Battery Junction
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inova X5 not Bright eneogh.

Default Re: Inova X5 not Bright eneogh.

I think he meant that the T2 is a little brighter than the T1 (125 vs. 100 lumens). I agree that the T1 or T2 will be a great replacement for your X5. I have the T1 and have had a couple of X5s (both got stolen). The T1 is 100 lumens and the newest X5 (with Nichia CS l.e.d.s) is less than 30. Regulated runtime for the X5 is about 6 hours. Regulated runtime for the T1 is over 4 hours. Tint will be warmer for the T series lights than your blueish light X5.The T2,T3, T4, and T5 will give less runtime but more brightness. I think 100 lumens is enough. Any brighter and you can't use it for close range tasks (hotspot gets to be too bright). Make sure you get the 2008 version T series light. The 2007 T1 is rated for 85 lumens (mine seems a little brighter than the 2008 version) and only lasts 1.5 hours regulated. The 2007 version also uses a K2 l.e.d. so buy from a company verifying which model it is. If you go to a store, look at the runtime and brightness on the box and make sure they're not too low.

Inova does still make great lights. They are now mass producing, obviously the more lights you make the more defective ones will slip thru the cracks, but in general I wouldn't worry about buying a new one. I agree that the T1, T2, or T3 could be good choices for you. They have great "medium" beams, and are significantly brighter than your old X5. I'm not a big Fenix fan, but the P3D is also a very respectable choice here. Honestly this category of lights (2x CR123) is one of the the most saturated on markets (1x AA and 1x CR123 are also up there) so there are many many choices. Surefire, Wolf Eyes, Dereelight and Jetbeam are also worth a mention in this category.
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I currently have a Inova X5 and have for a good bit and its done a decent job. But to be honest it is just not good enough.

I need a light that will give me a much brighter light that is really noticeable. Yesterday I brought my X5 into a place that light from the sun hasn't reached in nearly 100 years or ever. Deep in the bowels of NYC. The X5 didn't give me much visibility is that type of darkness. It was better than if I didn't have a light, but could have been better.

So I honestly need a better light, I have some requiments.

1. LED, I cant have bulbs breaking
    2. I need brightness with longevity. No lights that last 1 hour.
    3. It needs to be portable, like my inova, maybe a little bigger. Its to hard carrying stuff like that.
    4.Waterproof and build tough for possible drops.

Thanks all.
    Hello,

If it is an old X5, with the old leds, why not get a new X5 with the CS leds. That would already make a real difference, I guess.
    Plus you would keep the advantages of the X5 floody beam which works well at close ranges.

Kind regards.

Quote Originally Posted by pbs357 View Post
    Vincent, are you doing URBEX? Killer! Me too - and of all the lights I've tried, my Fenix P3D Q5 is my main handheld light for this. It is very well made, extremely reliable, small enough to pocket carry and extremely versatile thanks to multiple modes of output. Not bad for less than $60USD. May I also recommend a decent headlamp, that was one of the best additions to my Urbex pack. I modified a Princeton Tex EOS with a SSC emitter and it's great, though tons of people here like the Zebralights.

Yep you got it. Ive been to places where my X5 performed nicely. Others the darkness is like a black hole that sucks the light with no sign of it.

The X5 is great for looking at the ground searching for hypodermic needle's and syringes.

Thanks for the recommendations
    Last edited by Vincent; 12-02-2008 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    so the T2 is just a little brighter than the X5. That's a little different that what others have said.
    It is vastly brighter, if you're talking about the 2008 version (T2-MP). It puts 120 lumens out the front.
    Andrew

edit
    Last edited by Vincent; 12-15-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Flashaholic*

I can't recall if the new inova use reflector or optic, but if it use reflector a good way to tell if it's the newer emitter is to look at the yellow die of it. If it's solid slab it's old, if it has tiny holes on them like pin cushion it's new version.

This is about the most helpful forum ive been on, Jeez you guys are great with responses. Thanks everybody.

