What ideas you have for a booklight?

kland1234

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a good idea for a booklight for my wife to use to read in bed at night. She has gone through all kind of cheapie book lights, and they just don't hold up well. All my nice flashlights, even on low-low settings are too focused. I guess I don't know what lumens are needed, but 2-5 maybe, and a floody well dispersed beam? Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

jefft

Enlightened
I've used my Zebralight Q50 and it works well as it is all flood. I just clip it to the front of my T-shirt when I'm reading in bed and don't want to disturb the wife. I think the low setting is about 2.5 lumens.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I used an energizer 2 white/1 red LED headlamp to read with works pretty good on the head you can move the spot around to read.

roymail

Enlightened
SMJLED PR bulb in a cheap ROV or EverReady 2AA host. Then put a couple of strips of frosted scotch tape over the lens.

The floody output should be good for reading and last and last and last for a real long time. It won't cost much to give it a try.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use an Inova x5 for nighttime reading. It works really well. I just put it on top of the headboard and read myself to sleep.Nice even beam and runs along time on batteries.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of making a headlamp from a $2.80 donor body with no reflector on the Cree. (The one I made with a reflector is fantastic, but not quite ideal for reading.) Total cost just over $9, but arguably not as pretty as a Zebralight.

brucec

Enlightened
To tell you the truth, I don't think you need a flashlight to read in bed. It's not a very demanding lighting task. A nightstand lamp is much easier on the eyes and more convenient. If you must have LEDs, then a wall mounted adjustable light on the wall or headboard is good. Kind of like the ones you see at hotels.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
But a wall mounted adjustable light on the wall wouldn't allow you to read under the covers! :naughty:

amandaiec

Banned
Is this nice for you?
2008733112161584.jpg

20087223281392877.jpg

kland1234

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the ideas guys, I have a zebra q50, not sure I want to give it up for reading:), but I think even on low it will be too bright, but will try it. I think a donorfrankenlight may be worth a try, that is a good idea and I will try to make a frankenmule! Will let you know.

thks again
kbb

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
A headlamp works the best I have found for reading in the dark. I use a Brinkman 2 white led and one red led unit. A one LED headlamp, low powered 5 MM LED not some high powered led would be perfect. You want low and not too bright which reflects off the page, or keeps the sleeping partner, meaning you, awake.

A headlamp shines right where you look, much better than something attached to clothing, the bed, or the book which you have ot readjust every time you move a bit.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You are right, kland1234, about the Z light being too bright even on low. That's why I cut a piece of thin orange/red plastic to go underneath the glare shield. It reduces the output enough and makes the glow more comfortable for the eyes.

Geoff

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I use a Jetbeam JET II IBS; One of its unique features is the removable head/reflector assembly, so the light basically becomes a Mule. On the lowest 2 lumen setting, this provides a perfectly smooth and even source of reading light that won't wake anyone else in the room. Plus with the head removed, the entire light is shorter than a Fenix P1D. Very handy :thumbsup:

Noxonomus

Newly Enlightened
for reading I really like the light produced by my Mighty Bright http://www.mightybright.com/ I think that mine is the XtraFlex Super LED Book Light although when I got it it may have been the only one they made. Its a single LED behind a little plastic lens that give a 90 degree circle of light that is perfectly smooth. Unfortunately the clip isn't great for clipping to books (workable but slightly annoying) so I would probably look at one of their other lights. When they say no hot spots they mean it.