The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to much interest in one of my creations I decided to produce it and become an official full-time modder. I have been a sign manufacturer and installer for the last 14 years and have ran my own sign business for the last 8 years. I have been slowly weening myself from the signs to focus more attention on flashlights. I am now officially full-time with the flashlights.:clap: The name of my company is OMG Lumens. It is more than just a name it is a mission statement. I want everything I make having you saying OMG!.

Throughout the development(about 1000hrs worth) of the DEFT my mind has been exploding with ideas nobody has seen before. I can't wait to reveal these over the coming year.

First up is the DEFT. It stands for Deep Extended Field Thrower.

This is from 703'/214 meters away.
leds012.jpg

and at 1,261'
leds014.jpg

This is the optional diffused lens and Carbon fiber bezel
leds032-1.jpg

I have also designed it for easy upgrading. All you need to do is unscrew the four screws and disconnect the connector to pull it out and replace.
leds079.jpg

Here you can see the glow powder that I use to coat the epoxy. It can actually give enough light to see by for a short time.
leds083.jpg

Here is the pill that can be removed to change bins or tints. I will be offering several different tint and bin options. And will be offering upgrades for people as new bins are released.
leds379.jpg

Hope you like it. Thanks to everyone who have provided me with encouragement in this endeavor. Notably CPF member Gene. Also thank you for those who have been so patient. I can't wait to get these in your hands. -Michael

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now for prices.
I cannot source anymore bare aluminum versions as the factory is not making them at the moment. So for now the only option is black.

Update on pricing. I really do not want to raise prices but I just cannot continue to do them for $150 considering the amount of labor, time and materials. I have steadily improved quality and will continue to do so. I also have many incredible ideas that absolutely must be put into production to advance the state of the art as far as flashlights are concerned. I will not be able to do this if I cannot survive as a company. LuxLuthor has given me some good suggestions and although I agree with him that this light should not be sold without the carbon fiber bezel I will continue to offer that option for those who just do not have the funds. That said I strongly suggest you get it. It is beautiful but the main reason to have it is functional. It protects the lens, allows for head standing(don't underestimate the need for this), and keeps the reflections from the aspheric from shining back at your eyes and ruining your night vision.
I am working on a light right now that will be a statement piece and will knock the socks off of anyone(think Data Bank 70). As a sign of my appreciation for everyone supporting me on the DEFT it will be offered to current customers first. If it does not sell to one of you then it will be offered to all of CPF. It is planned as a one-off design. I cannot give you an exact time as to when it would be ready as I am spending most of my time making the DEFT but I imagine it will be several months. There is a lot of development involved.
Q5 WC emitter
1500mA regulated circuitry

Carbon Fiber bezel $60(highly recommended to protect the lens)

These tints and bins are currently available and prices are as substitute for the standard Q5 WC.
R2 WH emitter $5 *$45
Q2 5A emitter $6 *$46 (only have one left and probably will not be able to get more)
Q3 3A emitter $0 *$40
MC-E 320lm 6C tint(warm white)*$57 (5 in stock)
MC-E 370lm WG
*$59 (5 in stock)
MC-E 280lm 8A or B *$55 (4 in stock)
MC-E 430lm WH *$67 (3 in stock)
* denotes price of pill if buying additional pills and not as substitute for the Q5 WC

Extra lens with "built-in" diffuser. $30
This is not in place of stock smooth lens as all DEFTs come with the smooth lens.

New option. Pelican case fitted for the DEFT. These are very nice cases and will protect your investment while also allowing you to carry the optional diffuser and extra batteries. Here is a link to some pictures of it. The price is $37. There is no extra charge for shipping if ordered at the same time as the light. If you are ordering after the fact the shipping prices will be $10 for the US and $20 international for priority mail.
Shipping is $10 to the US $20 to the rest of the world. If shipped outside of the US you will of course be responsible for any duties, excise taxes and handling fees charged by the carrier or customs. Insurance will be extra. I will not be responsible for lights lost in shipment. To those ordering outside the US I will be putting the real value of the light for customs. I will not knowingly lie. I hope you understand.

This light only comes with 2 o-rings from the factory. I throw those away and replace with new ones and add two more around the lens and bezel. The DEFT will run on alkaline, and energizer e2/Ultimate lithium AAs. The circuitry does work just fine with NiMH(1hr40min runtime on Duracell 2650mAh) as well but they do not fit very well in the body(update duracell/eneloop low self discharge fit fine). So at this time my recommendation is to run Energizer e2 lithium AAs. Run time with these is 2hrs in full regulation. After that it enters what you might call moon mode for several hours.

It takes me about a long time to make these so I cannot produce a whole lot. I will be making them as they are ordered instead of making a huge batch and releasing them for sale. I don't know what demand will be like but I expect to be overwhelmed fairly quickly. Also consider that since it does take me a while to make them there will be a delay from when you show interest and when I can get it done. That said I expect as things go along I will become more proficient at it and will be able to meet demand better.

To start off I would like to know those who are interested and what options you would want. I will use your post in this thread to decide order. Obviously #20 will have to wait longer than #1 so keep this in mind. I accept payment with check but there will be a delay for it to clear. I prefer paypal and after confirming your order will send you an invoice when the time comes for me to build your light.