I do have 1 more question

Is surefire still considered the best production light, or have they kinda past?

Surefire's still solid. They innovate well, but don't adopt the newest technology as fast as, say, Fenix - they spend the time it buys them doing quality assurance and R&D. When Surefire picks up the P7, they'll have an efficient, solid, and intuitive 2x123a torch. Everyone else runs hot, many require exotic batteries like 18650, and are still gonna be brighter. I can't promise anything else, though.

Let me pause to praise the A2 for a moment - I love this thing. It's got a close-range flood that won't blind you, and a medium-range throw that's pushing eighty real-world lumens from an incandescent lamp (enhances contrast). It's solid, durable, and very, very useable.
    Let me pause another moment to praise the Malkoff devices - nothing in its size class throws as well without a rather bigger reflector, and some of these are just... excessive. In a good way.
    Last edited by Chrontius; 08-09-2008 at 01:11 AM.

"Best" is an impossible thing to be.

Many Surefire lights are absolutely great. But they are not perfect (though in the past they've been pretty close for the technology available at the time imho).
    Currently SF is without a doubt NOT the brightest production lights. While they definitely compete, and get the job done you're going to look somewhere else for brightest. Inova is also NOT the brightest (as well as not perfect nor best).
    The way I see SF is they grow in leaps. They have great R&D and at times have pushed toward the bleeding edge of technology. Then they setle down for awhile... at least that's how I personally see it. SF is still king in many respects, just not "brightest."

Inova does have very good performance for the money and some Inova models are brighter than other Surefire models but then again some Surefires are brighter than other Inovas. It all depends... don't let the clerk talk you into a light based on brand name.
    There are so many parameters to consider and so many products to choose from. Just sit back, read and learn, ask questions - and hopefully we can help ya make a good decision.
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    I think he meant that the T2 is a little brighter than the T1 (125 vs. 100 lumens). I agree that the T1 or T2 will be a great replacement for your X5. I have the T1 and have had a couple of X5s (both got stolen). The T1 is 100 lumens and the newest X5 (with Nichia CS l.e.d.s) is less than 30. Regulated runtime for the X5 is about 6 hours. Regulated runtime for the T1 is over 4 hours. Tint will be warmer for the T series lights than your blueish light X5.The T2,T3, T4, and T5 will give less runtime but more brightness. I think 100 lumens is enough. Any brighter and you can't use it for close range tasks (hotspot gets to be too bright). Make sure you get the 2008 version T series light. The 2007 T1 is rated for 85 lumens (mine seems a little brighter than the 2008 version) and only lasts 1.5 hours regulated. The 2007 version also uses a K2 l.e.d. so buy from a company verifying which model it is. If you go to a store, look at the runtime and brightness on the box and make sure they're not too low.
    I was comparing the INOVA T1 vs the INOVA T2.Both the T1 and T2 are much
    brighter than the X5.Thanks for pointing that out as I was already offline.The X5 isn't regulated AFAIK, the 6 hr run time is when the light hits 50%.Even though the X5s output is greatly diminished after 6 hours it should provide at least several more hours of usable light in an emergency.Many regulated high output LED lights will not work once the batteries are depleted to the point where they can not provide enough power to run the light in regulation.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by KeyGrip View Post
    Because Inova started measuring torch lumens.
    I compared my new T1-mp to my P2D-rb100 (on high)
    They look comparable as to output. Sure the T1 has a warmer neutral white CCT

Also the diameter of the window of the T2 is roughly 21mm, vs the 19 of the T1. There is a lot more reflector in the T2.

and it seems that the T2 reflector is a third deeper.
    Last edited by MichaelW; 08-10-2008 at 04:02 PM.
    6.5K diving light, 5K cool-white, 4K neutral-white, 3K warm-white, 2.7K extra warm-white

Depends a lot on what you mean by best. They are pretty good but best varies too much from people to people.

Any of the lights suggested before should work well from what I see.

