ICR18650-24E

spykelight

Newly Enlightened
ICR18650-24E Samsung SDI 6A2 recovered from a laptop battery pack.
Are these usable, and how should they be charged ?

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a laptop battery that I suspect has 18650's in it as well, my only question is, are these protected at all or no? What kind of extra care would I need to take if I wanted to harvest them for flashlight use?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
ICR18650-24E Samsung SDI 6A2 recovered from a laptop battery pack.
Are these usable, and how should they be charged ?
Depends on their condition. If they have been overdischarged they are almost certainly dead; if they are charged but very old, they can be charged slowly and used in low-power appliances, but you shouldn't use them in a flashlight.

I've got a laptop battery that I suspect has 18650's in it as well, my only question is, are these protected at all or no? What kind of extra care would I need to take if I wanted to harvest them for flashlight use?
There is always protection circuitry, but it works on the whole pack. The single cells, once harvested, are unprotected.

You should use them in a flashlight with automatic LiIon protection.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I guess then my best bet is to see what the condition is and whether they can be revived or not first. Then, if good, try to trade my my large number of unprotected cells for a smaller number of protected ones. I don't really want to have to think too hard about flashlight batteries.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some flashlights prevent overdischarging by design. The DX "Piston", for instance, doesn't light up from less than 3 volts, and the Little Mini stops working at 2.7. You can use unprotected cells freely with those.