• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Aleph 3 Head Kit? **Any chance of an answer from the Shopppe?**

GVS_Lakers

Banned
I sent a request from your website, but never got a response. Is there any chance you will have more Black A3 heads available?

Thank you

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Aleph 3 Head Kit?

I suggest posting a "Want To Buy" in the marketplace or in Custom B/S/T

I haven't heard of anymore Aleph III's being made---that I know of anyway.

GVS_Lakers

Banned
Re: Aleph 3 Head Kit?

Can someone from the Shoppe chime in here please, inquiries through your website don't seem to work for me.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
GVS, the Aleph line has not been produced for some time, and it is my understanding that the minimum quantities for another run are prohibitive given the waning demand for "old" designs.

Your best bet is to score one on the B/S/T forum, or place a wanted ad. They are out there, but often offerred as complete lights.

Good luck in your search.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there are about two complete Aleph 3 lights on sale in the BST section .....

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's been posted several times. Not sure where.

The current Aleph line pricing was based on a run of parts in the 200-500 piece quantity. That means our investment is 200 A3 heads, 200 A2 heads, 200 A1 heads, 200 flat tail caps, etc etc. There are some 20+ unique parts to the Aleph line not including the different reflectors, lens, orings and other misc parts. In total the Aleph line probably took some $15K (that's $15,000.00) or more capital investment in the beginning to make the parts when the line was more active.

To do a run of say 10 pieces would drive the price of say the A3 head into the $150-$200 price range and that would not include any anodizing. To run some 50-100 pieces would mean a lower cost, but, possibly risk of not selling enough to recoup the cost to run the parts. Let's look at the 10 piece run at $150.00 each. That means my cost would be $150.00 * 10 or $1,500.00 just to have the parts machined. That money is due or invoiced to me when the parts are made. So, the shoppe out of pocket cost is instantly $1,500.00 to get 10 parts machined. Assuming they are machined correctly and not have to be redone (which happens more often than not) then there is the shipping costs to get them to the anodizers and of course the cost of the anodizing. Again, assuming the anodizing is done correct which again gets screwed up quite a lot the parts would then be made available.

You can say my risk is then $1500.00 + shipping + anodizing cost + any redos. Divide that total cost by 10 pieces and that would be the Shoppes cost. Multiply the shoppes costs by two and you would get the end cost value.

There are many ways to price a product. The simplest would be to double the cost of the part so that the initial cost would be recovered after selling 1/2 the stock and any remaining sales would then be profit. That would mean for the 10 piece run we should sell the head alone for a price tag in the range of $400.00.

The problem with that is that who would buy one at that price and how many would we actually sell. We would have to sell at least 5 to just break even and if we didn't sell at least 5 we would actually have a loss.

To make parts in the $40-$60 price range would require the run to be at least 200 pieces. That's not probable at the moment since demand is at best 10-20 if we made more available at the $30.00 price range. If they were $60.00 I would guess we would sell 1/2 that or 5-10 pieces and if they were priced over $100.00 we would be lucky if we sold 1-2 heads.

None of the above scenarios makes a profit for the people who make them so we have been in this catch 22 situation now for over a year.

We would love to make more, but, we also need to make a profit or at least break even. Since CPF demand doesn't appear to justify the means we are not willing to make that investment and have more parts machined and anodized.

The shoppe is our total livelyhood and income. Like everyone else we have bills, mortage, food and everything else that costs $$$. Without a profit from the shoppe we will have to find other sources to stay alive.

If an interest thread comes along that shows there is enough demand and interest and they would be willing to pay the going prices. Then of course I would have no problem picking up the phone and start calling places to get quotes and get the ball rolling.

Wayne

GVS_Lakers

Banned
I thank you for your detailed response, much appreciated. I guess I was just hoping there were a few lying around looking for a new home, again I thank you for taking the time.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's ashame that it's cost prohibitive to make these, such a fine design the A3 head is. I was lucky to score one from the shoppe about a year ago.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too absolutely LOVE the A3 as it it a very nice head that will allow a great veriety of modding choices

I have been extremely fortunate to buy a few and doubt I'd ever consider selling any.

I can understand your reasoning for not being able to make these available again.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I'm fortunate to have just one & would never sell it. I totally understand the circumstances of the matter. Thank you for taking the time to explain it to us for us to understand. Last thing I would want is for the Shoppe not to be able to make a profit & close down. After all it is my absolute favorite place to Shoppe. I find my self placing orders every week. Thanks Wayne & Cindy for keeping the Shoppe open for us. Don't know what I'd do with out the Shoppe being around! :twothumbs

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's ashame that it's cost prohibitive to make these, such a fine design the A3 head is. I was lucky to score one from the shoppe about a year ago.

O, damn. Post didn't go. I lost my whole reply. Bummer.

Well, I'll keep it short. There are other options to offset the cost of making more Aleph stuff. I need to find a revenue source or product that sells well and generates revenue. When that happens I can use that revenue to offset other stuff like the Aleph line or new products.

I have other stuff in the works. Hopefully, something comes along that sells well. :cool:

Wayne

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
O, damn. Post didn't go. I lost my whole reply. Bummer.

Well, I'll keep it short. There are other options to offset the cost of making more Aleph stuff. I need to find a revenue source or product that sells well and generates revenue. When that happens I can use that revenue to offset other stuff like the Aleph line or new products.

I have other stuff in the works. Hopefully, something comes along that sells well. :cool:

Wayne

Excellent! Keep the flashahol coming.:party:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just browsing around the Shoppe and discovered that there were some very nice complete A3 lights in stock, and some had the GDuP to boot. Now that's a nice light.

There are some in black, and a very few in limited chrome and gold plating. I remember a time not very long ago, just prior to the Cree domination, that these would not have lasted a week. And actual market price was well above the Shoppe's. Unfortunately the economic climate has taken it's toll on the custom market. Still, these are great lights and classics that will forever hold their value and desireability witnessed by the few that come up for sale relative to the number out there.

It's nice to see that there are a few new ones left for those who might not otherwise have the opportunity to obtain one. I'm fortunate to have collected enough for myself over the years (for more than the current Shoppe price), and I can't imagine a time I'd want to part with them. They are a modder's delight and the modular flexibility assures they will never be obsolete.