How does the output of the X5 coloured versions compare with that of the outputs of the colours from the Surefire Kroma and the Milspec Kroma??
    Icon Solo, G2Z M60L - Gunmetal 6P P60L - C2 M60 - E1B - E1L - Black 6P w/R2, Gunmetal 3D Mag w/Malkoff 245L

Inova's output claims have been disputed for a long time now. They generally over-rate their lights' outputs, but they are still good, solid lights as you have found. I have done my own share of exploration, although not in the city (pointers?) and I think the Surefire E1L and E2L are perfect. Runtime is excellent on the newer Cree models and they are tough lights that are also easy to pocket. The G2L/6PL isn't bad either but I would rather trade some of that brightness for runtime and the more I use my E*L lights the more I am convinced that spill isn't as necessary as people make it out to be.

It is hard to define "best" but I think as far as tough, reliable lights go Surefire is hard to beat.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

I gotta put my 2 cents in here . I own and use some of both lights. I have at least 4 SF's and 4 Inova's they are both very good lights and very reliable lights. I wouldn't hesitate to and do use some of both for work
    (Law Enforcement Officer) Bottom line is what works best for you? Don't let some clerk who may or may not know what he/she is talking about sway your decision. Look at the lights you have in mind and go for what you think will meet your needs the best. Hope this helps.
    James
    TigerLight Vers II, ASP Triad, SF Z2, M3, L6, A2, Inova T2,**9-11-01 "Let's Roll"**

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    Inova's output claims have been disputed for a long time now.
    The claims for the newest T-series lights are pretty realistic.

Of course, their past claims were often absurd ("85 lumens" from the original T3?), and this reputation is still haunting them among experienced light buyers.
    Andrew

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by asdalton View Post
    The claims for the newest T-series lights are pretty realistic.

Of course, their past claims were often absurd ("85 lumens" from the original T3?), and this reputation is still haunting them among experienced light buyers.
    I have to agree here.All 5 of the 2008 T-series INOVAs that I purchased have outputs in line with what INOVA claims.These lights look much the same as the older models but their performance is substantially better.

Flashaholic*

Get the Fenix P3D.
    EZCR2;D10;6PL;FENIX T1,P3D,P2D,L2D,L1D,L0D,LD10;PTApex;ZebraL H30;RR K2 3AA hlight;RR Nightfire 2C;Xponent 1xCR2 hlight;MyoXP;Xponent 4AA hlight;6AA & 9AA M*g Hotwire;2D MagLED Lux;4D MagLED NiteIze;3D MagLED Rebel

Surefire G2L or G3L

Very good floody beam with decent enough throw. The Nitrolon plastic is tough as nails. It is lightweight, not cold/hot to touch in extreame temperatures (i.e. cold light in winter) Good enough run times (go G3L if you want best run time) Easy to hold size.

People have and will suggest that the next step for this light is to replace the stock LED with a Malkoff LED, an easy an inexpensive upgrade that will improve runtime and depending on the bulb you choose, you can go from a little bit brighter to A LOT brighter.

I own a G2L in yellow. It lights up rooms in large houses very well in the dark. Very usefull light. Hated the yellow at first, but it has grown on me. I'd actually reccomend a yellow one if you are using it in an area where you may be fumbling in the dark for it.

The prices are right too (around $65 for the G2L and $85-$90 for the G3L) There are no differences in output, but only in runtime. Spend an extra $12 or so on the SF lanyard or holster and you are good to go.

All the G2L/G3Ls have aluminum heads now, so they dont have the step-down in output that the originals had to protect the LED from heat buildup. Just check the head before you buy one though to make certain it is not old-stock of the original plastic head or a modded incan G2/G3. The aluminum head will have flat sides afaik. Dead giveaway without having to take it off.

but keep that X5, from what I understand, they will run for quite a while when most other CR123 lights consider the battery "dead" Good backup light that is tough as nails too.

whats the best place to buy the Fenix P3D, there seems to be different models, I just want the best model.

It seems to be best for me.