There is no warranty per se. But I will do everything I can to help resolve any issues that might arise. I'm a pretty reasonable person and will fix it if it was my mistake.
Please try to be reasonable when it comes to tints. There is only so much I can do. Also when picking your tint keep in mind that the tint , due to using an optic and being run at 1.5A, will be slightly bluer than you are used to with it in a reflector. If you have ever seen a bare X-RE's output you will notice that in the center of the beam it is a little more blue than to the edges. The optic catches the center portion of this beam.

Thats all I can think of at the moment if you have any questions let me know. Thank you, Michael

OK here is the list that I have so far. The ones you see ahead of Aircraft800 are those who contacted me prior to this thread and as such go first. Thanks everyone.

1 Gene paid shipped
2 BMF paid shipped
3 LuxLuthor paid shipped
4 radu1976 paid shipped
5 Choppers paid shipped
6 Karlthev paid shipped
7 Aircraft800 paid
8 puzzl3 paid
9 Cowley paid
10 Wolfstyle
11 Addictedmatt
12 PhantomPhoton
13 GVS_Lakers
14 Tanasit R2, CF
15 Daz
16 smopoim86
17 Chris Dallas case, R2, CF, Diff., to Canada
18 omoanya
19 06SilverNismo4x4
20 openbolt1
21 jefft diffused lens, case
22 d1dd1 CF, Int.
23 southpaw R2, CF, + diffused lens
24 zoran R2 , CF , + diffused lens, case
25 steed77 R2, CF
26 darkpeak CF, R2, int.
27 kit R2, CF, to Canada
28 LuxLuthor
29 Kapak Q2 5A, R2, , diff. lens, CF, to Canada(insured), MC-E M bin WH ,delete glow powder, case
30 Patriot36 R2, CF
31 KHT R2, CF
32 Choppers
33 makapuu R2, CF
34 Punchinello R2, CF
35 looman R2, diff, CF
36 Parker VH
37 black bolt R2, Diff, CF, case
38 tx101 CF, R2

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
He said $150

So what's the deal with the R2? You typed "R2 WH emitter $5 *$40" what's the different prices for is it simply adding $40 to the $150? Or subtracting 5 from 150 than adding 40? R2s aren't that much more expensive than Q5s are they?
He wrote that before I had time to update my post with prices.

The Q5 WC is comes with the flashlight at the $150 base price. If instead of the Q5 you want the R2 you would add $5. Thus the total would be $155 plus shipping.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
$40's for the pill if you get it separate, $5 is just the add-on cost to $150 for upgrade from Q5.

My question now =) What is the difference between a Q2 "5A" and a Q3 "3A" - do you literally mean 5 amps and 3 amps, respectively?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
$40's for the pill if you get it separate, $5 is just the add-on cost to $150 for upgrade from Q5.

My question now =) What is the difference between a Q2 "5A" and a Q3 "3A" - do you literally mean 5 amps and 3 amps, respectively?
It refers to the tint bin. Check this thread out. Look at the Cree X Lamp warm white. So 5A would be from about 4000k to 4250k. Whereas the 3A would be cooler at 5000 to 5250. The warmer bins are generally better at color rendition but the down side is a cut in over all brightness.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you come up with the Aspheric lenses? I thought the prototype I saw at the DFW meet was from a Saab Headlight?

This looks awesome, I think I'll have to bite on one of these, fully loaded of course!

beetleguise

Enlightened
Interested!:wave:
R2
glowpowder
bezel
diffuser later-need to see what surprise is!
Just give me a total! Sorry I missed you at the DFW get together. I wanted to see the prototype in action. My ledean that I upgraded really impresses people, I can't wait to blow them away with this one!

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you come up with the Aspheric lenses? I thought the prototype I saw at the DFW meet was from a Saab Headlight?

This looks awesome, I think I'll have to bite on one of these, fully loaded of course!
I am making them myself. There was no way to find enough lenses from old parted Subarus to supply me with the amount I would need for this endeavor. Not to mention how much that would cost. So I started trying to find some place like edmunds optics and the like to source lenses with similar specs but couldn't find anything suitable. They were either crazy expensive(over $800 for one place) or gave a horrible beam. So I decided to make my own using the one you saw at the DFW meet as the template. I cast them in a mold and then polish them. They are made from an optical grade polymer. It actually works better than the stock Subaru lens I started with. The focal length is slightly shorter which allowed me to add an o-ring around the lens that would not have been possible otherwise. And since it is closer to the LED it actually picks up slightly more light.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh lord, I don't think I can pass this up. :devil: Count me interested.

Definitely interested in a carbon fiber bezel. For a throw monster like this I'm looking for a neutral white, not a warm white, so an R2 WH is what I'd want.

I'd have to see some more pictures and beamshots of the filter.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone who has posted interest. I cannot wait for everyone to experience these.

To PhantomPhoton. I posted some beamshots of the diffused lens in my original thread here. I will try and get some more up soon. Along with some pictures of the 3A and 5A tints.

Oh lord, I don't think I can pass this up. :devil: Count me interested.

Definitely interested in a carbon fiber bezel. For a throw monster like this I'm looking for a neutral white, not a warm white, so an R2 WH is what I'd want.

I'd have to see some more pictures and beamshots of the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.