo. While looking around the web for replacement clips, I was reading the specs on the ones KnifeKits.com sells. They have one that is identical to the one from the Cabela's knife. Its the 'Model 8 Designer Clip'. I ordered a bunch of clips with the same specs for mounting, and will be trying a number of them to see which one I like the best. I got a few 'flush' fitting type, and a few that let the knife/light 'drop' further down into the pocket.

So what are your experiences with pocket clips and replacing them? Since the Cabela's knife clip fit the NEI, I'd imagine MOST flashlight clips are a standard folding knife clip with a standard spec. Once my order comes in, I'll be able to verify this.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you asked, this is exactly the reason my flashlights are either carried IN the pocket or on the belt, in a holster, NEVER (anymore) on some "clip".

I refuse to lose (and/or ruin) another flashlight by using a clip and also find that they do nothing but "catch" on things (on everything actually, but the worst is seat belts).

Give me a good holster, on a good belt anyday, and for inside the pocket carry, a simple 1AA (Fenix L1T works great for me). Much less problems, NO caught seat belts, NO lights being "pulled" out/lost/broken/ruined.

So, how would I fix it? I'd throw the stupid P.O.S. clip in the trash and get a good holster or put it IN my pocket, that's how I'd fix it, but that's just me.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Last edited:

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the previous poster in that pocket clips tend to be rubbish. However I have found a use for the Fenix pocket clip on my L0D-CE. It nicely sits in the top pocket of my work shirts so it's great as an EDC light for work. I have yet to have the light fall out even when crouching down.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Holster carry is fairly uncomfortable for me, and not particularly professional when I have to give a briefing. When I'm out hiking in the woods or fishing, I generally holster carry, but for every day, one of my EDC requirements is a bezel-down pocket clip.

I've never had a problem in the past with pocket clips, especially on my knives which seem to have very durable, springy stainless steel clips even on the cheapest of knives. I believe the issue is more of clip material and design. The clips that are prone to catching on things have a very pronounced 'slope' at the end, making it easy to get back in the pocket. That's great for performing that task, but makes it an easy target for cords and seatbelts to catch on.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure how the use of a holster is more uncomfortable then clip carry? I must say, if you are using anything near a decent holster, it should be MUCH more comfortable then clip carry. I suggest you look into some good holsters and not cheap ones.

As to the use of a clip on a knife, it is much different then on a light. The size and shape makes a big difference. As I said, I will NOT clip carry a light, however I almost always clip carry at least one knife. The two are not alike.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

precisionworks

Flashaholic
So what are your experiences with pocket clips and replacing them?
There are only three clips that work as they should ... McGizmo, McGizmo, McGizmo:laughing:

You can either buy one of Don's lights & get the clip as part of the package, or buy the clip from Sandwich Shoppe (see dealer section). Your light will NEVER again come out by accident ... I call this the Death Grip Clip:thumbsup:

giz1.jpg

Universal_ClipScrews.jpg

This Titanium Universal Clip will fit most any Flashlight.

Comes with two 4-40 3/16" socket cap screws.

Holes must be drilled and tapped for the clip.

Optional Screws available: 4-40 1/8" socket cap screws.

Current price is $25.00 + shipping at the Sandwich Shoppe.

Last edited:

roguesw

Enlightened
I agree with precisionworks. MCGIZMO all the way!!
My friend has a McGizmo Mclux light with Ti clip that I assembled in 2003
and clipped to pockets and belts that is still as tight as the day it was made.
Thats going on 5 years of daily use and the clip is still going strong.
Having seen his new Ti clips, I have no doubt that they will last a long time.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For the most part, I've had excellent results with my clip-carried lights. Getting into and out of an SUV on a constant basis is part of my job. Holsters really get in the way. Having a light clipped below the belt-line is very comfortable. Never had an issue with snagging.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad that it works for you Moncrom, and I hope that they continue to work for you. But as for me, after "launching" multiple clip attached flashlights over the years, some never found (getting out of a vehicle for a cardiac arrest, working fire, etc. at 3AM doesn't leave much time to find a "launched" flashlight), some ruined, etc. I have my own feelings and expirence (25+ years of EMS/Fire/Tactical Medic & CCW expirence).

I CAN tell you, that if you use a GOOD quality holster, not only will it NOT be uncomfortable, it will protect your light and you.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I usually clip my light inside of my pocket. Light inside the pocket and clip secures it outside the pocket. Baggy cargo shorts/pants FTW!!;)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Having seen his new Ti clips, I have no doubt that they will last a long time.
+1

I go up & down ladders each day, in & out of warehouse racking, under & around machines, etc. Even when a McGiz clip catches something, neither light has ever come out of my pocket - they require a strong pull to extract the light.

use a GOOD quality holster, not only will it NOT be uncomfortable, it will protect your light and you.
The best I've found are by AKJ Concealco (concealco dot com). Not expensive, beautiful quality, perfect fit for a number of lights. He makes each one individually, so it may take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive, but is well worth the wait.

Zenster

Enlightened
It occurred to me a while back that someone could make a killing if they were to specialize in custom clips for the most common lights available.

With all the people who make custom flashlights, I seems to me that there would be room for at least one maker of good clips to fit them all. (But not at $25 a clip).
I've be willing to pay $5 or $6 for a strong, high quality clip if it really worked well and held up.

I mean, jeez, a little metal bending, some heat treating for temper; stuff like that... :popcorn:

gatesy3

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys

My Thrunite ti5 clip has snapped off, does anyone know of a clip that can be attached securely without having to screw on...? I hate carrying this in my pocket.

Thanks guys if you can help

Dave
Liverpool
UK

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ the streamlight microstream clip slides over the tailcap. The microstream is about 13mm where the Ti5 is listed as 14.

The beauty is the clip is a reversible type where you can clip it to a pocket or a ball cap.

The stylus pro is the same size but is a pocket only type.

Don't know where you guys get Streamlight parts from there in Liverpool, but in the States they run about $4 at Streamlight Parts, which is part of their web site.

Depends on the light for this guy whether a clip is used, and the daily duty while carrying. I prefer not to use clips but in certain scenarios will use it. Pocket carry of some sort is prefered, yet if say cramped up working inside a car, an attic etc I'll clip it somewhere it's easy to grab.

No holsters in general. But I have a couple of lights that pocket carrying means destroyed pockets. Yet they are last resort defense items so an open top holster is practical for mega quick access.

Last edited:

dalegribble

Newly Enlightened
How about a replacement for the olight baton series lights? The clips are junk. Anyone know of a replacement?