Most people recommend buying from 4sevens at Fenix-Store, link to the P3D-CE Q5. The Q5 version is the one with the latest bin of the Cree XR-E LED. It is around 30% brighter then the normal version. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

Flashaholic

+1 on ordering from Fenix-Store. Fast shipping, very reputable, and an authorized dealer with great customer service from what I've heard (never had to send any of my 6 Fenix's back though!). Definitely get the Q5 model, it's the latest and the brightest. Also a suggestion for Urbex, I got the white diffuser tip, and sometimes will let the light hang from my belt at waist level with it on. It lights up the ground and area immediatey in front of you extremely well, and doesn't glare your eyes at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTSX View Post
    Surefire G2L or G3L

Very good floody beam with decent enough throw. The Nitrolon plastic is tough as nails. It is lightweight, not cold/hot to touch in extreame temperatures (i.e. cold light in winter) Good enough run times (go G3L if you want best run time) Easy to hold size.

People have and will suggest that the next step for this light is to replace the stock LED with a Malkoff LED, an easy an inexpensive upgrade that will improve runtime and depending on the bulb you choose, you can go from a little bit brighter to A LOT brighter.

I own a G2L in yellow. It lights up rooms in large houses very well in the dark. Very usefull light. Hated the yellow at first, but it has grown on me. I'd actually reccomend a yellow one if you are using it in an area where you may be fumbling in the dark for it.

The prices are right too (around $65 for the G2L and $85-$90 for the G3L) There are no differences in output, but only in runtime. Spend an extra $12 or so on the SF lanyard or holster and you are good to go.

All the G2L/G3Ls have aluminum heads now, so they dont have the step-down in output that the originals had to protect the LED from heat buildup. Just check the head before you buy one though to make certain it is not old-stock of the original plastic head or a modded incan G2/G3. The aluminum head will have flat sides afaik. Dead giveaway without having to take it off.

but keep that X5, from what I understand, they will run for quite a while when most other CR123 lights consider the battery "dead" Good backup light that is tough as nails too.
    +1 on the Yellow G2L.

Quote Originally Posted by Force Attuned View Post
    How does the output of the X5 coloured versions compare with that of the outputs of the colours from the Surefire Kroma and the Milspec Kroma??
    Very interested
    Icon Solo, G2Z M60L - Gunmetal 6P P60L - C2 M60 - E1B - E1L - Black 6P w/R2, Gunmetal 3D Mag w/Malkoff 245L

Flashaholic*

From the numbers I've seen Kroma color is about 3 lumen. I don't have numbers for X5 colored but if the white is almost 30 lumen they can't be that far off. So in other words X5 should be a whole lot brighter.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jzmtl View Post
    From the numbers I've seen Kroma color is about 3 lumen. I don't have numbers for X5 colored but if the white is almost 30 lumen they can't be that far off. So in other words X5 should be a whole lot brighter.
    I don't really know much about the Kroma but I have the X5 in all the colors.The X5 color leds are much brighter than 3 lumens.I don't have a way to measure but I would say 20 lumens at least for all the colors.Even the UV version produces a lot of visible light.

Is US$30 a good price for the X5??
    What about US$42 for the UV version??

I was one of the people who got in on that Inova sale at Target a few months back. There's a thread on it in the Marketplace somewhere. I picked up two X5s in white (titanium finish) for $6 each and change. Kept one for me and sold one at cost to another cpf member. After playing with my X5 for a while, I think even $30 (which does seem a little less than I've seen it sold for on the web) is way too much for it. Despite the bombproof construction, the light underwhelms me. If it were half the size, maybe I'd be more impressed. Just my opinion.

I myself use 2 Inova X5's, I have a UV and a White.

I use both for Forensic use, the light output is soft and the distribution of light is equal with no hotspots which is ideal for opaque fingerprint examination - so these little X5s are excellent for my use.

The UV version is ideal too, again the distribution of light is really good and, no hotspots which i really like.

So X5's are nice torches, but it really depends on your taste and the proposed use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast